“Great but one Criticism (minor or major is up to you)”

The Landmark Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
Ranked #4 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Outstanding. I think this is better than the MO (or the old hotel as our local friend living in midlevel’s refers to the regular MO versus this hotel as the new one). The rooms and pool are great and so is the service. We were given a room very early for check in which is very nice.

My only criticism (it’s up to you as to whether this is minor or major) and actually almost prevented me from giving it top marks is the hotel appears to have a policy that the L450 rooms can accommodate maximum two guests (including adults and child) only regardless of whether the child shares the bedding with the parents - not sure where I can find this on the website, however (I looked but PM me if you can find it and I can read). We were with a 5 year old who is tiny. Now the king bed in the L450 is bigger IMO than a normal king bed…wider but not longer. The room is huge and is bigger than most hotel rooms in Hong Kong and probably as large as any hotel I have stayed in around the world as far as a standard king size bedded room goes.

I was rather annoyed when I was advised of this policy and accepted the fact that if they needed to push us up to a L600, I would accept that. In fact, told them as such by stating “If, however, as you note below, this is not possible per your hotel “rules”, then by all means, modify the reservation to the room type noted below [The L600].” Personally, it really did not make a huge difference to me in terms of cost to the room. I had a decent corporate rate with them, enjoyed the MO and decided to try out the LMO versus staying at the Four Seasons - this was my wife's choice and neither of us cared about cost.

They then they OK’d the L450 for us after I noted my surprise. That said, on arrival I was given the same run around. Thankfully, had a print out saying the L450 was fine. I should note that this type of policy is not the same at the Four Seasons or the Upper House. Both allow two adults and a child sharing the same bedding. Also, to have to give them evidence it was OK’d on arrival was certainly not something I expected of a 5* hotel and certainly merits a comment about the same here. They even made a photo copy of an email they should have had...in fact, as I recall, they had some emails that I had sent to them. Just not the one saying the L450 is fine...again, I was OK with the L600 but merely noted that to my knowledge, I was not aware of any other hotel where this was an issue with a child the age of ours sharing the same bedding. It should be noted, they said no more than 3. Not, 2 is OK but a 3rd is extra. No third.

Nevertheless, the hotel is a remarkable property. Being provided access to the spa for a shower prior to a room was outstanding. The bar was very nice as was the food in the restaurant. All in all, perhaps the best hotel and services I have stayed in other than the one comment above, which I comment about for others who might be in my situation.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank K J
LamdmarkMandarin, Director of Communications at The Landmark Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2012

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit. It is with regret to learn about your disappointment and the inconveniences caused to you on this occasion, please accept our sincere apologies. Your valuable feedback has been brought to our attention and please rest assured that we will take every necessary step to address these important issues. We would be grateful to contact you personally to discuss this matter further.

Kind regards,

Vivian Li
Director of Communication
vli@mohg.com

There are newer reviews for The Landmark Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong

Reviewed 22 May 2012

I had booked the Meet & Greet service with car transfer to the hotel, and what a delight this was. From the moment I stepped off the plane I was treated like royalty, escorted through immigration and customs, to the waiting Mercedes with water, towels and candy available. On arrival at the hotel, I was greeted and immediately escorted up to my room where the check in was done -- no stop at reception! The luggage arrived instantaneously and I was soon settled in my luxurious accommodation. I had booked the smallest room, L450, but it was more than adequate for my needs -- spacious and comfortable. I had requested a high floor, away from the elevator, and I got exactly that. There was a plate of snacks to welcome me.

Once unpacked, I went down to the concierge who could not have been more helpful in giving me advice and directions, and making bookings for me. The bed was beautifully comfortable and after the long flight from Chicago, I slept like a baby.

Breakfast was included in my rate, and the staff at Amber were wonderful; food excellent. I made use of the spa on my last morning for a pedicure -- without a doubt the best pedi I have ever had in my entire life. They use the Bastien Gonzalez technique and although this was advertised as lasting 60 minutes, it was a full 90 minutes of sheer bliss. I would almost think of flying back to Hong Kong just for a repeat!

My only quibbles: Charging extra for internet seems a bit unnecessary when one is paying the already steep rates that the LMO charges. Also, since my pedi lasted 30 minutes longer that I had anticipated, I asked if I could check out 15 minutes later than 12 noon, and instead of being gracious about this, I had a call from the front desk asking me to hurry as they were fully booked and needed to service the room. Fifteen minutes was all I had asked! That left a somewhat bad taste in my mouth after an otherwise flawless stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Chickering6371

Dear Sir / Madam,

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience at The Landmark Mandarin Oriental. We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay, and that Amber and our spa are to your liking. I would also like to thank you for your constructive feedback on a few aspects of your stay and would be grateful if we could personally discuss with you on how we could improve in the future.

Kind regards,

Vivian Li
Director of Communication
vli@mohg.com

Reviewed 15 May 2012

Flawless service, exceptional location and really stunning rooms. Inside the Landmark Mall and same building as the Central MTR so super convenient.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 2 May 2012 via mobile

Great hotel and great team. The staff seem to remember your name and especially given it is a smaller hotel it seems to have more of a personalized touch which I appreciated. During checkin I had to wait a little which was a little annoying but other than that it was a great experience.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank pest_mik
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Modern, spacious, clean, little touches of luxury, FABULOUS FABULOUS service, superb location. Would have been even better if we did not look into the office workers in the cubicles across (and they at us!), and there was significant noise from the outside although quiet in the hotel itself. However, all this is really no big deal, because this is Hong Kong! Also would have appreciated complimentary wifi. Overall, I like! A real gem! Big thanks to everyone who made our stay wonderful.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family