“Pleasant experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #67 of 712 Hotels in Hong Kong
Europe
“Pleasant experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

Good location, great service and very attentive staff.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

IT was December 29, 2011 when me and my family went to Hong Kong. We are to spend the New Year there. At first, the hotel that I am to book with is Novotel Century Hotel in Wan Chai as I am a long time member of Accor Advantage Plus/A Club. Due to some unforeseen matter with this hotel and the whole Accor Advantage Plus benefit, I opt not to book for this hotel. I started going through TripAdvisor to read reviews of different hotels at Wan Chai in Hong Kong. And here I found a jewel in this area...

Metropark Hotel Wan Chai Hong Kong.

One major reason that I choose this hotel is because of its accessibility from and to the airport. Taking the Cityflyer A11 Bus, it stops right in front of the hotel then going back, just pull the luggage all the way to the 3 moderate blocks back the hotel streets and there the A11 station to airport is (cause that is the route of the bus). Very easy, convenient, and less hassle. Also at the vicinity, a Circle K right across the street, a 711 at the back of the hotel and an Outback Steakhouse, 2 streets away is a Wellcome grocery then beside it a Mannings. To the right is a Maxim Teahouse. To the left, a Pizza Pasta restaurant. Very nice location. A lot of bars at the back street too and different cuising like Thai, Indian, Vietnam, etc.

Now my impression to the hotel. The facade of the hotel is quite presentable and inviting. As we enter the glass auto sliding door, the reception area is not big. From left to right, its their bar lounge area then follows by a couple of steps to the lobby of the 2 elevators with a lovely scent then the whole reception (concierge, front desk) area then a luggage storage area then a stair to the 2nd floor where the dining area is located. This is normal in Hong Kong as space are very expensive in this place. I know they do have a gym but I have not been there so cannot comment on this. As we enter, we are met with a smile and greet by the bell boy/receptionist and they helped us with our luggage.

After waking up 3am to catch a 6:25am Cathay Pacific flight to Hong Kong, we arrived at the hotel around 11:30am, thus I am afraid that we might not be allowed to check in as check in time is till 2pm. To my surprise, they accommodated us immediately and checked us in quickly without any delay. As we go to our room, they helped us with our luggage by sending it up after we are in the room already.

Our room, in Hong Kong standard, is quite big. Its a Triple Room with 3 single beds and a sofa. Of course it comes with a hefty price and since we are staying for New Year, I think it is considered as peak season thus the price is on the high side. What I like is the extra room/space to pack our luggage. At least its not cramp and crowded.

Room also includes free cabled internet. But you can request for a router so that your room became wireless. Toiletries are by 3s too since its a triple room (3 sets of towels, 3 toothbrushes, etc.).

One thing, the towel rack is placed on the other side of the shower in the bath area thus when you take a bath, there is the tendency that the towels will get wet. Therefore, I always remove all the towels and place a towel on top of the toilet's water container prior taking a bath. As for the Shampoo/Conditioner in 1 and Bath Gel, they are in a plastic container bolted to the wall. Need to squeeze the container in order the content to come out below. :)

Another thing on our stay is that upon arriving to our room, I was parched and was looking for the complimentary water but found none. Therefore I thought that there is none. However, I find it strange because all hotels do have complimentary water and this is the first hotel that I encounter that do not have. I did not told the front desk since we went to buy our water already. 3 days passed, on January 1, as we return to our room, there are 3 bottles of Complimentary Water placed on the glass shelf on top of the sink. Therefore I conclude that we are not given complimentary water for the last 3 days.

As for service, the staffs can speak English and they are indeed helpful. They do serve with a smile, which for me is quite rare in Hong kong. They want and do let their guest feel pampered and they are not even a 5 star hotel. And these are the people that you can see and interact with.

Now. What makes this hotel special to me?

With the minor setback I encountered, as my habit while staying in a hotel, prior checking out, as much as possible I make it a point to fill up their COMMENT/SUGGESTION/FEEDBACK Form. Of course with these things, I do not expect a reply from the Mid/Top Management of the hotel. For me, it is like if it reached their Management then great. If from the Front Desk, they throw it away then so be it.

As I arrived to my home country and opened my email, a message from Metropark Hotel Wan Chai is there. It was a reply to the Comment/Feedback/Suggestion Form I left upon checking out. And guess what? The reply is from their Director of Operations!
I am like... "WOW! This hotel's first topmost priority is actually their guest!"
They really give attention to those Comment/S/F Form and by giving a reply to their guest, for me, that was impressive! They mean business on those Forms that people do take for granted. Bravo!!!

With this, I am definitely coming back to this jewel in Wan Chai for stay and will definitely introduce, invite, inform friends about this.

More power to Metropark Hotel Wan Chai!

Room Tip: I do not know about the other rooms but this TRIPLE ROOM is quite spacious and my favorite here is t...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Funtravel712
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2011

We stayed at the Metropark Wan Chai in November of 2011. Upon arrival, we were greeted at the door with staff who took care of our luggage. At the check-in counter, we were pleased to find someone with perfect English who offered us an upgrade to an executive suite for HKD$440. We had to think about it but the check-in agent also offered free buffet breakfast for every day of our stay for 2. We took the offer right away. The suite was fairly large compared to the typical Hong Kong hotel rooms. If we did not go with the upgrade, the room would be very small with little room to walk.

The location was excellent. We took the Airport Express to Hong Kong Station, transferred to Central MTR. From there, 2 MTR stations and we're at Wan Chai. The walk was about 3-4 minutes to the hotel on Henessey Road. The hotel is also near the Wan Chai Tram station which takes you to the Central district where you will find the main financial area. The street behind the hotel is lined with bars and restaurants that are open very late. There was one bar that was 24 hours.

The hotel must have been recently renovated as it was very modern. Although it was on a busy street, the noise was barely noticeable during the night. I recommend this hotel for travelers who are staying on Hong Kong Island under the USD$200/night range.

Room Tip: Ask for free breakfast if you pay for a room upgrade.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank benchmark2020
Falls Church, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2011

The hotel has a great location in the WanChai district, a couple of blocks from the subway, walking distance to the harbor ferry, and close to the area's nightclubs. By booking directly on the hotel's website, i got free internet and an excellent buffet breakfast.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank SteveVA69
Sofia, Bulgaria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2011

Very well situated near the metro and at a good location)
Amazing patience and hospitality of all level of hotels pesonel (reception, restaurant and house keeping)
The hotel staff was excellent in giving advices on where to go and how to spend our time in Hong Kong.
Thank you Metropark for this amazing experience. See you soon
B. Tabakov

Room Tip: write a special request of what you need
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends