See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 10 February 2018 via mobile

Spent 10 days here for a quick family holiday. Booked a king sized bed room and 3 single beds in another.

All staff there were extremely friendly. The hotel was considerably clean except carpets were a bit old and musty. I was expecting small rooms from previous reviews but oh my goodness, you need to see to believe how small it actually is! The only floor space they had was slightly bigger than the size of my large suitcase - if it’s open there will be no walking space. The bathroom only fits one person at a time and the shower was so small that the curtain stuck to your body as you’re trying to clean yourself.

And also, non-existent gym with 3 machines and no weights..

Great hotel if you’re looking for an affordable hotel and about 15mins walking distance to central Mong Kok - but if you’re a claustrophobic then steer clear, even if you’re not one to start off with, you’ll become one after your trip.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank LyV34
Reviewed 25 October 2017

Location:
The room is very quiet for a peaceful sleep. It is not so far from the Prince Edwards metro station. Bit inconvenient if you have heavy suitcases. With a carry-on you will get there walking - 10-15 minutes.

Cleanliness:
Room is clean and fresh towels and toiletries refurnished every day

Staff:
Very helpful. This time around I didn't have a booking and I just walked in

Room size:
It is small and for two people it is quite restrictive. But remember, this is Hong Kong - the densest place on earth.

This is the second time I have been staying. And I would come again.

Room Tip: Ask for corner room that has a window (if you suffer from claustrophobia like me)
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Dorji W
Reviewed 23 October 2017 via mobile

Hotel is small as expected, got to open my luggage on the bed.. but the hotel is fairly new. But do not expect too much from it.. common necessity is provided.. location wise is good as near to sham shui Po

Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank ErnestG239
Reviewed 16 August 2017

As someone who visits Hong Kong regularly (at least once/twice a month for the past several years) I have a good idea of what Hong Kong hotels are like.

I've stayed in at least 30 different hotels in this city and the Lander Hotel (or its sister hotel - Oriental Lander) is the one I've been staying at for most of the past two years.

Good:
a. not expensive;
b. location. 5 minute walk from Prince Edward MTR, 30 minute walk to Mong Kok;
c. lots of shopping/restaurants within walking distance;
d. staff speak good English;
e. housekeeping keep these rooms very clean and mould free (hard to do in this high humidity climate);
f. air con works very well;
g. Rooms are well insulated against outside noise. The Lander is at a junction (Tainan and Boundary) and while Boundary St does get some traffic the road directly in front (Tainan St) is not busy. I usually ask for a room on a higher floor to avoid as much street noise as possible.

Not so good:

a. the single rooms are small, so if you need a bigger room don't book a single. The triple rooms are actually quite big. Anyone familiar with how densely packed Hong Kong is knows real estate is at a premium here, and many hotel rooms and apartments in this city are relatively small. This comes as a bit of a shock to first time visitors;
b. walls are a bit thin and neighbours might be noisy. Whenever this has bothered me (I'm a light sleeper) I just contact reception to ask them to quiet down a bit.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank jvankl
Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

Well...rated this hotel terrible because it was one of the worst stays I've ever had. Let me start with the good. The location is excellent and walking distance to prince Edward station, shopping and tons of restaurants. It was also very clean and provided toothbrush and slippers. However, it was very run down and old. There were signs all over that said no smoking, but the hotel smelled like an ashtray...and that included the inside of my room. The walls are paper thin and you could hear people talking all night. Windows are single panes so I heard traffic and people all night long, only to wake up to banging and loud noises from the construction on the streets early in the morning. I got zero sleep! The bathroom is super tiny, but I knew that would be the case so I wasn't bothered. However, when I say tiny, I mean a tiny closet that barely fits one small woman. When I was checking out, I was unable to get into my room and had to go to front desk 4 times before the desk girl finally came up with me and let me in my room. So frustrating that the key wouldn't work. Anyway, if you want low budget and don't care about all that I mentioned above, take your chances. But, wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo