“Small Room Size ,Limited veg options , An average hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Imperial Hotel

The Imperial Hotel
Ranked #260 of 712 Hotels in Hong Kong
Lodhi colony , New Delhi
“Small Room Size ,Limited veg options , An average hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

I was on a business Trip to Hong Kong where after two of a bad experiences in 2007 & 2009 with Hongkong Hotels, I found the Hotel Imperial. The best thing about this hotel is the location, it’s on the Nathan Road just a minute walk from the metro station. It’s easy to access public transport, shops, cultural centre and star ferry. That was ideal for me.

This time, instead of trying to book myself or straight from Hotel,I booked online a tour package from Antilog Vacations , a travel wholesaler for Hongkong.The rates were cheap & I saved around 20-25% of what wud hv costed me.

The operator guys were there to pick me up at airport.Well dressed.I reached the hotel within an hour & it was a pleasant journey.I was mey by Mr. Chi Kwoon at the reception

Simple well-kept rooms and courteous staff make it a pleasant stay. A great deal for budget professionals indeed. However, if you are looking for the extra frills like pool or night club, etc, this place in not for you. It does make up for all the fun being in the Tsim Sha Tsui district where all the activities and shopping is.

Rooms are clean and service each day is excellent. Not good for families as rooms are not big in size. There is running hot and cold water, the towels are changed everyday, and the rooms are clean every time we get back from a long day of sightseeing. Some of the staff were young and very accommodating when we asked questions and when I requested for an adaptor for my laptop and phone chargers.

My only complaint about the hotel was the service we received from the staff. Everyone was cordial when I checked in and out however when I came to ask for directions and suggestions on where to go and what to do, they were immediately very uptight and unfriendly about it. There is a language gap if u can't speak local language

The best part is the location of hotel and that too for people visiting for business purpose as it is located in the center of Kowloon and pretty close to ferry terminal.

All in all, it was a comfortable stay. We weren't bothered throughout our stay. I will definitely use this hotel again.

Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Chetan B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

I enjoyed staying at this Hotel. I was here for a week with my parents and aunt. The room was large and spacious (more so than I would've thought seeing as space is very limited in HK). It was very close to the subway and as easy place to find with public transit. It was closer to all the higher end hotels that HK is known for and very close to the pier area. It's a bit of a walk from the Women's Outdoor Market but still very reachable.

My only complaint about the hotel was the service we received from the staff. Everyone was cordial when I checked in and out however when I came to ask for directions and suggestions on where to go and what to do, they were immediately very uptight and unfriendly about it. Maybe its because they were not comfortable enough to talk to me about this in English?

Great place to stay but the service could use a lot of work.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Ubud, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2011

I stayed at Imperial Hotel for 4 nights. After reading TA i didn't wish a lot about this hotel except the location. First thing i entered was the lobby. Small, busy and good smell. The staffs were helpful but none of them smiled to the guests, i hadn't seen them smile. They also let me to save my luggage while i was going to Macau (HKD 10/night/luggage) and waiting for my flight after check out.

The room and bathroom was quite small and very simple. The bathroom only fits for 1 person of Asian size for showering. Overall they were so clean. I love the location. Perfect! In the center of tourist area, Tsim Sha Tsui, very close to MTR Station, malls, harbour, and Venue Stars. The most reasonable budget hotel with strategic location. So, i don't care even though the room was small, because i only need that for sleeping.

I will comeback to this hotel when i visit Hong Kong.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank nonatiwi
Baguio, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2011

I stayed in this hotel for three nights last December with my parents and aunt, booking 2 rooms. The location is excellent, surrounded by MTR exit and entrances on virtually all sides, and walking distance from some attractions such as the Old Clock Tower, Avenue of the Stars, Museum, and some malls and outlet shops (Esprit, Giordano) for shopping. It is right beside the much talked about Chung King Mansions which gets a lot of negative reviews for the "questionable crowd". I did see the crowd, but not at all questionable. It's a very clean neighborhood and I didn't find it at all seedy.

The rooms are quite small, but not overly so. There is running hot and cold water, the towels are changed everyday, and the rooms are clean every time we get back from a long day of sightseeing. The staff were young and very accommodating when we asked questions and when I requested for an adaptor for my laptop and phone chargers.

One snag, though. On our second night, the lightbulb in our bathroom went kaput. I recognize I should have brought this to their attention immediately but it was already late at night, and my aunt and I just wanted to go to sleep and not have any hotel staff come in and replace it. I did not inform the front desk later the next day because I figured they would notice it when they go in and clean the room. When we got back, they still haven;t. I do not believe they did not notice it because every time we went out of the room, we turned all the lights off (a habit) and every time we get back, all the lights were on. We had fresh towels, toothbrushes, but the light bulb was not changed.

Also, the booking was made by my cousin and he simply sent us the Hotel Voucher. Nowhere in there were we informed that we had to make a deposit of 100 HKD upon checking in. They asked for it, seriously putting a dent on our budgeted pocket money of HKD that we had to go out and exchange more to make up for it. They did return the whole amount when we checked out. Still, it would've been nicer if they informed us about it beforehand.

Room Tip: Ask for non-smoking rooms.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank jennifer b
singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2011

The hotel is old, there's no doubt about it. But this isn't a 5star hotel, the rooms are cheap, so never raise your expectations too high and get yourself all disappointed. It is better than some of the dorm rooms in the Chung King Mansion next door.
We took the triple room. The room and the bathroom is big, compared to many other hotels in Hongkong. Many new hotels in Hongkong nowadays are so small with no bath tubs, and barely enough walking space. The triple room is a real triple room, not a double bed room with a add-on foldable bed. Small wardrobe though.
Hotel has a washing machine (soap provided) and dryer. You'll have to buy the token from the front desk. The front desk is always busy with incessant requests and demands from North Asian guests. I commend them for their professionalism. I've never seen them lose their temper, and even their trainee was helpful (he's cute when he smiles too). They probably won't go the extra mile because they're so tied up. Still, I've had great service from some of them at the front desk, and had small talk with them on occasions when they did manage to have some free time during odd hours. The housekeeping crew was friendly and paid special attention to us because we met her couple of times when we leave the room during the late mornings. Though newspaper was scarce, she made sure she'll look for a copy for our room. That was sweet of her. Because the hotel is old, and previous guests have obviously been smoking when they shouldn't, the carpet along the corridor has that faint stale cigarette smell.
No free internet. But you can always go across the road to use the free wifi from iSquare.
Location wise, there's the A21 and N21, which brings you to/from the airport directly to the doorstep, and couple of MTR exits all within 3mins walk from the hotel. Not much cheap food options around, though the shopping centres nearby will offer many restaurant choices. Within walking distance from many tourist sites as well. Many Indians/Blacks were touting along the street but they mainly stay clear of the hotel entrance. Quite a safe hotel, nonetheless.
Unless you intend to stay in the room for more than half a day, daily, or you're really fussy about the rooms, otherwise, this is a cheap fuss free hotel you can consider.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family