“Booked deluxe room, but got a dirty bathroom” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Regal Riverside Hotel

Regal Riverside Hotel
Ranked #154 of 712 Hotels in Hong Kong
“Booked deluxe room, but got a dirty bathroom”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

Travel all the way from England with 2 children, would expected a clean room, but the carpet was filthy, bathroom floor had stains, and the bathtub had previous hairs in it, went down and complain and want to change room, instead I got a cleaner to rinse the hairs away with just water, and the floor I ended up clean it myself. My room didn't get mineral water everyday or slippers as my sister room did? Why is it because I complained? My daughter age 10 was terrified because of the dirt that she couldnt sleep, and keep saying I want to go home, I just have to say I will have to consider if I want to stay here ever again.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
RRH_10, General Manager at Regal Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Dear Commentator: We read your comments and regret the inconsistency of your experience vs. your expectations. Some rooms have carpets that require replacements and I trust that we can accomplish such requirements. The bathtub condition is related to service and reflects an extremely rare incident for which we sincerely apologize.
As to slippers and complimentary water, our rate system determines benefits and advantages.
It is always best to reserve a room at the Regal iClub and we specially recommend our renovated rooms as of the 10th floor.
Let us know when you intend to return and we will make good for it to the best extent possible.
Welcome back!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Perth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

Checking in took a very long time but it's understandable in this kind of hotel. There is virtually nothing around the hotel. I spent the most of Feb 13 looking around for cards and flowers for my wife for valentine's day and couldn't find any. Concierge counter was always empty and it took me a few days to realize it was a concierge counter (bigger sign?) Queenie at the desk was helpful and drew me train maps and mall directories but the places to get flowers and cards were too far away I couldn't be bothered. She called us everyday to make sure we were ok and thank us for choosing their hotel... Problem is that the calls were around noon, I was sleeping and had a do-not-disturb sign on the door - the housekeeping staff could've communicated with the front desk. Nice touch but slightly excessive... ;)

Room Tip: Rooms on 10th floor are quite outdated.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
RRH_10, General Manager at Regal Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Dear Commentator: Thank you for your review! The most international environment of our hotel consists of a mega mall complex, a five (5) minute hotel shuttle trip away from the hotel. You find everything there from haberdashers to global brand boutiques, hundreds of them. You will find flower and stationary or postcard boutiques there as well. A huge fresh flower market is located right behind the malls.
The desk you refer to in the lobby is labeled REGAL REWARDS desk and usually Edith, Kitty, Queenie or an Assistant Manager sits there during regular business hours to check in members of our company rewards club.
You are right; the CONCIERGE DESK is a contiguous part of the RECEPTION DESK and it is labeled as such in very large letters. Andy and his team members operate this desk from 6 AM through 11 PM. They are virtually always there to competently assist anybody.
We regret that Queenie disturbed during your lunch nap when she was overly keen to please to find out how you were doing.
When you come back, can we suggest that you explore a bit more the immediate local neighborhood of the hotel? You find all a community of 1 million citizens needs albeit not exactly in the same fashionable glamor as you would find in city center boutiques. Prices are lower in Shatin than in the city center though. You have the choice of your stay between the very costly city center and the more reasonable New Territories. Where accommodation, goods and services are lower priced, usually something has to give. Welcome back!
Brighton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

Stayed here for a couple of nights. Its a very large hotel, but the receptionist was friendly and helpful, and the room was a good size, and the bed comfortable with those lovely crisp sheets. Tea and coffee, complimentary bottled water, and a mini bar were there, and of course a safe. (no extra charge) The bathroom was a good size and toileteries were provided. The loo even had a blue flush. We had views over the river from the front. It was a bit of a walk to the underground station, but the hotel provided complimentary mini-buses every 20 minutes. There was also a mini bus to its sister hotels, so you could get to kowloon on that for free. We got a one day (24 hour from time of issue) travel pass on the trains which cost $55, and found that very useful. When we came back late by train, a taxi was only $22 HKdollars (about £2) on its meter to the hotel.

We did not use any ot the hotels facilities so cannot comment on those. All in all a good stay and would certainly stay again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank BobBrighton_9
RRH_10, General Manager at Regal Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
Dear Commentator: Thank you so much for your objective comments!
Yes, the hotel features some 1,138 rooms and suites, 10 restaurants and bars and 10 function rooms inclusive of 2 ballrooms for 450 person dinners, each.
Guests frequently praise our spacious room dimensions and our beds for their generous sizes, good mattresses, quality linen and pillows.
For guests booking Regal iClub via our website, we offer FREE AIRPORT TRANSFERS, FREE USE OF THE INTERNET, FREE MINI BAR CONTENT, FREE NEWSPAPERS, FREE PRESSING OF ONE SUIT or COSTUME, FREE SNACKS, COFFEE AND TEA, FREE SUNSET OPEN COCKTAIL BAR and more.
This is our way to say thank you for your effort looking us up!
Our bathrooms are of good size and our bathroom toiletries of good quality. Being environmentally aware, we use treated seawater to flush toilets, hence the blue color for such water.
As a courtesy to all registered guests, we offer FREE SHUTTLE SERVICE TO THE CITY CENTER as well as to the NEARBY MEGA MALLS and MTR STATIONS.
Use of public transportation, such as MTR, bus and taxi service directly in front of the hotel is very affordable. Our associates are naturally very friendly, courteous and helpful.
WELCOME BACK!
Auckland, NZ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

Why any one would stay here I do not know. I unfortunately had no choice as this is where my company has decided to keep us in Hong Kong. The rooms are old and need of renovations. The last renovations seem as though they have just given everything a paint over. The bath is dirty and mouldy and the phones are terrible, I could not have a conversation with family as there was a continuous delay. As mentioned before do not book an i-club floor room. Ugly decor , cold floors and no room. Hotel lobby staff do not have a good command of english, had to ask three people before I got an answer to my questions. Do not use the wi-fi as it constantly drops out and the connection is dial speed slow. If you are a chinese tour group from the mainland then this would be Regal indeed but for me this hotel needs some major work.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank tracenjimmy
RRH_10, General Manager at Regal Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2012
Dear Commentator: During the days of celebration of the Chinese New Year, you will find our hotel decorated in the Chinese tradition: Dragons, lanterns, live blossoms, mandarin trees, and more.
You will also find many visitors to Hong Kong from the Mainland. Generally, the period around the celebration weeks is not very attractive to Western Hong Kong visitors, unless they are aficionados of Chinese culture.
As to the renovation standards, you may have different expectations from what you experienced. Our hotel is not a five-star city center hotel, neither are our prices. You seem having stayed at a room on the top floors, not necessarily an iClub room albeit that most iClub rooms are located at floors as of the 10th floor with the exception of the 12th floor at present.
In an ideal world, we would offer all rooms of equally high standard, whereas in the real world, we promote different room categories at different prices. You seem not having selected a top room category yet had set your expectations higher than what you ultimately got.
We recommend iClub rooms on the 13th and 14th floors. They are large and in good condition. The 10th and 11th floors will be in equal condition within this month. The 12th floor is currently under renovation and will be good as of mid-April.
On the other floors, you may find tour groups from anywhere as our hotel has 1,138 rooms.
As to the WIFI consistency, our hotel group is in pursuit of alternative solutions. The command of English of our guest contact associates is quite good to excellent at the Front Office and fair to very good at restaurants and bars. Security and back-of-house associates are not always fluent in a foreign language.
We keep on working at this subject and would love to welcome you back!

Travellers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

You would find it OK if you are one of those people who are in group tours from mainland China, otherwise, keep away from it. The hotel lobby is noisy and crowded, despite men in black suits tried hard to maintain crowd control.

Room that I stayed was small (as compared to over 25 years ago when I stayed with my husband and son when this hotel was newly opened), hardly any space to move from wall to end of bed, and I am size 8!!! I stayed for 9 nts all together, but dreaded to come back to my room despite all the shopping and sightseeing, which never happened before during my many visits to Hong Kong.

Bad positioning of TV which was hung at the corner of the ceiling. You could not watch it properly unless if you are lying down in bed. Did they expect all guests to be semi-invalid?

Very cold room during recent stay, air- con did not deliver what it promised. Advised by housekeeper to turn it off completely as it was blowing cold air out. Managed to chase for a heater to keep warm from her and was grateful for that. (It was not offered by lobby staff when I mentioned to 'man in black suit' in the reception area. He asked me to wait and then disappeared, into the staff office, knowing full well I was standing there, waiting for him to come back with some suggestion). I had to repeat the same to his colleague after waiting for 10 minutes with no response from anyone. I regarded this as very poor customer service and lack of communication skill.

Charges of using internet in business centre is unbelievable, HK$50 per 15 minutes use. This is a lot!!

I was looking forward to visiting this hotel after 25 years, but I will not stay here again, despite the obvious appealing room rate as compared to others. I did not feel comfortable and found the staff impersonal and tense all round.

Room Tip: Newly modernised rooms are small, half size of what they used to be, with TVs being hung up in the...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank pb1954
Dear Commentator: Your first stay at the hotel was 25 years ago. At that time, the top floors were not built yet. These top floor rooms are not ideal for persons who need more space and their pricing are accordingly. We are fully aware of the TV position in the rooms on these floors, the heating installation standards during very cold days as well as the sound proofing of certain walls and can only regret that we did not live up to your expectations.
We recommend that next time you stay at iClub rooms on the 13th and 14th floors. They are large and in good condition. The 10th and 11th floors will be in equal condition within this month. The 12th floor is currently under renovation and will be good as of mid-April.

We recommend that next time you book online at our website and you will benefit from FREE INTERNET and FREE AIRPORT TRANSFERS. Lower room rates do not entail equal benefits and room dimensions.
We are working on employee additions to ensure that the service standards also during peak periods will not be adversely affected.

Thank you for your compliments on our Concierge staff; these team members are truly some of our best. Welcome back!