“4.5 out of 5”

Ranked #11 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
Hong Kong, China
“4.5 out of 5”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I tend to stay at the Island Shangri-la when in HK due to its location (close to Central and also above Pacific Place and Admiralty MTR).

Positives

The staff are excellent throughout the hotel. On my latest trip Ivy from the Spa/pool warrants special praise as does Penny from the Front Desk. 6 out of 5 for her. The room service is quick and the breakfast in Cafe Too outstanding - you need to leave yourself about an hour to deal with it properly (and then go back to your room as you have eaten so much....). The room has a good TV with decent TV channels (but lacks a DVD player). And there is free WiFi throughout the hotel, which is great. The pool is also good and never seems to be busy despite the size of the hotel.

Negatives

The bathrooms can be a bit disappointing depending on what room you get. For the price of the hotel I would expect a separate shower rather than just a bath with a shower attachment. Plus I really don't like the twins rooms and I seem to get those more often these days - the huge king size beds are great but the twins are basically just two singles that are not that big even for a single traveller.

But a good hotel and I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Insist on a king room. And try to get a harbour view, although the mountain view is also quite good...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank TeejTeejTeej

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I try to stay at the Island Shangri-La whenever I travel to HK. I have stayed at many hotels in both Hong Kong and on the Kowloon side and still prefer to stay at the Shangri-La. From the moment you pull up outside the doors you are made to feel welcome. The staff have always been helpful and courteous and the service levels are outstanding. I it sets a benchmark for other hotels to follow. Rooms are spacious with everything that you might need. You get a great view of the harbour through the full size windows. The green tea on arrival is always hot a very refreshing. The buffet restaurant has a wide selection of choice for both breakfast and dinner. However, the service and luxury does come at a cost and it can be expensive.

Just a great place to stay.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 31 March 2012 via mobile

I stay at the Island Shangri-la when I travel to HK and have done so for almost 15 years. If I were to bring my family to HK I would stay here too. The staff are excellent and the hotel rooms, whilst getting a little dated compared to other 5star hotels around Asia, are spacious and very comfortable. The restaurants are great with one of the best Japanese in HK and dont miss the breakfast. Too much to choose from its amazing. Also has a good gym and excellent spa facilities.

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Ooost
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Staff excellent. The hotel is great from the rugs in the elevators so you know the day of the week, to the fresh floral arrangements, to the jasmine tea in the afternoon, to the excellent food in all the restaurants and even the smell of the hotel is awesome!

Room Tip: Become a golden circle member and definitely pay for the "business" floor.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank KerriW62
London
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We arranged hotel transport from the airport and the service swung into action from the moment we left the customs area. We were escorted to our driver and car which was ready for us at the door just a three or four minute walk from the customs exit. There is even WiFi in the car on the 30 minute drive into town. The driver made a very discrete call to the hotel as we neared and on arrival at the hotel we were met at the curb side by staff that escorted us directly to our room and completed our check in there. We had a standard room on the first visit and had opted for a Peak View. There was dense fog so not much of any view and we were glad not to have chosen the harbour view rooms. However, when the fog cleared we had a very good harbour view through the wide-angle plate glass windows.
The rooms are of a good size and have ample storage. Every sort of International electrical plug fitting is recessed away on the desk and there is free WiFi with a good signal. Each room has a dedicated fax machine with its own number so that guests can receive and send messages directly. The hotel also uses it to distribute information, billing summaries and so on. There is no need to describe the bed, fixtures and fitting and bathroom. They were all up to the standard of a hotel of this quality. My only minor complaint with the bathroom was that the shower was over the bath. I prefer a walk in shower and dislike bath-shower combinations which for us older travellers are slippery and difficult to step into and out of. On our return visit two weeks later we opted for a club room and again found the bath-shower combination. I mentioned this in the survey we were asked to complete by email after getting home and had a very nice reply from the Manager noting my preference and saying they would try to accommodate me on this point on my next stay. I will be there again next month so let’s see.
The buffet breakfast is an enormous spread and when I commented that there was no bran in the selection of cereals I was promised that it would be there the next day. It was. On the second visit the same month in a Horizon Club room there is access to the Club Lounge with great harbour views. Breakfast here is almost as lavish as the main buffet breakfast in Café Too, and has the advantage of a full waiter service for the cooked part of the meal, prepared to order.
The hotel is connected to Pacific Plaza along with three other hotels. Admiralty Metro station is nearby and accessible by covered walkway and Admiralty is one stop from Central. Pacific Plaza has many high value shops but seems just a bit on the sterile side compared with the action and buzz of Central.
Three bookings in less than six weeks indicates that the hotel has my approval.

Room Tip: A Peak View room on the club floors is a bit cheaper and with access to the Club Lounge where the Ha...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family