“Another Three Week Stay”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Hong Kong Causeway Bay
Ranked #49 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 27 June 2017

We use this Hotel when we are visiting our son and his family who live in nearby Wan Chai.

Our room again overlooked the Happy Valley Racecourse giving us superb panoramic views into the nearby hills.

We were greeted in Reception upon arrival by a member of staff who had helped us in the past (sorry, have forgotten her name) and she again helped us with the check-in arrangements.

The room was as usual well-appointed and the cleaning ladies were exceptionally thorough and considerate, especially during the few days when I was laid low with a flu virus.

The first morning when we went down for breakfast, the staff very warmly welcomed us as "old friends" (which we are in BOTH senses). My wife had severe mobility problems and each morning the staff helped by carrying her food back to our table. They looked after us exceptionally well.

Whilst we were there, the Kudos Restaurant was undergoing a major overhaul, so the seating and serving areas were somewhat restricted BUT still sufficient. We were unaware of this until we went there. Hence only 4 stars this time. By now the work will have been completed though.

We used Floor 28 a lot and received the warmest welcome and very high standard of service too. Our 15-month old grandson enjoyed himself there too :)

And, finally the men and ladies on the door were fantastically efficient and courteous, including hailing taxis down and explaining in Chinese to each driver where we needed to go.

Room Tip: Ask for a Racecourse when booking
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Deven L, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Hong Kong Causeway Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2017

Dear Ivor W

Thank you very much for your generous compliments towards Crowne Plaza Hong Kong Causeway Bay and choosing us on your return stay.

We are truly happy to hear that your room was well-appointed and our room amenities fit your needs as usual.

It’s also encouraging to hear that our staff went the extra mile to give you and your family great memories by their attention to details and levels of guest recognition.

Hope you had enjoyed your overall visit and we are looking forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon!

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Hotel Hong Kong Causeway Bay

Reviewed 19 June 2017 via mobile

Nice hotel. Good location. Walking distance to shopping and dining. Close to bars. Lobby was too small. No lobby lounge so everyone sat on small lobby couch. Concierge was helpful half the time in getting cab to pull over. Other half we had to hail a cab on our own. Rooms were clean. Restroom was clean but needs washlet. Breakfast buffet was decent but limited for a Crowne Plaza. Overall good hotel. I would recommend to friends.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Deven L, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Hong Kong Causeway Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2017

Dear Saipan_TheMarianas

Thank you very much for leaving your valuable comment and recommending us.

It’s our pleasure to know that your stay with us was generally an enjoyable one and our prime location has allowed you great convenience in exploring the city.

We understand that it is sometimes a headache to find taxi at peak hours in Hong Kong. We would be happy to suggest or assist guests for other possible transports – do let us know when you need help at your next stay.

Hope that we have the chance to serve you again in near future.

Reviewed 15 June 2017

This stay was my very first time in the Crown Plaza Causeway Bay. I had great expectations due to the excellent location as well as the good reputation of Crown Plaza/IHG hotels but this time I was extremely disappointed and I'd like to share at this point the reasons:

1. Wifi issues
Since I am IHG Spire Elite member, there are a couple of nice benefits attached to that status such as free Wifi in your room. Unfortunately, the free Wifi was not working at all and the hotel staff was not capable to get it fixed or provide a solution neither a workaround within 3 days. I had to chase them every day and despite of telling me they will address this problem and get back to me, I have never heard back from them. After 3 days, I finally received a pocket Wifi. I used to get in other hotels such as Pullman within the same day a router installed in my room when I complain about lousy Wifi quality which is a common problems for bigger hotels.

2. Service
Another day, the roof top lounge was occupied by a private pool party, so the hotel guests had to go to the "Pavilion", a level below, instead. First of all, I was told, I can take any free seat. Once I was seated, I was told, that I can't sit here due to reservation. I was asking why they were telling me that I can choose my seat but it seems there were seats reserved and furthermore, why are those reserved seats not labeled as such? The hotel staff started to argue with me in an inappropriate tone giving me the feeling that I am the bad guy not following the rules. At the end of the day, I was reaching out to the manager Mr. Raymond. He is THE man. He was the only hotel staff who truly works customer oriented, knows how to address issues and understands how to build a solid relationship to customers by being professional. This hotel needs more of his kind.

3. Poor English proficiency
Similar to my experience at Crown Plaza Kowloon East, I was encountering the same poor English proficiency issue.
The hotel rates are definitely not cheap and for a proper 5 star hotel, I expect at least for those hotel staff who are talking to customers on a daily basis excellent English skills to avoid mis-communication and give the customer a pleasant feeling. All these small tiny details make at the end of the day for me the ultimate different in total. It's definitely not THE pool or not THE gym or whatever which convinces me to come again. It's how the overall service looks in terms of staff attitude and especially how the hotel is dealing with issues and addressing them.
I believe that the hotels are to a certain extent pretty similar in terms of facilities but they differ from service level.

Conclusion:

Well, I am really questioning myself, why do I need to be a Spire Elite (means, I paid massively money into the IHG hotels) if I don't see a noticeable difference? Nowadays, there are so many different loyalty programs with similar benefits out there so its getting harder for customers to decide which one to choose. So ultimately, service makes the difference.
To be fair to Crown Plaza Causeway Bay: When I checked out, the Front Desk Manager was apologizing for the troubles I had and offered me a Suite Upgrade for my next stay. To be frank: better fix the root cause and not the symptoms ;-)

Cheers,
Simon

Stayed: May 2017
2  Thank Simon R
Deven L, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Hong Kong Causeway Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2017

Dear Simon R

Thank you very much for taking time to share your experience with us.

First of all, please allow me to extend my sincerest apologies for the disappointment and inconvenience caused due to Wi-Fi connection. We strive to make each and every guest’s stay enjoyable and the problems you encountered are definitely not we wish to see. We have shared your comments with relevant department heads to look into the issues and improve the services.

We respect and serve every guest wholeheartedly and deeply regret that our team members might not have performed up to your expectations. Once again, please be assured that your constructive feedback will not be taken lightly and has been passed to management for review. We will also implement relevant training and ensure all team members are aware of our service standards.

Apologize again for the unpleasant experience. It would be grateful if a second chance could be given to us when you visit Hong Kong next time so we can show you our service improvements. Meanwhile, please do not hesitate to get it touch should we can be of assistance further.

Reviewed 13 June 2017

An exceptional hotel, very well located in Causeway Bay, close to shops and restaurants. There's a beautiful modern bar on the top floor serving excellent cocktails and a great happy hour also each evening. Breakfast selection is second to none and they offer a wide variety of choices to suit both Eastern and Western tastes. The rooms are very comfortable, spacious and modern (especially the bathrooms!). My first choice when I visit Hong Kong and look forward to going again soon.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
Deven L, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Hong Kong Causeway Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2017

Dear EvaLondon2017

Thank you for taking time to share your valuable feedback with us on TripAdvisor.

It is fabulous to learn that you had a wonderful time at our hotel and every aspect of your stay has met your expectations. Our prime location is always highly praised by our guests, glad to hear that it has rendered you great convenience in exploring the city.

Thank you for highlighting our breakfast buffet served at Kudos and drinks at our poolside bar Club @28. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Hong Kong!

Reviewed 12 June 2017

Our family of 3, (daughter 15 years old) stayed in this hotel for 4 nights and we really enjoyed the hotel. At the time of check-in, the room type we requested was not available, so we had a upgrade to a family room. The room was really clean and bed and pillow were just nice.

Everyone at the hotel were really helpful. The concierge give us good directions, and provided additional information (e.g. Peak Tram was under maintenance the week we were there) which saved us a lot of time and effort.

The location is excellent to get to Time Square, Sogo, HMV and other shops.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Deven L, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Hong Kong Causeway Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2017

Dear LawrenceFu

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to hear that our Family Room fit your needs and you made good use of our easy access to explore the neighborhood and city. Thank you for your compliments towards our staff, we will definitely share your kind words with Concierge team as this is a great motivation for us to continuously strive for excellence.

We are looking forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon!