“Great lunch good value”

Ranked #2,644 of 11,556 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Neighbourhood: Wong Tai Sin District
Neighbourhood: Wong Tai Sin District
Reviewed 23 August 2018 via mobile

Located next door to the Wong Tai Sin temple in Temple Mall, this Shanghainese restaurant has decent food.

Service is ok considering location and food is perhaps better than the sister restaurant Shanghai Po Po in iSquare Tsim Sha Tsui.

Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

The restaurant is located at right the the entrance of Wong Tai Sin Mall. It is nicely decorated with good ambiance. There are a good variety of food with normal Shanghai style menu and vegetarian menu. We ordered the popular Shanghai style fried noodle, dumplings and soup noodle. Food was served in few minutes but not hot enough. The fried noodle seemed to be cooked beforehand and kept warm. Prices are reasonable.

Reviewed 26 March 2018

they had a clearly marked vegetarian menu. So in I went. Their lunch specials looked very reasonable, but only one vegetarian option, which I wasn’t keen on. Plus, I wasn’t sure if the soup they’d include in the special would be vegetarian or not.

So I went ahead and ordered these tri-colored noodles from the dim sum section. Not realizing they’d be cold, I was a bit disappointed when they arrived so quickly, and cool. But that feeling quickly vanished when I tasted them. They were superb.

The taste was on point, and the noodles texture – chewy and all that – perfect. It wouldn’t be wrong to say I wolfed them down after drizzling it with the chili oil I asked for, but they were perfectly good, even without it.

Some tea to go with it and it was a nice light lunch.

More photos and details on my blog - thevegetarianvoyager[dot]com

Reviewed 21 March 2018

I find it hard to believe that I'm the first person to post an 'Excellent' rated review for "Shanghai Teng" as I eat a lot of Asian food around the World and the lunch I had at Shanghai Teng today was up there as one of the best. The Hot & Sour Soup with Wan Ton (Pork & Veg Dumplings) was superb and the Sauteed Green Beans with Minced Pork was also top quality. The restaurant is just in a mall but it has the charm and character you'd find in much grander locations... It was lovely, as was the service. To top it off the prices are very reasonable with my generously proportioned lunch (2 dishes and a bottle of water) costing HK$150. It's easy to find and get to as well, just leave Wong Tai Sin MTR Station at Exit B3 and take a left turn into The Temple Mall, the restaurant is then right there to the right hand side of the mall entrance. In short a fabulous place for a meal when in the area visiting the 'Sik Sik Yeun Wong Tai Sin Temple' which is a 1 minute walk away... Highly Recommended.

Reviewed 17 February 2017

We went there after visiting Wong Tai Sin Temple. There were many people standing in front of the restaurant so we checked with the staff if we need to take any number. The staff asked for the number of pax then gave us queue number. We only waited for 5 mins and that was our turn - fantastic! I guess because they had many tables in the restaurants. Also they were really fast in their service that the food was delivered to our table in a short period of time after we ordered it.

* Tips: Remember to get your queue number!

We ordered 6-8 dishes and those were really up to the standard with good quality food - didn't expect that in a touristy area. It was satisfying! I would go back again if I were visiting HK next time.

Recommended dishes:
- Special Smoked Duck
- Anything with deep fried salted egg yorks
- Sweet & Sour Fish (Whole fish)
- Shanghai fried Noodle
- Banana and red bean souffle balls

Been to Shanghai Teng? Share your experiences!