“Great location, friendly staff….expensive but worth it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Beijing Hotel

Beijing Hotel
Ranked #225 of 6,449 Hotels in Beijing
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great location, friendly staff….expensive but worth it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 6 nights. It was very expensive for what we expected to pay in China (we thought our money would go further) but it was well worth it! The location was ideal. We were a brisk walk from the closest metro stop, less than a ten minute walk from the main entrance of the Forbidden City & Tiananmen Square, and footsteps from the main shopping square & upscale mall. The hotel had many amenities including a swimming pool, fitness center, shopping & restaurants. We were on the 14th floor with an amazing view of the Forbidden City & Tiananmen Square. Every room has a balcony but they are blocked off from visitor use. The hotel is very old & historic & you can tell that it was renovated multiple times. Our room was very spacious. We had 2 full size beds, a large closet & spacious bathroom with marble tub. Décor was simple & slightly outdated, but clean. Floor was non-smoking, but the hallway smelled of smoke. I noticed visitors smoking by the elevator next to a no smoking sign! The staff was extremely friendly. They booked us great seats at a King Fu show & ordered taxis to sites & to the airport. Buffet meals were very expensive & not included in the price of the room. We ate at the hotel buffet twice. They had a good selection of traditional Chinese food as well as Western breakfast foods. They had a few made-to-order stations like Peking duck at lunchtime and omelets in the morning. Taxi drivers knew of Beijing Hotel so it was easy to communicate with them. We had a great experience here & would definitely stay again if we return to Beijing.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Julia620

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Blandford Forum, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

Doesn't deserve some of the bad reviews in my opinion.
The checkin anbd check out were both efficient. The reception staff were formal and their English wasn't all that good but they did a decent job.
The rooms are spacious and comfortable. Our bathroom needed some redecoration and the bath was slow to fill.
The lifts were remarkably quick and efficient, quite important with nearly 20 floors.
Internet is up to £12 per day and wired only. I think a hotel like that should provide it for free.
Meals were ok. Breakfast had plenty of choice both Chinese and Western and the buffet lunches and dinner were both better than ok. The habit of removing a plate if you as much as put your fork down takes some getting used to and was a bit annoying.
The location is not only central but there is a metro station right outside and their system has some lessons to teach the one in London. All rides 20p!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

This was one of my worst hotel stays ever, and I've stayed in A LOT of hotels. It came recommended by some local Chinese colleagues who felt its proximity to our offices was ideal - NOT! Although the hotel itself is centrally located and just next to Wangfujing, the main downtown shopping area, the service is horrendously rude and lacking in any semblance of graciousness, the rooms were dirty and in very poor condition, and apparently, at this hotel, a non-smoking room is immediately made valid up by taking away the ash tray and spraying some air freshener in the room. And they told me that they didn't know that this was not acceptable to me - WTF???

I can't begin to tell you what a nightmare this place is. The staff can't understand even simple English instructions. There were cheerios left behind by the guest (or maybe several guests) before on the carpet and I went down to ask them would they kindly vacuum the floor. At the same time, I asked for one small square face towel and for them to open the safe because I had accidentally locked it while disinfecting the place with Dettol wipes because everything was so filthy. I don't think I asked for anything out of the ordinary, but I get back to my hotel room over 10 hours later at night and none of the 3 simple things I had asked for was done. I was pissed and called up the front desk and asked to speak to their manager. He was pretty much useless and didn't understand me even when I asked him a simple question like "Do you think I gave you enough time to complete my requests, yes or no?" - no response. Man was I frustrated!

It was only on my way to the airport a few days later that the taxi driver told me that this was a government-run hotel and the staff are rude and have a couldn't-care-less attitude cuz they get paid no matter what and there is virtually no quality control. The people at this hotel epitomizes the worldwide notion that the Chinese are rude and crass. When I told the front desk manager that there were people smoking on the non-smoking floors (the 9th and 10th floors) he said that he had no control over - with extremely bad attitude, with a disdainful toss of his head like it was none of his business. WRONG ANSWER! What kind of warped attitude is that? Even a junior level staff in a reasonable hotel would tell their guest to alert them immediately the next time they discover someone smoking on a non-smoking floor and they would rectify it immediately.

I don't recommend anyone stay at this hotel unless they are into some filthy form of sado-masochism.

Room Tip: Just one word of advice - DON'T GO THERE!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank LiterateItinerant
East Central Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

I have stayed here several times. It is a great location for you to see most of the major tourist sites in Beijing. You can walk to most of them, and have a safe night shopping trip as well. Great for groups, easy access, and friendly service.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

+ very big rooms
+ cheap Internet access in the room
- Rooms were not in any good condition. Most carpets (in rooms and corridors) need to be replaced. They were full of stains. So were the furniture in the rooms.
- The staff at the reception are just rude, unfriendly, and not professional. We waited more than half and hour to be get to the check-in desk and after that they couldnt find our booking for another half an hour!
- Toilet in the room was always clogged. Very disgusting.
- They were trying to save on toilet paper! So two half ones in the room. Good luck if you needed more.
- A coffee in the hotel would cost you 8 Australian dollars!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business