“What A Nightmare!”

FuramaXpress Hotel (Beijing Zhong Guan Cun)
Ranked #3,514 of 6,606 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 17 October 2016

The only decent thing in this hotel is the lobby. The rest was a nightmare!

Checking in took a while because they have no king beds to offer us and were also finding problems in allocating our rooms on the same floor. The horror started when we arrived at our floor. The corridor smelt of mold, it was old and scary. Opened the room door and to my disgust, the room was in super bad condition - wall stains and cracks, broken floor tiles and very old furniture. Well, not just my room apparently! My friends' rooms were the same - OMG!

We decided to head down to ask if they can change our rooms and guess what? The hotel staff was so rude. She said in a very sarcastic tone that since we booked this construction room type through an overseas website, we have to accept it! Also, if the room is a construction room, the hotel should either make clear to travellers or in the best scenario, not sell to travellers at all because we are talking about compromising of safety here. Anyway, the 1st night we had to stay in that broken room because they said there were no rooms available and they can change us to king bed rooms the next day. That night, while me and friend were chatting, wall tiles started falling!

Next morning, we couldn't hold it any longer and we demand better rooms. They had no choice but to agree and we were allocated to slightly better rooms (still no king bed). The whole experience was horrid. Please be smart, choose another hotel!

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank LittleMissVacationer

Reviewed 9 September 2016

I only chose to stay here due to its close proximity to PKU. The room allocated to me the first few weeks wasn't that great. Paint peeling off the walls, the area around the windows leaked when it rained, the toilet was dark. Housekeeping was not too great. I only stayed there that long because of the spacious study area and fast (free) wifi. I had to change rooms because the A/C started making a loud noise but this time I insisted they give me a better room since I have to stay another month. Which they thankfully did. The new room was much bigger, the bedroom and living room were separated and bathroom was large well lit. Although I stayed for two months I feel I overpaid.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 August 2016

Me and my friend stayed there for about 3 weeks, for business. So we only slept and ate breakfast there.
I have to say that the place is poor, yet not horrible or disgusting.
Let's start from room-service. They don't actually clean the room and replacing the sheets once a week or so. they are putting everything back to the place and replacing the towels and toilet paper. We experienced clogged sewers on our staying, and it was fixed the same day (we got out around 8:00 and were back by 17:00 and it worked).
The room itself was in bad shape. I mean in terms of stains on the walls, color peeling from walls, old furniture, one of the lamps didn't work (but I'm sure they would fix it if we told them..).
As for the breakfast, there's like a corridor with tables on the sides. We got to learn NOT go to the restaurant between 7:30 till 8:05, because there's an overflow of guests and the waitress can't handle the mess. So basically you are left with no food or drinks. After we learned it, we came there around 8:10. The food was ok (even though we are from the west and it was kinda hard to get used to eat Chinese cousin in the morning). the waiters are very nice and trying to help you with whatever they can understand (like getting you fork and knife..).
From here I want to say something about the staff. They speak very, very poor English which making the whole thing, very difficult.. but most of the receptionists are trying their best (although there's a few that are very ignorant..). For example, there was an incident with our things and the manager took us to camera room and allowed us to watch the security cameras as long as we wanted, just to help us (I don't want to get in details). it was really great!
On the day that we left, it rained like crazy, no one could get outside without getting soaking wet (also the crazy wind that could knock you down). I mean, if you visited China in the summer, you know what I'm talking about. and of course all the cab drivers were taken, So one of the staff members, went outside to catch the cab for us. We didn't ask him for this.
So basically, yeah. The place looks bad, most of the staff membres are great. So it depends on you what you're looking for.
P.s you get free water bottle every day

Room Tip: we were placed on 7th floor, but we saw that on the 5th there's much better rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I stayed there for 15 days. What I particularly liked about this hotel is the fact that, when you ask ANYTHING from them (check in, make a complaint, check out, get a taxi, what is their opinion on gay marriage in China (I might be kidding about one of them)), they'll just ignore you! They'll talk to each other, pretend they have extremely important phone calls to make by dialing the phone for 10 minutes, and just start talking to the other people that may come after you. I've tried various techniques to gain their attention: jumping around the reception, trying to speak Chinese... Hopefully, at the point when you think you're a ghost and no one can see you, the mirrors of this elegantly designed hotel, pride of the 1995's, will remind you that you are alive! But finally the best way I've found to get their attention is to SHOUT! They will still have ABSOLUTELY no idea what you want but at least they'll try to understand as they'll be as surprised as you were when you discovered a used condom in the nightstand's drawer. So if you shout "I WANT A TAXI NOW!" the odds are they come with extra towels in the next half-hour (which is good as they are VERY stingy when it comes to towels (I only had one small towel)). As I am Parisian, I'm used to be unfairly mean and to shout every time at everyone so, in this way, I am pleased by their endless efforts to make me feel at home.

The room was very average: the numerous cracks on the walls were, somehow, beautiful and gave its charm to the room, the internet was working well enough to allow me to discover what is internet without Facebook or Twitter. Nonetheless, the bedding was dirty. What is actually quite fascinating about the bedding is that they actually change the sheets quite often... to put some other dirty beddings. Yep!

In the restaurant, the chef has a very personal conception of gastronomy. It's like the cooks were TRYING to make the meals as disgusting as possible. The highlight of my trip was when I ordered a meat dish (the photo on the menu looked nice) and all I got were BONES! One of the biggest anger of the trip! Good times!

To conclude, don't go there.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Alexis H
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I stayed at FuramaXpress in Zhong Guan Cun for a month. The room was very nice and confortable and confortable, even if an unpleasant smell was always present in the bathroom, Internet was working well, the hotel is quite near to Peking University and two underground stations, a 7eleven and many good and cheap restaurants and it is quite cheap.
BUT...
The rooms are not very clean, the cleaning ladies always use only a dirty mop on the floor and I never saw them with some sort of cleaning bathroom liquid in their hands.
The staff does not speak English, with a few exceptions, that are not always there, and therefore they always try to avoid to talk to you. If you couple it with the Chinese habit not to respect any cue or precedence, that means you have to wait for hours in front of the desk, until any Chinese customer is served, before being able to have an answer, and even then they will try to do everything they can do to avoid to talk to you.
They are also apparently unable to make the simplest thing an hotel should do for you: call you a taxi. So it's up to you to go in the street with your luggages and find one.
Last but not least, they leave they customers to smoke everywhere, elevators included.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business