USD 220
Official Website
  • Pool
New World Beijing Hotel(Beijing)
USD 165
Shangri-La.com
USD 157
USD 125
  • Pool
All reviewstypical beijingminute walkhutong experiencegreat place to staybus stationforbidden citytianamen squaredumplingstaxi driverxinjiekouhostelcourtyardlanternswallchinaenglishyuan
Reviewed 13 February 2011

I love this place! I stayed here with 9 other girlfriends and we were able to rent the two story guest suite. The place is so cool inside and the staff are friendly and willing to help you with anything. Everything was clean and the breakfast was good. The location is close to the buses and lots of shopping. If you're looking for a great backpackers stop and a fun place to relax this is it! Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 January 2011

We stayed for a week at the Red Lantern (we were in the West yard). The rooms were clean and the staff was helpful, but the area around the guesthouse was lacking a lot of places to eat. Luckily the metro was very close and a quick trip to anywhere you need to go.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RAPlanet
Reviewed 24 November 2010

The whole family of 20 people, from grandfather in his mid 70-ties to the youngest on 2 years, loved staying in Red Lantern House in Beijing. The courtyard in the middel of the rooms was brilliant to play in for the kids, and to have a night cap for the adults - and at the same time being able to watch out for the kids being asleep. There was a "hutong"-kind-of-real-chinese-atmosphere" at the courtyard, with its red lanterns all over. Inside in the reception area, the teenagers gathered with backpackers from all over the world - playing games and chatting. A nice, relaxed mood at the whole place.
It was also easy to get around, as there was a subway station just some minutes down the street - which is far the easiest way to get around in Beijing. A fab "hotpot"-restaurant was nearby as well, along with several really good and inexpencive hairdressers.
We loved Red Lantern, and unitedly voted it as "the best place we stayed", during our month travel throughout China.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 November 2010

I stayed in this ho(s)tel for 7 nights after a week of hard work at a conference. Check-in was at the main building and was welcomed by a not so friendly lady. She informed me that I'd be staying in the East Wing - I think this is where the private rooms are located. I got 'free breakfast' with my booking however it was in the main building and although it was merely a 5 min walk between the two buildings I just found it very inconvenient so never made it to claim my free breakfast.
Staff at the East wing couldn't be any nicer. I was ill during my stay and they were very kind in getting me to the nearest hospital. Their English weren't perfect but I didn't expect that either. It is part of the charm. In the evening the man of the house played on his cello or violin and the common room was always 'buzzing' this was because it was the only place where you have access to Wi-Fi. The area was also very safe. I walked many evenings on my own from the subway station to the hostel - and there were parts that was very dark and quiet.. however not once did I feel scared. All in all... great experience and would definitely recommend this place to my friends and family.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank ItaAmsterdam
Reviewed 30 October 2010

First of all, the place is cheap and convenient if you rely on metro and buses to travel around the city. And their email response is quick and reliable. Before I visit, I have very good impression.

The really bad thing was I got a piece of paper from the front desk for writing note, and the paper they gave me had somebody's passport copy on the back. And they said it was a mistake but we DID see they have 5-10 pieces of "paper/document" like that just sitting next to a printer which is ready to give away. Of cause they said "it's a mistake" and "it never happen again" I don't think I really trust them, I only can hope my document is kept OK.

The first night I stayed with them, it's very standard chinese style room, bed is hard, pillow is flat, room is cold, doona is thin. In the morning, when they served western style breadfast in the house, all the noise transfered and I woke up. In the mid-night, I could hear other guest open and close their doors. I tried to remind myself that I should keep my action soft and quiet because the wall is thin too!

The service desk became helpful when Tina was there, otherwise, we didn't get much useful travelling information there. Tina is very willing to search things for us over the internet if she is not sure.

The wifi didn't work for my windows mobile, but I think it works for people with notebook.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends