Red Lantern House
Sofu Hotel(Beijing)
  • Breakfast included
Huguosi Hotel(Beijing)
View Hotel
All reviewstypical beijinghot waterminute walkgreat place to staybus stationhutong experienceforbidden citytianamen squaredumplingstaxi driverxinjiekouhostelcourtyardlanternschinaenglishyuan
Reviewed 30 November 2017 via mobile

This was my first time in Beijing and the Red Lantern House definitely added to my 'chinese' experience. The interior is beautiful, decorated with traditional red lanterns, a coy pond and authentic furniture. We found it challenging finding somewhere to eat around here as not many places had English menus, however it was close to two train stations and easy to get to tourist spots like the forbidden city. The rooms are clean and comfortable and they can book Beijing tours for you at the desk. We had an early checkout which meant we couldn't get our key deposit back (100 yen) and they couldn't transfer it to us, which was a bit disappointing. But overall a good experience.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2017

I stayed at this hostel twice over the summer, either side of a trip by train to North Korea. I've been to Beijing before for over a week so I wasn't particularly bothered about being very close to the sights.

I would say that if you want to be close to the action as a first time visitor, definitely stay closer to Tianamen Square and the Forbidden City. Beijing is massive and quite difficult to get around - there are a lot of tubes and taxis are impossible to get when it's raining, so better not to waste time being far away.

That said, I loved this hostel! On both occasions I booked one of the private rooms on the first floor and they were lovely - I slept really well, they're very nicely decorated, and the team were very kind helping me with my luggage.

The morning after my first stay I needed to get to the train station in the middle of a tropical storm. They weren't able to get me a taxi for love nor money so one of the guys came out to the main road to try to help me flag one down. We also couldn't get one there so he actually walked me all the way to the tube, helped me down the stairs with my bag, and bought my ticket. I was really jet-lagged and was struggling in the rain & with tiredness. It really was above and beyond the call of duty. He was probably out with me for nearly an hour all in all.

Obviously when I returned the following weekend I was welcomed with open arms and again they were lovely to me. I would recommend the dumplings if you're around in the evening - delicious and a massive portion. The wifi works really well and there was no issue with surfing (get a vpn).

Usually I would prefer a private room with en-suite but there are non at this hostel - the toilets and showers are spotless and very frequently cleaned and I really didn't mind having to pop down to use them. And finally, the hostel has two small kittens - Tiger and Leopard - as I'm a cat person this was an added bonus.

Should I need to be in Beijing again I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 April 2017

The lobby of this hostel is very nice. The courtyard, nearby, the rooms, was also very nice. The room was clean, although a bit outdated. Service is OK, they speak English. Breakfast was a bit overpriced. They offer laundry services, but quite expensive. This hostel is located in a nice hutong. There is a nice halal restaurant down the street.

Be aware that the subway is on a 15 minute walking distance.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 February 2017

The location was to the west instead to the east where is the most busy area. The room was a little dark, it was autumn season, room temperature was pleasant, the staff were ok and friendly. If you are tight on budget, it can be your choice, but if you want to pay 100 yuan more per night, go for a hostel to the east might be a better choice.

The place is a little hard to find as we arrives late at beijing international airport, in the darkness, the taxi driver went following a gps, and it was inside a yard where we found the reception.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank davidzhu112
Reviewed 2 January 2017 via mobile

This hostel is lovely and very well located close to the metro (10min walking). The internal decoration is typically chinese and very nice with aquariums, plants, lantern, great !
The rooms are furnished with comfort, of course like in an hostel. The heating works well hopefully, we were there in Deceber with -5C outside.
The staff is very helpful, ready to find solitipns ro any issue and give directions to the tourists. In our case the bathrooms located in the yard were cold and not working properly regarding the quantity of hot water available, they managed to fix it for us (but this needs an overhaul in the future).
So worth the money and again very typical. Bear in mond this is an hostel of course and comfort expectations should be adjusted.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family