All reviews typical beijing minute walk hutong neighborhood great place to stay bus station forbidden city tianamen square dumplings english speaking staff xinjiekou hostel courtyard lanterns wall china yuan earplugs
Reviewed 26 February 2012

This is a very nice place to stay. This price is good and for what you get, is great value. The rooms are beautifully decorated and well kept. The staff are lovely. The restaurant serves delcious food and the location can't be beat. www.bjredlantern.com

Date of stay: December 2011
Reviewed 21 January 2012

We've slept in the main building for our first night. After 20 hours flight we were really tired. The room was on the mezzanine and we can heard people chatting in the living room on the first floor. On the next night, we asked to change for the west yard building which is a little further from the main building (5 mins walk from Ping'ali subway station). The place was really quiet and beautiful. The room was clean, the bed a little hard (such as many many many hostel in china) and they came to clean the room every morning. Shower and american toilet was clean too. Very friendly and professionnal staff. Laudry service, free internet access in the room or 2 computers ($) in the living room, western food and a lot of tour booking services. If you want to eat duck, there is a good restaurant on ping'ali street near the west yard, I don't remember the name but there is an huge illuminated pig on the front. It's on the second floor.

Date of stay: November 2011
2  Thank AllonsNousPerdre
Reviewed 16 January 2012

I stayed here by myself in Nov of 2010 starting a month long journey through China and Vietnam. And first, they went WAY out of their way waiting for me for 2hrs at the airport while I arranged to have my lost luggage delivered. No complaints on their part only smiles and gratitude for staying with them. They refused my tip when we got to the hostel....said it was part of the job. I had a private room and bath which was very inexpensive, warm, well decorated, clean and had wi-fi in the room 90% of the time. The main area across their adorable patio with a giant persimmon tree, always had internet. (3-4 computers, very cheap). The food there was yummy and they had a real cozy decor. 2 blocks down the street there was an awesome food market, everything from bread and crepes to seafood, tea and fruits. People were so friendly, loved to be photographed and liked interacting with you. There are several restaurants, musical instrument shops and clothing shops within 2 minutes of the Hutong. The bus system is right down the street and the metro is about a 5 minute walk. Lots of taxis and bikes and the best part is -everyone is Chinese. You feel like you are in China with a few tourists here and there. It really made the trip for me to stay here. They arranged an awesome trip to the Great Wall and wrote notes for the bus drivers in Chinese so they could make sure I got off on the right stop when I travelled alone. So sweet! They also played some of their Chinese instruments so I could hear what they sounded like. And, I met some fabulous people there at the hostel. 1 owned a circus in Colombia, 1 was a molecular scientist from Mexico and the other was an MD from the Philippines. I highly recommend the Red Lantern. It was the beginning of a fabulous trip! Thank you!

Room tip: Get a private room. They have wi-fi are quiet and have a beautiful patio
Date of stay: February 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 10 January 2012

My whole family with four teenagers stayed at the Red Lantern from just after Christmas through New Years 2012. We had the most wonderful time. The staff is extremely helpful, kind and funny. They go out of their way to care for you and do it from their hearts. We will always be grateful for the wonderful time in Beijing and all the kindness of the Red Lantern staff and family. Hi to puppy Michael!

Room tip: The beds were comfortable and clean. The breakfasts were wonderful and the staff is incredibly kind and helpful. They made our stay in Beijing wonderful. The kids are already talking about going back.
Date of stay: December 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 27 December 2011

I had fun at this place. First, it made me feel like I was really in China. I am so happy I opted to choose an inn instead of a western looking hotel. The location was also good, very near the metrotrain and bus station. Food is also everywhere. The only problem I had was the heater at our room was busted the first night leaving us freezing at a minus 8 degree weather. It was fixed immediately the following day.
Everybody was helpful and can speak a little English. Cash payments only.

Date of stay: February 2011