“Not so much to see but interesting”

Zhoukoudian Peking Man Site
Book In Advance
More Info
USD 46.00*
and up
All Inclusive Private Day Trip to Peking Man Site, Stone Flower Cave and Marco...
Ranked #263 of 1,616 things to do in Beijing
More attraction details
Owner description: “Peking Man” was the nickname given to the human fossils dating as far back as 18,000 – 11,000 B.C. that were discovered in this small Chinese village. ,
Reviewed 24 April 2015

I went to the Peking Man World Heritage site by public buses from Beijing and it is quite a lengthy journey. The area is well looked after with neatly trimmed paths, good signposts and viewing points. I found the caves fascinating even though there is not so much to see. As a child, I was always interested in 'cavemen' and this was the real thing. There are interesting explanations in English at the various stopping points on the trail and you can go inside some of the caves.

4  Thank Roaming2011

Reviewed 5 January 2015

Since my children were learning about stone age etc, we thought it would be a good place for a little education in the midst of our holiday. Old fossils and bones are displayed with explanation in a museum. There is even a 3D film about the Peking Man but only two shows per day (one at 10am and another at 3.30pm approx). A good learning experience for both young and old about the evolution of mankind.

3  Thank Speis75
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We had previously done most of the more well known attractions of Beijing so decided on a visit to this site. The new Museum that has just opened is first class and would be enjoyed by all including children. It is about 45 minutes from the centre of Beijing but other attractions such as the Stone Flower caves and the Logue Bridge can be included in a one day trip.
First class and thoroughly enjoyed

2  Thank Keithfoster
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Having first heard of Peking Man in anthropology classes in university, I had to visit the site while living in China. It's true that there is not a whole lot for average tourists but those with an interest in the field will likely enjoy it. Having a car, I drove out, which was straightforward enough. Travel time was around 75 minutes there, with medium traffic. A bad accident added another 30 min on the return leg. The site is pleasant to wander around and well signed. Although the main site (#1) is a bit confusing - two groups of Chinese asked me for help to find it (some signs say "Peking Man" and other refer by number "1" - same place). It was nice to see locals interested in the history, including some nice elderly folks I kept running into. If you are in Beijing for a long time, make the trip and use it as a reason to get out of the city for a day to see a UNESCO site.

4  Thank WaynePod
Reviewed 7 October 2013

This site is my favorite site in Beijing partly for I majored in Anthropology at University. I took the subway to Suzhuan station and then transferred to bus 917. I like the Upper Cave and the exhibition of the museum. This site is good for discovery tour or education tour.

1  Thank Billy Z