“For an average person, this is not terribly of interest”

Zhoukoudian Peking Man Site
Book In Advance
More Info
USD 46.00*
and up
All Inclusive Private Day Trip to Peking Man Site, Stone Flower Cave and Marco...
Ranked #233 of 1,616 things to do in Beijing
More attraction details
Owner description: “Peking Man” was the nickname given to the human fossils dating as far back as 18,000 – 11,000 B.C. that were discovered in this small Chinese village. ,
Reviewed 20 May 2012

I decided to go to the Zhoukoudian site to get out of Beijing and to do something different. For an archaeologist, this might be terrific but as a tourist, this is an attraction that can be skipped. Despite the excellent directions provided here, I ended up hiring a car to get here so the trip was relatively fast.

What I liked:

I loved getting out of Beijing and having the chance to do some walking. The site is on a hill and, like many things in China, is not handicap accessible but there are nice paths that are well shaded. There are several animal sculptures throughout the park which does give you a sense of the size of the animals that were also found in the caves.

There was a small museum that had a good collection of the fossils and bones (or replicas) which were interesting. There were several booths with animations that showed various aspects of human life which were also in English and somewhat entertaining.

What I didn't like:

In general, there was not enough to read in order to learn more about what you were looking at. If you didn't know much about Peking man before visiting, you would not have learned much more after going to this site.

The site was much smaller than I expected. I was hoping for a couple of hours of beautiful scenery but the entire trip was less than an hour.

4  Thank NotThereYet59

Reviewed 18 April 2012

I enjoyed my trip out here. It may not be the most enthralling World Heritage Site but it did provide a nice way to get off the beaten track from the Chinese capital.

Just thought I would post some details on getting to Peking Man site on public transport, as there wasn't anywhere that had a full run down when I was looking:

You will need bus 917.
Busses leave regularly (every 10/15 minutes) from Tianqiao Bus station (天桥) It isn't really a bus station it is just some bus stops on Beiwei Road, near the western gate to Temple of Heaven Park.

There are a few bus stops with 917 on them but it is the one with just 917 no Chinese character after it that you are looking for.

The bus stop you are aiming to get off at is called 周口村路口 (Perhaps it is called Zhoukoudian Town Hall in translation, as that is where you are let off, but I am not sure about it's actual name)
It is about 1.5 – 2.25 hours on the bus depending on traffic. It goes on the highway for a long time, then pulls of and goes around little suburban towns. Zhoukoudian is where the mountains start to get really close, so keep an eye out the window and if the mountains are still a long way off you can have a doze.
Showing the conductor the name of the stop I needed ensured I paid the correct price (9 yuan) and also meant she, and the rest of the bus, could tell me where to get off.

From this bus stop you can wait for the small shuttle bus #38 to take you to the site proper, or it is about a 2km/ 20 minute walk. If you decide to walk just carry on the main road in the direction you have come from. The road bends to the right, goes straight and then bends to the left. The site is then just the other side of the little 'Olympic' square and railway tracks, though it should be obvious by this stage.

To get back it is just the same but in reverse. There was a taxi waiting outside that took me to the 917 bus stop (10 yuan, probably could be battered down, but the price was fine for me).
The 917 was a really regular bus. If one turns up that is full it is probably worth waiting for the next one so you don't have to stand for 2 hours. Though it is worth noting the service stops about 4-5pm so later in the day it may just be worth taking whatever comes.

The whole visit took me about 4.5 hours from my hotel which was near Tianqiao station.
It was a tiny adventure doing this under my own steam and people were so friendly to me it really made the trip worthwhile. So if you are in Beijing with some time to spare it is probably worth doing!

18  Thank meltwaterfalls
Reviewed 14 June 2011

The site is outstanding. The grounds are very clean, well labeled & easy to follow. The site was a pleasure to visit. Having studied the site, the designers allowed visitors to really get a first hand look at the various caves and the layout of the excavations. The sculptures outside of the park and museum were fun. The museum content was good and the graphics used to demonstrate events and the site were excellent. It was not a Disneyland type of presentation but it had examples and casts of the specimens. Go early and you have the place to yourself. The only shortcoming was the gift shop. Personally I am not into lots of stuff and the photos were not only enough they were great. Absolutely worth the trip!

6  Thank Agdole
Reviewed 3 June 2011

From Beijing, my brothers and I rented a taxi to get to the Peking Man Site. It is a 2-hour drive from the city center, taking into account the morning rush hour. I'm happy to report that Beijing taxis are willing to use their meters for this long trip.

One would need a deep appreciation of natural history and culture to enjoy this place. The site is composed of empty caves and a museum that give a rough picture of how Peking Man lived some 200,000 years ago.

While the museum is not the one of China's best, I feel that it has served its purpose satisfactorily. Signs and information cards are written bilingually. Displays are all functional. The grounds are kept clean and well-manicured. I say that it really deserves its World Heritage distinction.

We took only 30 minutes to explore the grounds as we had to catch a flight later in the afternoon. It was enough, but I wish we had more time.

3  Thank stephenco
Reviewed 28 December 2009

A wonderful place that depicts how human ancestors lived and survived in time before emergence of modern civilization. I felt need of hotels to stay nearby.

2  Thank Mohammed H K