“Excellent Hotel in West Side of Beijing”

Holiday Inn Beijing Chang An West
Ranked #108 of 6,599 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 19 June 2011

Stayed at Executive Club Side of Hotel. You get a 5 Star treatment for the price of 3 Stars downtown.
Subway near the hotel takes you anywhere in less than 30 Minutes

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank israelrosen

Reviewed 14 June 2011

I stayed in this hotel on a holiday for 6 days in June 2011.

The good: Friendly and helpful staff, efficient housekeeping, big and clean room with everything you need in it, comfortable bed with extra pillows, free but restricted internet access (everywhere in China the same), breakfast was great but quite expensive.

The bad: location is very far from city centre - takes over an hour to travel to the hotel from the airport in a taxi. The nearest subway station is "Wukesong" on line 1, which is always crowded. This station is 1km away from the hotel and in good summer weather, it'll talk a 10-12 minutes walk to get to the station. From Wukesong Station to Tiananmen Square, it's about 10 stations away. Taxi drivers I came across have not heard of this hotel, so you should have the address (in Chinese) and phone number of the hotel printed out in big fonts (for drivers with poor eyesight).

The hotel is located in a suburban residential area with small shops and some local restaurants surrounding it, but nothing to recommend. The area is safe, even at night, but I would avoid those small alleys - stick to the main road.

In Beijing, you should have dinner at Da Dong Roast Duck restaurant. Please see my review Tripadvisor on how to get to Da Dong.

If you're looking to eat Dim Sum and dumplings, I suggest the famous Taiwanese restaurant Din Tai Fung. It's on level 6 in Shin Kong Place shopping center. Take subway line 1 to Dawanglu station. Shin Kong Place has an connected underground walkway to Dawanglu station.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank doofygilmore
Reviewed 18 December 2010

The entrance was so classy for a 4 star hotel. When we stepped inside there were still Chinese new year decorations which made the place much more festive and fun. They went all out on the gold decor which would be a sign of spending too much for show while the rooms would be mediocre. That was fortunately not the case. Our room was a twin but the beds weren't single beds, they were single and a half! Way better than western twin shared rooms, since I hardly doubt anyone would opt for smaller beds.

The bathroom was spacious and so useful to especially for girls because they had a scale and many useful toilet amenities. You can keep an eye on your luggage weight too. There was a 2x and 4x mirror to the side and a phone next to the bath. The cleaner was top notch!! She replaced EVERYTHING that we moved so we ended up with 4 bottles of shower gel next to the bathtub and a new one on the basin at the end of our stay. The bathroom floor seemed to be cleaned everyday because our excess hair shedding were not evident around the bathroom.. Our sheets were cleaned everyday even though we placed a don't replace sheets sign. There was also an order for pillows but our pillows were new and super comfortable. One of the best sleep I ever had in a hotel. This almost seems opulent and excessive, but quite to my taste tbh... but if you really want to save the environment stop excessive use of the aircon. We had a working aircon but in winter this is a godsend. It was -7˚c when we stayed over.

The tv was old but most 4 star hotels don't have flat screen tvs anyway. The english channel was useful for news and so were most of the translation menus for ordering room service and such. They had slippers, lots of tea, an iron and the board. The decor was quite new looking not worn at all. We stayed on 4th floor which is auspiciously unlucky but it was a nice stay anyway. We were on a tour so no comment on the surrounding transport. The surrounding shops were alright. If you forget your PJs there is a store close by which sells undies too and a convenience store which has little variety. BUT if you travel about 10min walk there is a KFC and various shopping centres and signs of street hawker food. Hotel location is alright but far from public transport I heard. It is a semi-long taxi ride to places of interest like that famous new shopping street and the old popular one full of delicious hawker food and the vendors who you need to haggle with.

The buffet breakfast was pretty good. You can order bacon and eggs or a bowl of noodles which the chefs will make on the spot. I had no problem with coffee refills except on latter days when I sat far from the restaurant entrance.. The variety is good but boring after a few days. Asian food was cooked much better than the western food (almost obviously). We were ushered sit away from western people because they got forks and knives will we got chopsticks which I found annoying but whatever, fitting in as a local was much better than being treated like a westerner =/

Anyway it was a pleasant stay for a good price. Great for girls and people who want to just feel pampered in a hotel room when outside it is oh so gloomy and freezing. Good for people on tours because it is hard to take public transport. Being chauffeured around is so much easier since this hotel is far from places of interest.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank munro1
Reviewed 4 November 2010

We stayed at this hotel with a group of 17 other German tourists as part of an organised tour. Normally we like to go it alone, so I will write this review as if there was just the two of us.

The hotel is located well into the west of the city. If you are on your own, it is a long way to the metro station (I would guess a kilometer?), but to be honest, taxis are soooo cheap for westerners, that this is the best bet to get to the sights.

Being part of a US chain, I did have certain expectations which were not fulfilled. Consider it a typical Chinese hotel. Firstly, not all reception staff spoke English. Odd. We never had this problem with the other (Chinese) hotels on our tour. However, they do get full marks for finding my Priotrity Club number in the system (after some translating from our chinese tour guide....) since I could not find my card.

The room was spacious, if boringly decorated, and the beds were at least not quite as hard as on the rest of the tour.....we slpet well. Bathroom was fine. Safe was availiable in the room.

Breakfast was a bit chaotic, but the choice offered was good., The staff did seem to have problems with serving tea and coffee. Getting their attention was challenging, and then they would run out so you had to wait.

We did not eat in the restaurant in the evening, and the bar is very, very pricey.

If I was coming to Beijing, I would probably pick something closer in to the city.

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank dancer62
Reviewed 2 November 2010

i checked in on executive lounge, i was tired that day butt there was a pretty lady who pass me a glass of juice n talk with me in a very fluently english. She kinda surprised me cuz i donnt think tha chinese people are good at talkin too much english as she did. I was happy n when i steped into the room which was decorated in a fasion way also made me an impression. I had a quite good sleep that night.
Next morning i had breakfast on executive lounge, another nice lady of this hotel made me coffee n turned the TV channel specially for me. So sweet n kind.
Thank you for all tha nice ladies on EL! Now i can say i had a great time stayin this hotel with no doubt.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business