All reviews main building renmin university hotel buildings summer palace room card english channels metro station comfortable hotel forbidden city china communist taxis westerners onsite stalls
Reviewed 24 November 2017

Staff told us that building no. 2 was a non-smoking building. In fact, you still smell that it was allowed some years ago. I think, they didn't change the carpet. Apart from that, the room was good and quiet, everything worked and was clean.
The breakfast was ok, very Chinese (I had better meals in other cheaper hotels), but with some Western meals as well (white bread with jam, corn flakes and some cakes).
The really good thing is the close metro station (line 4, Renmin University) with direct access to the South Railway Station.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 November 2017

I don't think I've ever slept on a harder bed, and I like a firm mattress! To counter the firmness of the bed (which was almost like sleeping on a carpeted floor) the pillows were super soft. The room attendant thought it was strange when asked for more.

To make the stay even more uncomfortable (early Nov, cool outside) we couldn't control the air-conditioning! It was sweltering! So much so, we had to sleep with the windows open letting in bugs and smog. We called the room attendant after the first night and she said we couldn't make it any cooler as it was the temperature that was set by the hotel.

All the Australians on our tour complained about the bed hardness and the room heat.

The hotel is government owned and it has seen better days and could use some refurbishment. There are a number of restaurants on site and we ate at the American Friday's which was nice. The included daily breakfast was good, probably the best part of our stay at this hotel.

After a big day of touring Beijing, we thought we would check out the pool only to find that they wanted to charge over AUD$20 for us to use the facilities for an hour! We didn't take advantage of the pool after hearing this. I guess we're spoiled in Australia (and other parts of Asia I've visited) where the pool and other facilities are complimentary for hotel guests.

It's not located in a very interesting part of town and there is not much to see within walking distance, but that said, there is a subway station very close by if you're game to try getting about by train.

Room Tip: The 'grand' building seemed pretty flash, much more so than 'B' block where we were.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jaijey
Reviewed 22 November 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights. Great breakfast buffet. Clean hotel .beds extremely hard .would have preferred a more comfortable bed after flying for over 11 hours to Beijing. A few shops across the road but not for souvenir shopping.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Marie C
Reviewed 28 October 2017 via mobile

This is a large older hotel. I can not fault the service. I rang housekeeping for ice the put me to reception who said the would tell housekeeping. Then a lady would come get out ice bucket go get ice and come back. Love it quirky but love it

Breakfast is a good array one dining room is quite eastern the other had bacon and hash browns but that was it

Best part was out the front gate. We had a huge shopping centre and a street of dining. We skipped BBQ Karaoke and went across the street as a group for a private dining room. At the top of the shopping centre to the left we went to the 4th or 5 th floor. The Steam Boat Shop has to sell us a fish steam boat to sell anything else so we went next door (no English) we survived. 5 beers 4 dishes $22 AUD.

We had a fantastic time small distance from the accommodation and a great laugh about our inadequacies

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tezzaBrisbane
Reviewed 18 October 2017

Luckily I stayed at this hotel one night. The carpets were stained, the shower floor and walls were mouldy and the mattress hard as a rock.
The rooms smelt of cigarette smoke.
The reception staff were rude and arrogant.
The hotel seriously needs a renovation and a change in attitude.
The only aspect i enjoyed were the nicely manicured gardens of the complex.

Room Tip: choose another hotel
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business