“Nice stay in the executive floor high up but..”

Shangri-La China World Summit Wing, Beijing
Ranked #7 of 6,568 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

...the view is not there. Smog all around... The room is well equipped however the bathroom seemed to be ready for a renovation (glass door didn't close to toilet) ; Nice products from L'Occitanne en Provence though.
The breakfast choice is wide but the placing of guests seems awkward and we had to walk forever to the buffet. The eggs benedict are not recommendable; sauce hollandaise seemed to be from the pack; something I wouldn't expect here.

The staff is very friendly and helpful.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Jens C, General Manager at Shangri-La China World Summit Wing, Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Eveline2701,

I am delighted you chose to stay at the China World Summit Wing, Beijing. And I am pleased that you liked our bathroom amenities and our vast array of breakfast specialities. In fact, we are honoured to say that we frequently receive high praise for our breakfast. And, with a focus on guest experiences, we do not have a volume-focused buffet restaurant typically found in most hotels. Instead, at the Summit Wing we use our upmarket Grill79 restaurant for breakfast, and to offer a wide selection we utilise the pre-dinner wine bar as the breakfast food venue. However, we do present an a la carte menu, for those diners preferring not to take everything from the food counters.

Thank you for your comment regarding the glass door in the bathroom, which we will have realigned immediately.

Eveline2701, we look forward to warmly welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 12 November 2017

The traffic pattern to make it to the hotel entrance is difficult and it seems always congested, so plan extra time to get to and from the hotel by car. Checking in is a bit odd as you have to go up to the 64th Floor to do so. There are two counters to check you in and in my case it took some wait time as the two only staff members were busy with other clients. I was surprised as the team member checking me in did not speak English very well, but check in went ok. My room was high up and I had a beautiful view (thanks to the smog restrictions still in place for the party congress and resulting blue sky). Under normal circumstances one would be in the "smog clouds" with limited view. The room was well appointed and internet worked ok. As to be expected the English TV selection is limited. Breakfast happens at grill 79 on the 79th floor and the selection is plentiful. However, for lunch the selection is expensive and in my view too limited at Grill 79. Bar Atmosphere is on the 80th floor and a nice hangout at night. Service could be a bit more attentive and faster. The most annoying thing are the key cards that you also have to use in the elevator. They most of the time do not work immediately and before you can make them work, the lift has started to go and sometimes past your floor. There must be a better system.... I had asked for a late check out only to find the maid in my room when I returned to my room way before my announced and agreed upon departure time - clear break down in communication between departments at the hotel. This was annoying as she had taken all my stuff out of the closet and just put it on the bed. I had to ask her to leave twice in order to change and get ready to leave.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business

Dear cbroo,

Thank you for choosing to stay at China World Summit Wing, Beijing, in the heart of Beijing and the Embassy district. Thank you for your feedback regarding English levels and communication, which we will address. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed the expansive views of Beijing from your room and that the weather was kind during your stay with us. I am also pleased to read that you enjoyed our breakfast at Grill79, in fact, we receive many great comments about the quality of food and service at breakfast. I have noted your comment regarding the key card, and we are always on the lookout for a more convenient process, however, at all times we remain focused on ensuring the privacy and confidentiality of all our in-house guests.

Cbroo, once again, thank you for your review, and my team and I look forward to warmly welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 19 October 2017

Upon arrival, at the entrance of the building, your luggage is been taken care off. The check-in takes place at the 64th level. Very warm welcome and swift check-in procedure, on top we have been upgrade to a premier room which was really appreciated.
The room was very spacious, well maintained and clean. The massive bathroom was equipped with separate shower and bathtub, all amenities provided.
The views are superb when there is no smog,… There is ‘clean air’ provided in the entire hotel. Readings of the air quality index be found on the device located in the lounge/lobby area.
Breakfast is served at the 79 level, possibility to order food a la carte or help yourself at the extensive buffet.
Easily accessible by metro line 1 or 10 “Guomao”
Good service and all staff speaks very good English

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Jens C, General Manager at Shangri-La China World Summit Wing, Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2017

Dear Erwin H

Thank you for staying at the peak of Beijing, at the China World Summit Wing Hotel. I am delighted to read your comments regarding your arrival experience and pleased to know your arrival met with crisp efficiency and warm hospitality. I am pleased to read your comments about our spacious rooms and bathrooms and our high level of cleanliness, and our guests thoroughly appreciate the clean air in the hotel. I am delighted you tried our bespoke breakfast at Grill 79, which overlooks Ritan Park and the Forbidden City in the distance.

Erwin H, we hope to have you back with us soon, when we can warmly welcome you back.

Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

From the moment we arrived at 3:30am to the time we left at 11pm days later, everything about the Shangri-la was perfect.

Service was top notch as always with Shangri-la - warm, friendly, dedicated - but some of the team stood out even among such professional service staff: Anna Zhou of breakfast service has a perfect memory and is extremely sweet - she remembered our comments and requests from our first morning, and every morning after that she would ask if we’d like those specific dishes (each with specific requests) in the same specific order. For a lady who sees customers flow through the restaurant non-stop, Anna’s attention to detail is incredible.

Cynthia (Front Desk Manager) was the one who slammed it home for Shangri-la: making my mom & I feel like we were with a dear old friend with her cheer, charm and warmth, even taking the time to walk us to the Red Chamber / Nadaman so we wouldn’t get lost (they’re not in the main hotel tower), staying to give her recommendations and speak to the service staff for us to translate our requests. She gave thoughtful suggestions of how best to maximize our time, and organized our National Museum tour (even supplying me with a wheelchair due to my injured knees - and jokingly offered to paint it any color I wanted; she also offered crutches if I needed them for the Temple of Heaven as she worried a wheelchair would be difficult to push around the area) - and stayed cheerful throughout all the last minute changes we had. She also readily agreed to us extending our checkout from 10pm on our last day (we purchased the extra half-day extension) to 11pm (as our flight home was at Stupid O’Clock the next morning, and we only had to be at the airport by midnight at the earliest) - stating it didn’t make sense for us to hang around the airport longer than necessary.

Shout out also to Hanson of Concierge who called our airline to change our meals for our flight home - anyone who’s dealt with airline customer service knows how difficult they can be at times - but Hanson got it sorted in minutes.

As Cynthia and Hanson were not on duty during our last day, they left instructions with their Concierge colleague Bobby who was on the ball and extremely helpful - giving recommendations and changing our itinerary on the spot many times. We were provided with Bobby’s cellphone number in case we needed assistance while out & about.

Throughout our stay Shangri-la’s team was conscientious and caring: ground floor staff would rush to slow the revolving doors down for me due to my bad legs, and dash to hold the elevators for me so I could hobble on. Many hospitality service providers like to talk about seamless service and one holistic customer experience - Shangri-la delivers.

Our room on the 74th floor was gorgeous - large and well-appointed, with an amazing view of the city through floor to ceiling windows. Full amenities were provided including tea & coffee making facilities (inc a Nespresso machine), iron & ironing board, hair dryer, toiletries, shoehorns / brushes, stationery (scissors, staplers, etc) and universal charging ports everywhere (perfect for anyone who forgets their adapters). The bathroom was huge and elegant, with separate tub, shower (rainforest & detachable nozzle) and commode sections.

The hotel car is a BMW 5 series, available for rent at RMB300 an hour with a driver (alsp equipped with in-car wi-fi) - well worth it for trips around the city if you don’t want to try your Traveler’s Mandarin on local cabbies / Didi drivers, and want to move around in comfort (and be able to hop on and off at points of interest).

Food: Peking duck at Red Chamber is AMAZING, while Saturday brunch at Nadaman has a buffet option (everything was delicious, but my personal favorite is the beef steak & foie gras signature lunch - a large set meal that closes with heavenly matcha ice cream). Breakfast at Level 79 has something for everyone - but do try the Singapore laksa and the Malaysian Nasi Lemak. I’m from Malaysia, and it’s honestly better than a lot of nasi lemak back home (same can be said of the laksa). They do half portions if you prefer - just let your server know. The lounge on Level 64 provides complimentary canapes and drinks daily from 6pm to 8pm - it’s a calming way to end a day of work / sightseeing and whet your appetite for dinner.

I cannot commend the team behind Shangri-la China World Summit Wing enough - from the architects and designers, to the management, through to customer-facing team members across all touchpoints: it was probably the best Shangri-la stay I’ve had across the many Shangri-las around the world. Great job, all - will definitely be back!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Hakan_Ozel, General Manager at Shangri-La China World Summit Wing, Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2017

Dear Sasha Y,

Please accept our very sincere thanks for taking your very precious time to post your recent stay experience at China World Summit Wing, Beijing on TripAdvisor and for your compliments on our colleagues, services and products. It is through very valuable comments such as yours that we are very much motivated to continue to serve our wonderful guests such as you straight from our hearts all the time.

Our aim is to continuously exceed the expectations of our guests whenever they stay with us. Many thanks for your recognition on our colleagues. I was more than happy to share your compliments with our colleagues, especially with Cynthia, Anna, Hanson and Bobby who have already been very much delighted to be recognized in such excellent manner.

Please do never hesitate to contact any of us directly in case that we should be of any assistance to you and your family. We look forward to welcoming you back at China World Summit Wing, Beijing in the very near future.

Yours sincerely,
Hakan

Reviewed 13 October 2017 via mobile

Booked a one night stay while we were in transit home to Sydney from Beijing. Exquisite hotel! Our room was beautiful and large for a family of a four. Shopping centre is connected to the hotel which is convenient. Buffet breakfast was lovely with selection of al la carte items as well. Can not recommend this hotel enough. Truly an amazing experience!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Dear Sheree C,

Thank you very much for patronizing China World Summit Wing, Beijing and for posting your valuable compliments on TripAdvisor. It is great to learn that we were able to delight you during your recent stay.

Conveniently located in the middle of CBD Area and adjoining the China World Mall, our hotel has been offering 278 luxury guestrooms and suites from the 64th floor till 77th floor respectively. The rooms of China World Summit Wing, Beijing are among the largest in the city. Each of which features floor to ceiling windows that open up to stunning views of Beijing, with classic and elegant wooden décor. Our thoughtful amenities, designer bed linens and all other accessories that are the need of our guests who are especially on business trip do ensure a truly luxurious as well as convenient experience.

We are very careful and selective with breakfast quality, variety and services as it should be a great experience to start a great day. We are offering the highest quality for our guests so that they may continue to enjoy their breakfast with a great city view on the 79th floor as well.

We look forward to welcoming you back at China World Summit Wing, Beijing in the near future and please let us know if we should be of any assistance to you.

Yours sincerely,