All reviewshighest buildinginfinity poolred chambertallest hotelbathroom mirrorclear daystop floordressing areapremier roomnespresso machinehealth clubguest roomscity viewhotel is perfectforbidden cityrooms are largeyour luggage
Reviewed 8 July 2012

I had a two days business trip to Beijing and decided to go a bit upscale and book the China World Summit Wing hotel, especially after securing a good rate from my travel agent, especially as it includes extras like complimentary round trip airport transfers, breakfast and a RMB700 per stay F&B voucher. This hotel is positioned at central Beijing city, next to the upscale China mall and the iconic China World Hotel which is one of the first 5-star hotel to open in China. Two of my colleagues also joined me on the 2nd day.

Arrival

On arriving, I was met at the airway bridge by an airport attendant who escorted me thru immigration and to my limo, a mid size Audi A6. The ride was about 40 mins with almost no traffic since it was passed midnight. On arrival, a hotel staff escorted me to my room. The whole experience was relatively fuss free and kind of by-the-book.

The Room

I booked a premier room and was upgraded into a Grand Premier. The Grand Premier rooms are actually corner rooms. So there are four in each floor. However, due to the peculiar structure of the building itself, the rooms have a very triangular layout, which result in lack of space despite the room supposedly 79m2 size. A lot of space in my opinion are wasted in the large entry foyer. The room has a large king size bed, a sitting area with two sofa chairs but only one ottoman ( ??? ) and a large cabinet housing the minibar and the by now popular Nepresso coffee machine. The bathroom is a full ensuite, with a large Toto soaking tub, a shower room with rainforest shower and a toilet cubicle. The water pressure in the shower could have been better though. The walk in closet is attached to the bathroom and has a large safe and ample storage.

My room was located at the 68th floor and being a corner room, there are two walls of glass to offer a panoramic view of Beijing. Unfortunately, it was very foggy during my stay so didn’t got much of a view except a burry mess.

Overall, there is nothing much to complain. The furnishings and furniture are without exception of very high quality. The design style appears to have been inspired by the extravagant Shangri-la Tokyo which opened before this property. However, the Summit Wing overall quality is a few notches down. The comfort factor is good but not excellent. For example, the bed sheets feels a bit cheap and rough.

Common Areas

The hotel’s lobby is at the 64th floor, and there’s also a “resident’s lounge” where hotel guests are free to sit around in the many sofas provided and helped themselves to free coffee and tea. The resident’s lounge is a good concept, which is something between a chargeable lounge and a executive club lounge. However, it gets a bit too noisy and crowded in the evening to conduct any meetings or business discussion.

The hotel has three restaurants, the Chinese restaurant Fook Lam Moon and Japanese restaurant Nadaman which I did not visited. Breakfast is served at the 79th floor Grill restaurant which is basically a steak house. I thought the breakfast food quality is of average quality, whereby the presentation is better than how the food actually taste. Had dinner also at the Grill and the food quality this time was great, though I felt it is a bit overpriced.

There’s also a Spa, Gym and swimming pool which I did not have the opportunity to visit and use the facility due to busy schedule. However, judging by the quality of the room and the rest of the hotel facility, there should be no doubt that they will be anything but great.

The common areas are decorated in a king of “over-the-top” gold which is not exactly my taste as it come across as a vain attempt to scream “luxury” at the guests and visitors. However, I can live with it.

It’s a hit and miss. Some staff remembered my name and often greet me warmly and offer assistance and I think they are mostly managerial staff. Others are less friendly, but then Beijing people are generally more reserved. Most request were promptly attended to.

Housekeeping was a bit sloppy, often forgetting to clean up left over coffee cups, and for the first night, the carpet was sticky and dirty, but this was quickly resolved after I filed a complaint. There was also another case where I requested to view one of the suites, perhaps for future stay but was turned down as I was told there were no rooms available. However, a quick online check showed that the suite can be booked at that time, which means it is actually available. The lady frontdesk staff was probably too lazy to show me the suite. or there might be other reasons. Anyway, I did not pursue further.

A more annoying problem happened at check-out where the frontdesk staff was not able to resolve the expenses incurred during my stay and how to apply the F&B credits. A usually simple 5 mins check-out process dragged on for more than 20 mins while she tried in vain to verify the expenses with their finance department and we miss our scheduled departure time. For some reasons, the copies of our F&B meals were not kept at the Front desk so they were not available for verification. Fortunately, the lady Frontdesk Manager and she promptly take charge to resolve the situation quickly and also apologize for the delay.

Conclusion

China World Summit Wing is a very good 5-star luxury hotel with some hiccups here and there. Provided you are not as fussy as me, it will most probably be a pleasant stay experience and I also think it is the best hotel I have stayed in Beijing so far and the rate I got is good value. Considering all factors, I will grade it 4 out of 5.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I'm very very impressed with this hotel. Top notch staff, service and rooms. Especially service. Bathrooms are well designed, L'Occitane tolietries! Window shades are automated. Views are grand.

Eye candy staff doesn't hurt either :P

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Great Hyatt was fully booked and the Park Hyatt shooting the price to a ridicules level of rmb 8k per night, owing thanks to the over-crowded JPM Beijing Summit. What else I can choose to stay on the east side of Beijing. My eyes fall on a flyer from Asiamiles which offers a free night per booking at Beijing China World Summit. It sounds like a new hotel in association with Shangarila and not the old-fashioned China World hotel. Why not have a try? However, as my assistant later found out, the promotion only applied to a suite for rmb4700. With a slight sense of being cheated, I still go ahead given the ultimate average price seemed still a good bargain.

The suite is spacious and built in with ceiling-to-floor windows birdviewing the CBD area of Beijing to the far end of sun setting. There is also a bar at the top level, which might be comparable to Park Hyatt's. I did not try as the seats were all taken then.

Overall, very good. I'll add it to my favorite list.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 21 May 2012

This hotel is operated by Shangri-la. You can be assured of its quality of service. This particular hotel is quite comparable to all our other stays in the chain throughout Asia.

The unique feature of this hotel is its location and height. Rooms facing west have the views of the forbidden palace, drum and bell towers, altar of heaven ... etc. Definitely the best side to stay. On the other hand, if you prefer views of new, fancier buildings, east facing rooms have the CCTV tower view. Lower floors actually are O.K. for now. As the hotel begins from 64th floor (lobby), and is much higher than any other buildings in the surrounding area.

The location, if you are here for business, is superb. It's right in the downtown (CBD) area with subway lines (Guomao on lines 1 and 10) connecting to the trendy areas such as sanlitun (Liangmaqiao station on line 10) and modern shopping at Dawanglu (line 1) or silk market (Jianguomen on line 1), which are good alternatives given the horrible traffic in the eastern Beijing.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Hau C
Reviewed 15 May 2012

The Hotel holds the title World Sumnmit as it is the tallest skyscraper in Beijing city for now. They offfer great comfort at the right price and impeccable views over Beijing however i was really satisfied with the hotels service the top point goes to their Diva; Miss Amanda WOOD, she is singing on the 80th floor's Atmosphere Bar the service at the bar and the view is inexplicable its a must see! Food and Beverage is above standards and they hold a great Wine Collection in house, Amanda Wood is an extraordinary voice she is a master talent and honestly speaking i havent heard anyone better since. She knows the crowd very well and knows how to entertain them, excellent performer excellent singer and definelty adds up a lot more to the value of the hotel and service it self, Stay at Shangri La World Summit Hotel and do it only because you will regret to miss a jewel of talent, i wish her lots of success and sure to see her in International Music Markets very soon.

The Spa of the Hotel is great and the treatments are must try especially the Signature collection.

Room Tip: 6916 is a great corner room located at the Golden Circle floor.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business