All reviewshighest buildingred chambertallest hotelbathroom mirrorclear daystop floordressing areapremier roomnespresso machinehealth clubguest roomsswimming poolforbidden cityhotel is perfectrooms are largeyour luggagebreakfast room
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I think this hotel really gives you a good feeling while beeing in one of the most conflicting (old and modern) and growing cities of Asia. It`s a quiet place, but still perfectly situated. I went there twice till now and enjoyed the views from the room and especially from the Atmosphere Bar on Level 80. This place is unbelievable. I found the price reasonable enough to go twice. Unfortunately I haven`t tried the Restaurants yet. The staff was nice and the rooms were the best you can expect in a Shangri-La Hotel, def. much better than in Kowloon.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 January 2012

The rooms are excellent, even the smallest ones are well appointed with a large bath and rain shower. The bed was very comfortable and the details in general were well thought out - electrical outlets that don't require adapters, easy access to lights, automatic curtains, TV that easily accepts Aux input from my iPad, Nespresso machine, lots of bottled water even for the tea kettle, iPod dock that is new enough to charge the iPhone 4S. Service was friendly although the English isn't up to standard and there were some delays and difficulties with Checkin. Breakfast spread was excellent. Dual lift lobby system was a little annoying. Free wireless internet everywhere. Lobby was a bit difficult to find for taxi drivers, not many knew where the main entrance to the hotel was although they all knew the office entrance (Guo Mao San Qi in Pinyin)

Room Tip: XX09 series rooms have great morning sun and unblocked views of the CCTV complex and the Eastern parts of Beijing (although there is a prominent smokestack as well)
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 December 2011

I stayed here a few nights on a business trip. The stay started off well enough with hotel pickup arranged from the airport. Upon arrival the staff escorted me to my room to check me in but strangely the welcome note in the room was written in Korean simply as the staff assumed I was one based on my surname!

The stay and facilities were all great but one of the mornings when I got down to breakfast the dining room was full and I had to use the lounge a floor up which had a limited spread. My stay would have otherwise been memorable if not for the departure when the hotel lost my transfer booking to the airport and the room rates promised by our organizer was not quite accurate. I left in a rather annoyed state due to the mix up which is why I would avoid this hotel in future.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Sasha_Skye
Reviewed 15 December 2011

Hmmm... Where to start about this place. I've stayed at the old China World many times over the past decade and generally liked it. I've moved on to bigger and better things, but wanted to give Summit Wing a try.

Service was generally up to the old China World standard, but maybe not quite as good. A couple of nits - they were unable to print my presentation at the business center due to technical issues and my room was not cleaned as promptly as I would have liked. Also, I think they messed up a lunch reservation at the China World Summer Palace, but it wasn't a big issue.

The location is pretty much second to none for business travelers, right in the heart of CBD.

The rooms are large and fairly nice. They are all up pretty high 70s to 80s I think). It is surprising looking down at the Park Hyatt across Jainguomen Wai, which is pretty high itself. Beijing is so polluted, though, that the view didn't add a lot other than that initial impression.

Had breakfast upstairs and that was good, but not great value. The service was also a bit lacking (they were slow and not very good at explaining what was on offer).

The bar at night was kind of a local nouveau riche scene, a lot of bling, but not much sophistication. I think that is an apt metaphor for the hotel at large. It is expensive and outwardly high end, but won't impress a truly discerning traveller.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 8 December 2011

I had the pleasure of staying at the China World Summit Wing for 4 nights while on Business in Beijing. I was very happy with the room accommodations and level of service received while there. The staff was for the most part very friendly and when they weren’t they were still pleasant. Any time I called for anything they answered quickly and provided a response quickly. Room service was pretty good and reasonably priced in my eyes. Love the I’Occitane products in the bathroom! All in all a very good Shangri-La hotel. Being up on the top floors of the building afforded an excellent view on the one afternoon where the atmosphere was clear – all the other times I could have been on the ground floor and seen the same view (which was smog).

I took advantage of the lounge on the 79th floor for breakfast in the morning and they had a very good selection on the buffet. You can order an omelet, eggs, etc., as well. As I mentioned before, roomservice was fast and hot.

I utilized the gym and sauna on the 78th floor and found both to be clean and well maintained.

If I’m ever in Beijing I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business