“The best thing, MARIA”

Mercure Beijing Downtown
Ranked #119 of 6,450 Hotels in Beijing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Beijing, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

This hotel is different...low-rise, large rooms, secure location. It is a great buy, with excellent help and comfortable rooms, although some of the lobby furniture is too massive and "old-fashioned Chinese" for my Western taste.

Breakfast was included with our room, and there was plenty of good food and excellent coffee.

Traffic in Beijing is a pain, so this location is great for downtown and the southeastern areas of the city. It is a quick taxi to Sanlitun, one of the fun areas where most visitors want to dine or shop.

One negative: our room was dusty and a bit grimy, but the maid was more than accommodating when we pointed out our needs.

Not sure why anyone would complain about languages spoken here. Maria in Guest Relations is superior---multilingual, professional and pleasant. They have staff who speak French, German, Spanish, as well as Putonghua and English.

They've got plenty of international staff who are more than willing to meet the needs of foreign travelers.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank garagestudio
MBJDT, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Beijing Downtown, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
Dear Garagestudio,

Thanks so much for your extensive review!

We appreciate your comments on the lobby decoration and we are glad to know that you enjoyed our coffee.

I am sure that many travelers will find helpful to know that we are right by the CBD and close to Silk Market and Sanlitun.

I am reassured to know that the standard of cleanliness met your expectations and I thank you for having pointed it out in the first place so we were able to take action about it.

I finally wanted to thank you for the acknowledgement of myself and the language skills of our staff, as we indeed speak: Mandarin, English, Indonesian, French, Dutch, Spanish, German and Korean.

Us here who had the pleasure of meeting you send you warm regards hoping to see you again soon.
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

We stayed at the Mercure Hotel Downtown on a trip to Beijing with China Spree. It was surprisingly ranked #41 of 3790 holes in Beijing on Trip Advisor whih was very encouraging. We were initially supposed to that at the Huabin International Hotel which was ranked #159. After reading the reviews, one thing became immediately apparent. Trip Advisor needs to have the ability to sort rankings by Country and even cities. American travelers in general have much higher standards and expectations than European travelers and I believe Asian travelers have different criteria altogether.

In other words, don't rely on reviews from someone outside of your demographic. This is a serious flaw with any Trip Advisor reviews.

The good news- the hotel was relatively clean and the rooms were average sized. The bathroom is fine and the shower is one of the best I've seen in any hotel anywhere.

The bad news- the rooms smells of mildew and cigarette smoke. The staff is trying very hard but their English is not great and there are some disconnects. My wife and I tried plugging a power strip into an adapter to charge our computers iPhones, iPads, cameras, etc. and blew the fuse for power for the entire room. If you are an American traveling with electronic devices, you'll have to manage the outlets for charging very carefully. Chairs and beds are very low to the ground. If you have a bad back, it'll be worse after a few nights here. I called the from desk three times asking for a power adapter and no one responded or showed up

The worst news- internet is atrocious. The rooms have wired ethernet. I brought an Apple Airport Express to create our own wireless network in the room so we can use our iPhones, iPads and computers. The signal is so slow and so weak that I cannot pull company e-mails on my computer at all.I can't even load webmail. I am able to get all my e-mails on my iPhone but not on my computer. This makes doing business very difficult. Websites like Twitter and Facebook won't load at all on a browser. I suspect they are blocked in China.

Breakfast buffet was simply awful. About $25./person and neither the chinese food or western food was particularly edible or appetizing in any way and we were starving after a 14 hour flight and 3 hour sojourn from the airport to our hotel.

I'm afraid either the ratings for this hotel do not reflect our mid range standards for savvy US travelers or the rest of the hotels on Trip Advisors list are to be avoided at all costs.

Room Tip: Find a hotel better located and check the amenities so it meets your expectations. We checked with T...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Foosh9
MBJDT, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Beijing Downtown, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Dear Foosh9,

We welcome your extensive review.

Mercure is a European brand offering mid-scale accommodation on a non-standardized basis worldwide (except North America). I am glad to know that the hotel standard of cleanliness met your expectations and that you found the bathroom set-up attractive.

However, I am sorry to hear that your room was located on a smoking floor or smelt like it. Non-smoking regulations in public areas arrived in China less than a year ago. Due to the widespread smoking habit in this country, we are indeed having difficulties to implement them in all hotel areas and particularly in corridors and guest rooms.

I am sure that our Front Office staff did their best to accommodate your requirements and I am sorry to know that despite their efforts we still did not find a room where you would feel comfortable. With regards to the power adapters / converters, I am afraid we might have run out during your stay due to the punctual strong demand of the group.

This was the first time we collaborated with China Spree. It was also a novelty to us to accommodate American leisure groups and we wish the agency had provided us with further information about the guests’ needs and special requests.

Improving the quality of our internet access is indeed a challenge we are currently facing. While wireless internet is available in public areas, rooms are still on wire. We realize that this is not so convenient when using certain devices and for that reason our rooms will soon be equipped with wi-fi. Main social networks are indeed banned in China, as well as many other popular websites.

The majority of our guests -both European and local- actually compliment our buffet breakfast at La Vie restaurant, which price is 155 RMB. I am surprised and sorry to hear that it does not suit the American taste so well. However, I believe we should be able to do something about that. Breakfast for groups is served in Huateng restaurant and its cost is included in the room rate.

Although I am sure many travelers will welcome your recommendations on how to use Tripadvisor, I thought I would point out the fact that it is a website mainly used and aimed for individual travelers. Its purpose is helping individuals to choose accommodation according to their particular preferences.

I am sorry that your travel Agency did not succeed to find a hotel with a more convenient location for your personal needs. Most travelers choosing our hotel do value being near the CBD while away from the heavy traffic and surrounded by garden area.

Nevertheless, we appreciate your review and we are sorry to know that we deceived you and therefore China Spree. Fortunately, your comments will guide us on how to meet the expectations of Americans visiting China in the future.

I hope my response contributes to the transparency of Tripadvisor and the veracity of the previous reviews by our guests.

Best regards from Beijing.
Lyon, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

This hotel is a very good hotel in Beijing.
I stayed there for few nights with my boyfriend and everything was perfect, we had wonderful stay. The rooms are clean and very modern. The food at the restaurant for the Breakfast is very good, you have a lots of choices.
The staff at the front desk is very nice, so as the concierge team and guest relations.
The hotel is not located just next to a subway station, but you just need to walk for 10 minutes to be on line 1 wich go to the Forbiden City. We also enjoy the food street that is located just behinf the hotel, and it's a nice experience of Chinese culture.
To get a taxi is not very easy but the hotel offers a shuttle bus during the days of the week. Be careful with the taxi at the airport, don't take a fake one. I recommend you to have the chinese adress of the hotel and the number so that the taxi can call the hotel if he doesn't know the location (that can happen many times as the hotel is quite new and Beijing is so big). Also do not hesitate to ask for a map at the concierge desk this will help you a lot.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple