Ways to Experience The Great wall of Jiankou
from USD 90.00
from USD 188.00
from USD 96.00
More Info
All reviews xizhazi village restored section bucket list cable car once in a lifetime steep climb hike mutianyu path parts tower wall tourists driver china route woods
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 October 2018 via mobile

This is definitely one place to visit in your life. It requires a medium level of fitness to walk on the wall.

Date of experience: September 2018
1  Thank Tony D
Reviewed 25 September 2018

This is the alternative place to look at the great wall. Less tourist comes to this part of the great wall thus you get to see the wall better than in Mutianyu which is overcrowded most of the time. The scenic is fabulous. The only set back is that the place is not very well maintained

Date of experience: October 2017
Reviewed 24 September 2018

Wow. What an amazing day. Breathtaking both literally and visually. Booked this tour with Tour Beijing. Adelle responded promptly to all emails. Spent the day with Peter Hu who was very patient, knowledgeable and fun. After a close to 2 hour drive started our hike up the trail to get to the wall. This part is tough as you are climbing up through rough rocks and uneven terrain but stick with it. Once you get to the first watch tower which is the beginning of the wall it’s all worth it. The actual climb up the watchtower somewhat rocky (only to find out after could have simply stepped up from the back) then keep trekking, climbing, walking all the way to Mutianyu. Slight detour to climb ver to the restored section as it is blocked off. The view difference between the 2 sections quite astounding but each beautiful in its own way. The unrestored very uneven, rocky, narrow overgrown. The restored classically beautiful. Both extremely steep with lots of narrow steps. Take lots of water. Prepare for a tough long day. But it’s well worth it - simply unbelievable!!

Date of experience: September 2018
Reviewed 9 August 2018 via mobile

This wall is steep. Be in semi decent shape. Great pictures, absolutely worth seeing. There’s a “difficult” route and a “very difficult” route. Wear comfy shoes- the incline on the wall is serious. We saw someone pass out.

That said. Thrilled we did it. It’s much further from Beijing than other parts of the wall, and the drive out through the country is pleasant. The wall itself is glorious. This part hasn’t been as “refinished” as others, which I liked. Also, guard tower 7 looks just like guard tower 2. Don’t feel like you have to climb to it.

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed 31 July 2018

We had done this hike on a lovely sunny day in early June. We hired a private driver who took us to the village at the beginning of the trek (a little over an hours drive from our hotel). There was a sign in the village which stated that this was not for tourists in order to preserve the wall, but I think our driver helped us out as he walked some of the way with us. We hiked with our toddler in tow (she was in a hiking backpack which my husband carried!), the hike took us between 4-5 hours with a few little stops on the way to admire the scenery. Our fitness levels are mediocre at best, but we're basically built for walking on flat surfaces, yet we managed to do this hike. My advice is go if you have an average level of fitness and make sure you're not prone to injuries (the ground is not flat, watch your knees and ankles). There is also a climb up a wall at the beginning once you get to the walled section (I included a shot of the little climb).

The beginning of the hike starts in the village, which is fairly steep (and relatively unmarked aside from the previous trekker trail - but easy enough to follow). It's through a forest canopy and is just wide enough to fit single file. The trail is dirt and rock, so may be slippery from wet leaves. This hike through the forest was tough, it was steep and you need to be prepared to brush branches and bugs away from you (bring insect repellent for this part). I can't remember but it may have taken us 1.5 hours to get through that bit, as you get higher, you get a beautiful view of sections of the wall.

Once you reach the end of the forest hike, you get to the beginning of the walled section. I've read in some posts that some people have ladders to climb up the beginning part, however on the day we went, we relied on a small pile of rocks - see pic (I mean a tiny pile of rocks stacked up to just get you high enough to touch the top) to climb up about 2.5-3 metres (there were 2 consecutive parts like this). It was impossible to climb up with a toddler, thankfully we had strangers who pitched in by pulling our toddler up first (thank you whoever you are!!). I'm 5ft 2, so I had to use my arms to hoist myself a little bit extra to get there. The view from this part is amazing (really great photo opportunity).

The rest of the walk is relatively easy compared to the forest hike, but my caution is that the beginning section of the wall is not maintained (see pictures). Some parts of the wall are a little dangerous (loose footing and no walls), but with common sense you can get through fine (it's relatively flat). We skipped the Oxhorn section of the great wall because it was probably a little too difficult with the little one in tow. We did this by turning off at one of the watch towers (I think either the second or third from the beginning of the wall). This path is marked by some pink / red ribbons, you just stay on the wall until you see a watch tower marked by these ribbons and follow them (it isn't extremely obvious, as the ribbons are sparingly placed, but follow along the pathway to bypass the Oxhorn. Once you reach the renovated sections of the wall its a matter of conquering some steps (there is a steep stairway which we had to pay the ticket fair of app 60yuan each). You can see my picture for an ideas of how steep the stairs are (just before the stairs you need to step over a wall to get through). This renovated part of the wall eventually leads to the cable car which we caught (I cannot remember the price, but it was expensive).

At the end of the cable car ride, you need to buy a bus ticket to travel back to the waiting area. It was relatively cheap (10/20 yuan each), but I cannot remember the price and the ticket booth we missed along the way, so keep your eyes peeled.

All in all, it was well worth the trip. We chose to skip Badaling and do this section instead, and it was worth it. It wasn't crowded - you can take photos without people in the background (we went on a weekend). There were enough people along the way to reassure you that you won't get injured and be without help. Make sure you bring water and snacks (and obviously, there are no bathrooms along the way and no bins). There was a little make shift tent on the older sections of the wall where there was a lady selling water, but I do believe most people passed her by.

Believe me, we're not fit, but we could do it!! We also did Mt Huangshan and in my opinion that was much harder because it was stairs on a steep incline. Our daughter was fine with hat and sunscreen and we even let her out for a little walk on the maintained section (where we saw some elderly and younger children walk).

Enjoy the walk, start out early and finish just after lunch time.

Date of experience: June 2018