See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 27 May 2015

For business I often travel to Beijing. Near to Beijing South Railway Station and Tianamen Square there is the Guidu. Nice clean and spaceous rooms and
excellent shower. The staff is really kind and helpfull . Breakfast has a wide variety and is tastefull. The price is also reasonable and also affordable for many tourists. It is a 5 minute walk to the Metro which connects you to every part of the city. Nothing much to do in the neighbourhood on walking distance but I dont mind. My nights are very comfortable in the excellent bed.

Room Tip: Every room is OK but the cheapest rooms may be experienced as small. Best is to take a De Luxe room
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank CharlyNL0031
Reviewed 13 May 2015

I booked a room at the Guidu for three nights, through a well-known international hotel-booking website. I paid in advance.

When I arrived at the hotel, I was told that there was no booking under my name. I showed the receptionist my booking receipt, and she said she'd put me in a room for the night and resolve the problem the next morning.

The next morning, I was approached by someone who turned out to be the duty manager. She asked me who I'd booked through, and I told her. She said she'd never heard of the company. She said she would deal with the problem, and that I should speak to her in an hour or two.

I went out. When I came back, my keycard wouldn't work. I went to reception, and was told that I was being thrown out. The person at reception - and the duty manager I'd spoken to before - said there was no booking under my name. The hotel was full, and there would be no room for me for the next two nights.

They refused to find me alternative accommodation, and made it very clear that my lack of a booking was not their problem. I was forced to find alternative accommodation myself at the last minute, and overpaid as a result.

I also had to pay for the one night that I stayed in the hotel, even though I'd already paid for three nights. And I was overcharged while being double-dipped: the room I had to pay for cost RMB 120 more than the agreed rate under my booking.

I'm still trying to get my money back from the booking website. The booking website says that it made the booking through a third-party service provider, and that it has paid the money to the hotel and is now trying to recover it. The booking website confirms that there was a booking in my name. Most interestingly, the booking website says that the Guidu's management is claiming that I was a no-show and my room was released, and that the Guidu is therefore refusing to return the money to the booking website.

This is obviously not true. For one thing, I did turn up: I was there, and they threw me out. For another, if they'd released my room because I was a no-show (perhaps because of confusion over my name, if I'm being generous), there would have been at least one room available - the room I had allegedly not shown up for - and I could have been accommodated.

The Guidu is owned by China State Grid (the electricity network), and regularly holds conferences for the electricity sector. My guess - and this is pure speculation - is that the hotel discovered it was overbooked for a conference, and decided it would be easiest to throw out the foreigner. (Of course, it could just be that the booking website people are lying.)

Do not book this hotel if you are foreign. You're disposable.

Do not book this hotel through an international booking website. If it's in their interest, the hotel will "lose" your booking.

Do book this hotel if you like paying for hotels, but don't like staying in them.

It's a shame: as you'll see below, I've stayed at this hotel several times, and I've always liked it. However, I will never stay here again, and I would recommend that anyone reading this avoid it too.

Room Tip: Choose a hotel that will honour your booking.
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 September 2014

I've stayed here many times, and this time I was travelling with clients. I've always liked this hotel - see my other reviews - so I thought it was a safe bet.

My room was fine: the same as every room I've stayed in. But my clients were put in Room 501. It was tiny. The bedroom was not even half the size of a normal room at this hotel, and the bathroom was so small it didn't have a bath (every other room I've stayed in here has a bath and a shower). It was small to the point of being a bit claustrophobic, especially as the window looked straight on to another building (every other room I've stayed in had an open view). My clients were very disappointed, and rightly so: they were paying around US$ 85 per night for a room that, by Beijing standards, should have been around US$ 55.

I went to the front desk to complain. I was told that this was a standard room, and that my room was bigger because I'd been upgraded. Based on my previous experiences, this wasn't true. I suggested that they "upgrade" my clients to the room they'd paid for, and they said there were no double rooms available. The place was empty, so I find this hard to believe. My clients said they'd just stick with what they had.

But then the air-conditioning packed in. The room really was unbearably hot. The housekeeping lady on the fifth floor was exceedingly helpful, and did everything she could to sort things out, but the front desk staff were disturbingly intransigent. I had to have a bit of a pop at them in order to get things sorted out: my clients were eventually "upgraded" to a normal-size room, although it was a twin rather than a double.

In both my discussions with the front desk about my clients' room, the front desk staff were unhelpful and uncooperative. I wasn't impressed at all.

I had a look at the fire-escape floorplan that all rooms had on the inside of the door. It was clear from that that Room 501 - and all the other -01 rooms - was far, far smaller than every other room in the hotel. If you're offered an -01 room, ask for something else.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room ending in -01.
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank BruceMcSyd
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

This was my third stay and 12 months since the last. The hotel has improved again, with no shortage of English speakers who work hard to help with anything they can. It's not the ideal location for night life, but well placed for subway/walks.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 November 2013

On 24/10/2013 , I checked in GUIDU. Hotel is costly comparing the facility they provide The man in the front desk deducted RMB.2500 from my cash card as advance.
On 27/10/2013 morning I checked out from the hotel. While checking out I came to know my total bill was RMB.1680. As a common practice any other standard Hotel would have deducted the amount from the advance and refunded the balance (2500-1680) to me.
But in spite of my protest the front desk person deducted again RMB.1680 from my card and informed me that he has cancelled the previous RMB.2500 , which will be back in my account in 3-5 days. Today after almost a month the money is not deposited back in my account. (I have all proof).
The Hotel authority is horrible is response and refusing to act even though all documetary evidence are provided. I do not recommend this hotel to any one.

Room Tip: Look for another Hotel
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business