“Authentic ambiance on the outside, small space inside the room”

and 1 more site!
Soluxe Sunshine Courtyard Hotel
Ranked #2,267 of 6,563 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 26 September 2011

We liked the place. The biggest complaint would be the awful Internet connection you get at the hotel. There's an Ethernet cable in the room which was not useful for us. We were hoping for wifi. Their business room provides computer with sloooow connection (I am guessing it's dial up) at $1rmb per 6 minutes. I got on and none of the pages I wanted to see loaded in the end. (mostly US-based travel-related sites- so that kind of handicapped my travel plans from day to day.). Our bathroom has the shower head right by the toilet. I knew the room would not be big for the price but toilet by the feet while you shower!? did not work well for me. I'd probably get a bigger room if I knew. There's some minor maintainence issues such as wallpaper tears, chipped tea cups in the room. The staff did not understand "towel" when we asked for an extra so we pulled out a dictionary for translation. What we liked most were the courtyard and the lobby which are beautiful and are truly an authentic Chinese experience. Also the location worked for us. Just a couple of minute walk to the metro stop and a little longer to a bus stop.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank 2Doraemon

Reviewed 11 September 2011

Nice 'Si He Yuan'. It's great to at least experience once how is it like to stay in a 'Si He Yuan'. The hotel is within 1 minute walk to the 'Gu Lou Da Jie' MRT station which makes it a perfectly convenient stay. Prices are very reasonable.

They have almost everything, except WIFI. Internet access is wired and charges are RMB1 per minute. View from the room is terrible, windows seem dirty and we're overlooking some very damaged roof tiles so we had the curtains drawn at all times. Bathrodes and towels are provided but they reeks of perspiration - maybe other guests worn them and the hotel didn't wash. Hot water shower is only available for 30 minutes, after that you got to wait for another 30 minutes for the water to heat up.

Room Tip: The pictures of the room are quite close to reality.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank paulineyoong
Reviewed 6 July 2011

I have been traveling to Beijing for thirty years and this is by far my favorite place to stay. The courtyard is a tranquil setting contrasting to the busy hutong life just around the corner. The rooms are comfortable and cool in the summer. Why stay at a generic hotel in Beijing when you can stay in a hotel that is distinctively Chinese for such a reasonable rate. The location near a subway line and walking distance to Hou Hai is perfect. You will not be disappointed. Great place.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
9  Thank Tedko
Reviewed 9 January 2011

This boutique hotel is in two parts - the old part has much better rooms (more expensive of course) and good view of the courtyard. Whereas only some of rooms in the newer part have partial courtyard views. The courtyard is very charming with an ancient tree, fish pond and garden. At night, the big red lanterns are lit, enhancing the "siheyuan" ambience of old. The bell-boys are all very helpful, especially a Mr Yang Bin, and they go out of the way to please guests. Reception staff is knowledgeable and if you speak a little slowly in simple English, they are a treasure trove of information.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank Dadpj11
Reviewed 28 October 2010

Hutong experience was our highlight of our first Beijing trip this October . So Sleeping in courtyard hotel is a " must do " schedule if you love" cultural experience" like me.
It was my first time travel to China and of x , with my 70++ years old parents . A standard Business hotel should be our choice for a " Non-Chinese speaking " and elder group like us . But I thought I could do better than that.
Soluxe Courtyard hotel has got them all we need , clean , well setting ,and very good location in the the Drum tower "area. , there are a bus stop in front of the hotel and the Subway station is just around the corner .

SPECIAL NOTE :
ROOMS
THEIR " DELUXE BUNGALOW " is very good size , light and airy , yet very simple decorative but enough . Poor thing that half of their bungalow rooms have very bad smell from the drainage pipe.
Lucky me that,my ROOM A 060 was very good one with central garden court view. , but my father's room was the worst " smelly one " A 040 , hope they will fix this problem soon. The reception could not help you much if you got the smelly one. ..so pls. just understand Chinese hotel chain's hospitality , and enjoy the rest .
The budget room in the main building is rather small and dark , clean with same interior decoration (better smell in the toilet ) if you travel on budget and don't like a dorm room as in another budget hotel , it is another good choice .
AWARE
There are some " local SEMINAR " with humble KARAOKE in the courtyard building , not so privacy for hotel guests who stays around courtyard area ., but ok. Cos we are not in the room on day time and the room at night is quiet enough to sleep , thanks to their modern door and window system , they are good enough for " sound protection ".
FOOD
Food , avoid hotel 's restaurant , bit pricey , in the morning there are loads of local restaurant and food stall around the hotel ., umm this is " non- english speaking" area . so just point to what you want to eat , keep smile and enjoy ..
In the evening , pls walk ( or take any bus ) to Hou-Hai area , have a great HAKKAN FOOD at the famous " HAN CANG " or enjoy a lake&rooftop view at "NUAGE ".
HAVE FUN IN BEIJING !!