“Ol Seki - amazing energy and pure luxury in the middle of the mara”

Ol Seki Hemingways Mara
Reviewed 14 November 2009

I have to confess that I was a bit reluctant to go to the Mara given that I had to leave our beautiful beachside resort in Kenya - Almanara! However all my fears were gone five minutes after landing (although I loved every minute of the luxurious private plane journey - someone had to pinch me to make sure I wasn't dreaming!) after encountering my first zebra and three elephants on the way to the camp.

Ol Seki is a truly magical place to be, its energy is one of warmth and complete peace with the outstanding natural beauty that surrounds it. We were greeted with the same warmth and treated like we were extended family from the moment we arrived.

Our personal guides showed us our tents.... um can you really call them tents?- more like luxury house tents! There are many high points to where you sleep after a long day seeing the amazing Mara and plentiful game, not least the hot showers and masai assigned to your tent! But what really made me shriek with delight was the hot water bottle I found in my bed - it is the little touches like that and the breakfast cooked and served to you in the middle of the Mara that fill that moment with joy and make your holiday feel bespoke to you.

I could ramble for hours about the food, the service, the amazing people that occupy the camp, the scenery, the luxury etc but I think the other reviews speak for themselves. There is nowhere that compares to this for safari in style. I can't wait for my next visit when I can see simba and have a massage whilst looking out onto the beautiful Mara all in one day! Wow!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Ol Seki Hemingways Mara

Reviewed 5 November 2009

You can not travel to Kenya without taking a trip to Ol Seki. After a short drive from the air strip we were greeted by our guides and taken to the most luxurious camp I have ever seen with views that were breath taking.
The game drives were amazing and the game were plentiful, we even saw simba! Sundowners in the mara is a must, along with chats around the fire pit and delicious dinners over looking the mara - amazing!
The staff are wonderful, so knowledgeable with such magical stories. Ol Seki was a dream come true and I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rebecca1806
Reviewed 7 October 2009

The tent (if you can call it a tent) was amazing. There was a large bed and a sofa/day bed, partitioned shower and toilet, storage areas for your clothes, desk and a lovely outside seating area. They also have a system to give hot water both morning and afternoon/evening.
There is more than enough local wildlife - we saw leopards, cheetahs, elephants, giraffes, buffalo, hippos, gazelle etc (too many things to name) all within a close drive of the camp. Whilst eating breakfast we could see elephants and giraffes in the distance. The joy of being outside the Mara Reserve was that we would be the only people there seeing these animals - in the Game Reserve you see hundreds of other people. I even heard the lions nearby one night. I should add that there are guards at night to keep you safe!
Although Ol Seki is outside the Mara Game Reserve, we found we had better quality game viewing and experiences - we were able to go on night drives, walks, and get out of the jeep and wonder down the river admiring hippos.
The camp allocates a driver and a spotter to each tent - so you keep the same guides all the time you are there and it is just you in the jeep when you go out. This means you have a great amount of flexibility - you can choose what you want to do each day without relying on other people wanting to do the same.
We would reccommend visiting the local village and the school, both of which are supported by the camp. Many of the guides are from the local guiding school which they also support.
The food was lovely - they have a fantastic chef (Evans - you have to try the omelettes!), and the service was always friendly and attentive without being overbearing. The food is western in style (the owner is Italian and you can see the influence in the meals!), and plentiful - 3 course meals at lunch and dinner!
We spent four nights here before moving onto a beach holiday, and both really wished we had spent longer here as we had the most amazing holiday, and experiences we will never forget.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2009

Perfect spot for honeymooners. Amazed at the amount of game considering all the comments on here. Was a bit worrried in fact but in the end decided to go for the luxury as the person putting together my honeymoon seemed to know what they were talking about and, luckily, was really pleasantly surprised. We were treated like royalty by the staff but in a friendly way! Nothing was too much trouble. The rooms were spacious and really cool. Booked through Imagine Africa who were really really helpful especially as this was my first safari and also a really special trip and I had lots of questions (and worries!).

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2007

This place gives you a real feel of family and welcome. Led by two great people and a whole team of staff who are incredibly freindly. The tents ( really large marquees really) are well fitted and the safaris are full of wildlife. The food is tasty and we even managed to have a visitors v staff football match in the savannah , elephants and wilerbeast as supporters , a truley great experience.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank WorldRanger