“AMAZING!”
Review of Mara West Camp

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Masai Mara National Reserve
Mara West Camp
Reviewed 21 July 2011

I have been to the Africa continent the past 3 years, and this is hands down, by far, the VERY best! If you are wanting to see animals, stay at Mara West. If you are wanting great food and accommodations, stay at Mara West. If you are wanting to experience Africa, stay at Mara West.
Andy, Francis and Grace are genuinely kind, loving people. They want you to have the best experience and go out of their way to ensure your comfort and happiness; however, truth be told, Mara West is already set up for comfort and happiness, so I think their job is easily accomplished.
To wake up in the morning to Zebra and Giraffe right outside your room and the smell of fresh Kenya coffee is paradise. I'm planning my return trip next Spring.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the High-End. It's totally worth it!
1  Thank MrsARTC

Reviewed 21 July 2011

I stayed in the economy lodging at Mara West. The accommodations exceeded my expectations. The service was top notch, the food tasted delicious, and the views were spectacular! I felt like I was on a safari everyday--I got to see zebras, giraffe's, and elephant's even when I wasn't meaning to. Some animals would even roam through the camp at night! There are guard's at night who watch over the camp which made me feel very safe. One of the guard's told me that if you don't bother the animals, they won't bother you. When asked, the guard did say that he once wrestled a leopard when it came by the camp! He told me not to worry because he won! Of course he didn't kill the leopard but he did scare it away!
All in all, I had a spectacular time and would highly recommend Mara West!

1  Thank happievoweless
Reviewed 19 July 2011

This hotel is amazing! It hosts mission groups in it's lower end tent huts and has the most amazing high end rooms overlooking the Mara. The zebras, giraffes and gazelle feel safe there as did we even though we could hear lions roaring in the night! The staff is 100% there for the visitors and the food was amazing! One night they brought out an individual pizza oven and made everybody therir own pizza. My daughter and I loved it! They also have the most incredible safari that I think you could be on, since they have been around the area so long. They know all the ins and outs and where to find the animals. One can fly there from Nairobi if yyou don't want to drive the slow dusty roads. I cannot say enough good abut this place!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank pkj27
Reviewed 18 July 2011

Somehow the Mara West facility provides an aspect of exotic luxury while still bringing a true, authentic African experience. The suites seem to blend right in to the surroundings but once inside you quickly become aware that you are staying somewhere special. Very tasteful set-up.
Located right on the doorstep of the Mara game reserve, you can't get any closer view than this! I was able to get up in the middle of the night and see Zebras grazing by my tent. The staff is incredibly friendly and willing to help, not to mention proficient in English. As for the Safari, amazing. Our drivers got us closer than I ever thought was possible, while keeping our safety as a top priority of course. And last but not least, the food made by the kitchen staff blew me away. Our diet was diversified and tasty!

I recommend Mara West to anyone looking for truly authentic adventure in a safe, friendly environment.

Room Tip: The high end suites are worth it!
1  Thank surfguy83
Reviewed 17 July 2011

I was part of a group. When I heard that they could accommodate people w/ limited mobility, I took my Mom along. She had her 88th birthday in Kenya! The location at the edge of the game park was amazing. It was like living in the midst of the animals. We were in the economy / mid-grade section and it was very nice. The food was very good. No one lost weight on this trip. The staff were very helpful and friendly. We wanted to take a hot air balloon ride and they made all the arrangements and had coffee and pastries for us before we left. The "safari" trips into the park were great but we found out that is was a mini safari when we went anywhere. This was a trip of a lifetime - but I'm coming back for more.

Room Tip: Let Grace or Andrew know about any special needs. For mid-range or high-end, there are no bad rooms!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family