“Funky restaurant in a secure compound.”
Review of Habesha

Habesha
Ranked #12 of 721 Restaurants in Nairobi
Cuisines: African
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 23 January 2018

As we arrived at the restaurant, we didn't know what to expect as we drove up to the steel gates in our taxi. The gates opened and closed behind us and inside the compound was a very smart restaurant with plenty of outdoor tables.

We told our waiter we were rushed for time so he made a good effort to serve us quickly. I'm an English speaker and unfortunately there was a huge language barrier which resulted in only one dish being ordered instead of two. Maybe it was my Welsh accent which is stronger than when you forget to take your Kenyan tea bag out of your cup of tea before you start drinking it.

So when our food arrived, the quality was exceptional. I can't wait to visit again to try more things. The till broke as we were waiting for our bill so we had to calculate our own bill and leave the money with the waiter.

Next time I come I want to leave a five star review.

Reviewed 6 January 2018 via mobile

Whenever we visit family in Nairobi from Australia this is our first stop. Our favourite restaurant in Africa! Fabulous food with great flavours. Friendly staff. Great atmosphere. We look forward to this so much! What a gem! Wish they would open in Sydney!

Reviewed 12 December 2017 via mobile

Went there for lunch at habesha. Must try the chilli shiro and the doro whatt. The ambiance is very ghetto style and could put you off easily but the food takes that away.

Reviewed 20 November 2017

Incredible aesthetic its a very visually interesting place to dine out at. The staff are all polite and well trained delivering great service and their chef is a talent to behold. I stayed in Nairobi for a 10 days and I visited Habesha four times the food is so good it opened my eyes to Ethiopian cuisine which has now become my favourite. I greatly look forward to visiting Nairobi again so I can have another platter at Habesha. Was also great for vegans.

Reviewed 19 November 2017 via mobile

Food is very nice and potions more than adequate. My favorite Ethiopian restaurant in Nairobi. Staff friendly and attentive too.