Review Highlights
Lot to Shop

Lot of shops selling souvenirs, clothes ,leather goods etc. If you are good at bargaining then you... read more

Reviewed 17 June 2018
raghu67
bangalore
Surprisingly quiet

After visiting Cairo and Aswan souks, I was impressed by the silent that is found in Luxor souk... read more

Reviewed 13 August 2017

from USD 10.00
from USD 6.50
from USD 475.00
More Info
All reviews khan el khalili hibiscus tea bargaining souq pashmina bargains shop hassle egyptian cairo tat
Reviewed 16 June 2018 via mobile

Myself and my 72 year old father were both verbally and twice physically abused in this souk.

My dad had his hand squeezed by a vendor and I was confronted by a seller from "the student shop" who would not let me past and put his face against mine.

An orange seller took my money for the orange and then said it was fake. Until I threatened to call the police he would not give it back and take another note. Eventually he admitted he was lying.

Another member of our group had a scarf she had bought swapped by "sleight of hand" to a far cheaper version.

Please beware of his place. Aswan is not as bad.

1  Thank tones_9
Reviewed 3 March 2018

Our travel company had ordered small horse chariots to take us through town market and although it didn´t allow us to bargon much, I had never had such an experience, when on really narrow space the chariot squeezes itself through everything and you can take such photos of the souk from "safe position" from the crowd ... Photos were beautiful and feeling unique (how people react when they must keep away from the horse, some smile and wave, some give angry looks ...). And of course the colours and smells and all this oriental vibe at the souk was also perfect.

Reviewed 20 February 2018 via mobile

I found the souq in Luxor to be much better than Khan el-Khalili in Cairo. The range of goods was better with far less “Made in China” tourist tat. I also found two Fairtrade shops, one in the soup and one just outside which sold genuine handicrafts. Recommended!

1  Thank judyanne100
Reviewed 16 January 2018

Not as aggressive as the Aswan Souk, but still too touchy and chatty for my taste. Dishonesty breeds through all these Egyptian souks, however you must experience the souk for yourself. I only made one visit to the Luxor souk where I purchased a few small items and a couple of scarfs for a decent price.

Ensure you walk by all the vendors first before buying, as you will find out through casual bargaining what their lowest price will be, I walked away with some great bargains! There are a lot of cheap Chinese made pashmina scarfs which do make good gifts, but the higher quality ones that were authentic Egyptian made scarfs were found at Deb Scarf Shop.

Reviewed 2 January 2018

Luxor market is smaller than Cairo and Aswan but is rather more clean and faun to go around. i bought nice caftans and pants for the summer as well as hibiscus tea and handmade lamps.
Totally worth visit!!