Review Highlights
Lot to Shop

Lot of shops selling souvenirs, clothes ,leather goods etc. If you are good at bargaining then you... read more

Reviewed 17 June 2018
raghu67
bangalore
Surprisingly quiet

After visiting Cairo and Aswan souks, I was impressed by the silent that is found in Luxor souk... read more

Reviewed 13 August 2017

from USD 10.00
from USD 6.50
from USD 475.00
More Info
All reviews khan el khalili hibiscus tea bargaining souq pashmina bargains shop hassle egyptian cairo tat
Reviewed 8 January 2017

Luxor Souk is a pretty good place to pick up some souvenirs; it's less busy then the markets in Cairo and you get less hassle. However the wears on offer are a lot more touristy and much of it is crap. You have to do some real hunting to find the worthwhile treasure.

Reviewed 30 November 2016

Each step down narrow winding streets brings a new discovery! You will encounter many colorful and exotic things and get a more intimate understanding of Egyptian culture.

For example, you might find a spice vendor, such as Mustafa's "Leave it to God" (Khalkha, Alla Allaa) on Zoqaq Ghazal Street. GPS: N 25 42.139 E 32 38.715.

If you can't locate what you are looking for, don't be shy to ask a vendor. Mustafa lead me several blocks to a different vendor. Of course, if you do this, don't forget to thank the helpful person by buying something or a generous tip.

Reviewed 27 August 2016

On my first day I was too tired to explore and ended up strolling in the tourist market, which has this funny entrance etc. I bought few fruits -- 3 apples, small bunch of grapes and 5 bananas, the guy asked me for 20EGP, since there were locals buying with me, I assumed it is a normal price as nobody was surprised at the number given by the vendor. I carried on all the way to the end, where I found this amazing bakery, with bunch of locals buying bread. I got 6 sticks for 1EGP, that made me realize the fruits cannot be so expensive. At that point I went back to that vendor and told him I want my money back, he either did not understand me or pretended not to and asked some guys sitting not far to come over and help translate at that point I realized that everyone is on my side and I got my money back with no problem. Of course on my third day there I discovered the shopping street stretching right along the train station and that was by far the best experience. From vendors who would give stuff without money as they have no change and suggest you bring the money next day to kids with happy smiles asking for a falafel. I was a single female traveler walking alone very late, feeling very safe and discussing with anyone who would try to sell me stuff. I never bought anything I did not want to and to be honest all I bought in Luxor was street food and juices, which are soooo delicious! None of the sellers were pushy in that street. The misconception of dangerous people is only a misunderstanding. There might be annoying people, but never dangerous, I was arguing with everyone who seemed unfair with me, I was doing it with a smile and with some sarcasm, with friendliness and respect and I got the same in return.

4  Thank aistis123
Reviewed 30 July 2016

The bargaining is so different then the way most westerners are accustomed to buying something I think is what makes this type of interaction stressful. Sort of like buying a car in the U.S. Even if you don't come to an agreement on price it's a great way to engage the locals in conversation. With so few tourist in Egypt right now your likely to be the only tourist walking the Souk, we were. I found if you just stopped and talked to the vendors or joked with them it was actually enjoyable.

Reviewed 12 July 2016 via mobile

Very bad market with lot of creeps passing comments on you and try to talk to you. Don't fall prey to shops, they say a lot to bargain.

1  Thank radhikamittal14