We booked the hotel through Thomas Cook and paid extra for a clear nile view with balcony . On arrival we were shown to Room 420 which met all our requirements except that the balcony was tiny ,wedge shaped and did not offer a full view of the Nile.We complained and were offered an upgrade at $50 /night . After waiting 30 minutes for the upgrade to be shown to us we were told thetre were no rooms available but the next day we would be offered a similar room with full Nile view .We were transferred to room 322 the next day with a full sized balcony .-for no extra charge !!
The hotel is well located in Luxor and all the staff were pleasant
At our Tour rep meeting the T. Cook rep said everything was fantastic and pushed the organised tours -none of which we went on .
My partner tried the spa -it was rubbish and they were pushing extra treatments whilst carrying out the massage .
Whilst we were happy with the hotel given the price paid it is not a 5* hotel more like 3.5*
We list below the lessons we learnt on our first trip to Egypt .
1, get a taxi driver /guide you can trust -we used luxortaxi.com Hassan was excellent and organised restaurant trips etc . When we said we were interested in going on a Dahabiya (small luxury sailing boat ) he organised a trip to Esna to see his 'Uncles' boat .The trip to/ from Luxor cost E£200 -the going rate -and we got afull tour of the boat and a 3 course meal for free .
2. Carry lots of £1 coins this seems to be the currency of baksheesh (tipping)
3. Eat outside of the restaurant -we recommend Sofra and Africa prices are at least 50-70% cheaper than the hotel
4. Accept that you are going to get some hassle -but we found the useful phrase 'la shu-kran ' (no thank you ) worked wonders -also remember that the Egyptians have a wonderful sense of humour -so engage with them enjoy bargaining with them and understand that they are very poor compared with us
5.Do not drink any of the tap water but try the egyptian food -it is very good
We enjoyed ourselves so much we are hoping to return to the Steigenberger in November
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Our Steigenberger Nile Palace Luxor Hotel, It is a 5 stars hotel has a unique location amidst relics of a 7000-years-old civilization, in the heart of Luxor, only 1.5 Km. From the temple of Luxor and 10 Km. From Luxor Airport. Guests can enjoy a marvelous view of the mighty Nile in addition to the cliffs of the Theban Mountains on the western bank where the valley of kings and Queens lie. The hotel offers a variety of service and facilities, 11 conferences and break out rooms that can host up to 2000 participants, among other things. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia APAC, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Wotif.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, lastminute.com.au, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Steigenberger Nile Palace Luxor reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Steigenberger Nile Palace Luxor Hotel Luxor
- Steigenberger Nile Palace Hotel Luxor
- Nile Palace Luxor
- Luxor Steigenberger Nile Palace
- Le Meridien Luxor
- Nile Palace Hotel Luxor