“Disappointing!!!!!”

Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Aswan
mumbai
“Disappointing!!!!!”
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I stayed at the Isis Corniche Hotel for a night in the first week of feb 2012 and I must say i was disappointed. The hotel is in steps and has bunglow style rooms. My room was in a niche so neither did i have a view nor was it easily approachable. The room was dingy, dark and looked old. The pillows were horrible. Though they had a tub...there was no plug so one could not soak. the water was only luke warm. since I was traveling solo, my concern was safety. The rooms did not have any means of locking from the inside. There obviously was a safety chain earlier but it was missing. So though i was assured that the room could only open with the key that I had and the master key with the reception...it did not make me feel too safe. It is surprising how hotels in Egypt who host international travelers have only arabic channels on their TV..this one being no different. Though the hotel advertises free wifi in the hotel lobby, the day I was there it did not work. I had my dinner at the coffee shop and it was nothing very great. I was given a packed breakfast the next morning as I had an early start for Abu Simbel. This consisted of a tetra pack juice, a couple of buns and a piece of cake. the only thing that is worth mentioning about the hotel is that the location is great. Lots of shops and eating places around. Also some rooms have the view of the nile and also the restaurants and coffee shop.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank reetzy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Arabic first
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 5 February 2012

I thought the Isis was a good choice for Aswan; as noted in a previous review, the location is great. Staff are friendly and helpful. The rooms are set back from one another in step fashion so you have some privacy when you sit on your little terrace. My Nile-facing room didn't have much of a view exept of the swimming pool, but if I wanted to see the Nile I could easily sit outside the restaurant while I ate breakfast.

The room was clean and came with a small fridge. The bed was comfortable with a very cozy duvet; it was quite chilly at night while I was there. There were other amenities such as a hair dryer and magnifying mirror. Housekeeping staff are a bit off getting the room cleaned in a timely manner, and forgetting either a hand towel or bath mat. Wi-fi is only available in the lobby, where a lot of people including staff are smoking.

Being right on the Corniche, one could easily walk to the wonderful Nubian Museum or local restaurants. The hotel's restaurant is pretty bad; the two times I ate lunch out on the terrace the food was poorly prepared--the soup wasn't hot, and the cold mezza plate didn't have everything that was listed on the menu. The stuffed grape leaves were tough and hard, and there was an inexplicably large pile of croutons on the plate. The breakfast buffet was pretty good, though, and there is someone who can prepare eggs to your liking.

If I were to return to Aswan I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Avoid the restaurant except for breakfast.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 31 January 2012

The location is the best thing about this hotel. Right in the middle of town, a walking distance from main souq, train station, ferry boats and McDonalds!
The room is fairly clean (but beware of the mosquitos!). The service is polite but not as fast as expected (something which I believe a cultural thing about Aswan, people are too peacful and quiet for a Cairine like myself, so their actions always fall below my expectations!).
On B&B basis, breakfast were not that great, mailny beans, omlettes, onion-packed sausage bites and some stall cheese. Beware of the tea served BOILING hot, as is the habit in all Upper Egyptian cities.
No parking, no valee ... and too few bell boys to serve for luggage pick-up so we had to wait a while before we could check in.

Room Tip: room 14, the last one in the pool-view rooms had perfect view, your window is right over the nile an...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shereen A
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 31 January 2012

The room decoration was v old. Cleanliness is fair, nice Nile river view, staff are helpful and nice. Wifi is only available in lobby.

• Stayed February 2011
Wheaton, Maryland
Reviewed 29 January 2012

The Isis Corniche looks like it has seen better days, and no doubt it has- the past year has been rough for Egypt, and the tourism industry has suffered tremendous losses, but if there is one place we stayed the night over the past week of touring the country that really over-met our expectations, it was the Isis Corniche Hotel in Aswan. It was the first hotel I booked for the trip, and turned out to be the best. I called ahead of time (3 times in fact) because of the negative reviews I had read on Trip Advisor. The reservation manager, Mr. Hani, helped put my mind at ease each time. I told him we are vegetarians- no problem. We needed a breakfast box for our 4am convoy to Abu Simbel- no problem. I had to cancel the first night due to an unexpected scheduling conflict- no problem. We would be arriving on the morning train from Cairo & requested an early check-in- no problem. I began to grow suspicious, because in Egypt "no problem" can just as often mean exactly the opposite. When we arrived at 9:30am we were immediately taken to a room... which was fine, except that the "Nile-view" was obstructed, and not only had my booking stated that our room would have a Nile view, but because of this I had informed my wife that I had booked a room with a Nile view. Imagine my displeasure- here it is her first time in Egypt, its up to me to make her happy (I planned the trip), and I tell her there will be a Nile view from the hotel room... well, I was frankly upset to say the least. At reception I was told that another room may be available after noon, if we could wait until then, so we waited w/o unpacking for an hour, and then decided to take a walk around the property... counting the number of empty rooms with unobstructed Nile views. I was fuming by the time I made it back to reception... why were we kept waiting when there were so many empty rooms? But my anger was soothed when upon my entry to the main lobby I was introduced, face-to-face with Mr. Hani, who by now knew me well. He informed me that he had given us the "very best" room... #118... and whether this is the case or not it doesn't matter... it had the "very best" view of the Nile of any of the rooms I had seen, therefore I will believe him. Thank you Mr. Hani for making our stay excellent, beyond our expectations.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple