1,599 results
All reviews agatha christie old cataract nile wing winston churchill old world french restaurant indoor pool original building new wing steam room terrace restaurant steeped in history high tea winter palace beautiful hotel elephantine island the river
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We booked one night at the Old Cataract to rest after our wonderful cruise from Luxor to Aswan. I am living in Egypt and my parents had come out to visit me for the first time. Whilst the hotel itself is beautiful and actually the bar and pool staff are fantastic, I am not sure the customer service reflects the price of the room.

We arrived early at the hotel around 10am as our cruise had asked us to be out at 9am. We knew this was well before check in time but we assumed s large hotel like the Cataract could either accommodate us earlier or at least make us feel welcome.

Sadly, the hotel’s procedures for early arrivals are poor. When we arrived we had 3 separate people ask for our passports so there was clearly no communication. A lady came over and told us our rooms weren’t ready and we could use the hotel’s amenities. Before we even had a chance to ask any questions she had turned and gone. We had a look around the foyer and eventually a kind bar member took us into the terrace and took a drinks order. However there was an issue as we didn’t know our room number ... I went to find the lady at the front desk and asked for the room number and roughly how long we could anticipate waiting. She said the room was empty so not long.

We waited on the terrace for over an hour and and a half no one from front of desk came to speak with us or update us. I then went again to find the same woman and asked for another time check. She called house keeping and said she would let us know. I then asked if we could have our cases as we wanted to swim as it was so hot. She said she would get them sent to the spa. I then had to ask where the spa was!! Again, I think the hotel relies on people coming back and there was just no induction whatsoever!

We went to the spa and got changed and headed to the pool where sadly there were no loungers. The pool staff were very lovely and could sense our frustration as we were tired and hungry. They got us some chairs and after 30 minutes found some loungers. By this point we had been at he pool for an hour and the lady had still not come and updated us on the time.

Cue another visit to reception where I spoke to someone different. I made it clear that I was disappointed in the welcome we had received and how we had no communication. He listened but just kept saying “it’s ok!”. He then told us the room was in fact ready but no one had told us! By this point ... my parents and I were tired and a little frustrated with the hotel.

The positives - the rooms themselves are beautiful! There are still issues - room 9202 has plug sockets in the bathroom that aren’t fitted properly and 9204 had no hot water at all. I called maintenance who said they had fixed it but sadly not! Again, when we were shown to our rooms there was no information about dinner, breakfast or check our times the next day.

We had dinner at the oriental restaurant that night where the food was good but service very slow. Again, waiting staff were excellent!

When we came to check out I expressed my disappointment in our stay. And especially about the lack of communication and hot water. I was told they hopefully could do better on our next visit...

As a resident here I had heard so much about this hotel and whilst the hotel is beautiful and the staff working at the bar and pool are awesome I think the hotel is relying on the name of the hotel. I had read in reviews that you can ask to see the Agatha Christie room if it’s free- which I did! I was told it was empty but couldn’t look around it.

The hotel had a large wedding the following day and I wonder if they were preoccupied with this large event. My main advice for people going - book a Nile view room and make sure you get a table for high tea and sunset on the terrace.

The hotel has lots of lovely features but they must sort out their procedures for early arrivals.

Date of stay: April 2018
1  Thank travellingcoot
MahmoudFathy79, Manager at Sofitel Legend Old Cataract Aswan, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Bonjour
Thank you for your invaluable feedback you have shared with us regarding your most recent stay.
We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in your room with breathtaking Nile view.
At Sofitel Legend we strive to be the best in our customer service, therefore it is disappointing to read that we did not meet your expectations. I have shared your feedback with Our Front Office Manager & Maintenance Manager, in order for them to ensure consistency in the level of service we offer within the team.
I am sorry for the inconvenience that might be occurred during your check in, kindly be informed that our Check In time is at 15H00, however I have informed our Front Office Team & Guest Relation team to communicate with our valued guest who are waiting for their rooms that are not ready informing them that they can enjoy the hotel facilities i.e. SO SPA, Swimming Pool & to ensure the best service should be provided for our valued guests until the room will be ready.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

We spent 3 nights in a palace cataract suite. with a stunning view at the Nile. Lovely bed, gorgeous room, nice bathroom with soft thick towels. Room is clean and well maintained.

The pool is lovely, great temperature, nice staff although during lunch time they struggle with service. Especially the second day the fries were cold after a long wait. The pool needs maintenance. At the edge a lot of missing tiles and brown edges among other things that were broken like water filters at the bottom with big holes in it.

The food was ok. Not spectacular, not bad. Waiting for 40 minutes for your meal and than getting the wrong dish was a let down however the staff extensively apologised for it and made up for it.

Breakfast is good and coffee is also very good.

We did a 2 hour spa treatment that was really good. The spa facilities are excellent and it looks stunning. We had a couple treatment and the only downside was that the girls were talking and laughing during the treatment (with each other in their own language) but the treatment itself was excellent.

In conclusion it’s a fantastic hotel where you can feel the heritage. Stunning views on the Nile and overall very good.

I would come back if I am in Aswan again.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
MahmoudFathy79, Manager at Sofitel Legend Old Cataract Aswan, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Bonjour
Thank you for taking the time to provide hotel with feedback in regards to your recent stay with us at Sofitel Legend Old Cataract Aswan.
It truly is a heart warming to read that you enjoyed your stay at your Palace Cataract Suite with the stunning view of the Nile.
In regards to your comments about the pool maintenance, kindly be informed that I have communicated your comment with our director of engineering. Thank you so much for sharing this valuable feedback.

It is so delight to know the massage treatment was excellent,however please be informed that i have spoken to the therapists assuring that they have to provide the utmost relaxing atmosphere during the treatment.
Thank you again for sharing your experience & for continued love for our hotel. We deeply appreciate your loyalty.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Legend Old cataract Aswan ensuring you a magnifique stay with us.

Reviewed 23 March 2018 via mobile

My husband and I had the occasion to visit Aswan for the first time. I had heard about the beautiful Old Cataract Hotel and that one of my favourite authors, Agatha Christy, had stayed there and it is where she wrote her book “Death on the Nile”. Our guide, Mohsen, arranged for us to come to the hotel for an afternoon glass of wine on the famous terrace. The waiters were attentive, the suggested wine lovely, and the view of the Nile was stunning! It was a very memorable experience! And the best was that our guide arranged with the staff to have us go into Miss Christy’s suite. We felt so welcomed and thoroughly enjoyed our brief visit.

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank marciajulian
MahmoudFathy79, Manager at Sofitel Legend Old Cataract Aswan, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2018

Dear Valued Visitor
Bonjour
Thank you so much for your feedback in regards to your recent visit at Sofitel Legend Old Cataract Aswan!
It truly is a delight to read that you have enjoyed your visit at our hotel.
We look forward to welcome you back to our hotel again in the near future.
Warm Regards

Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

Our expectations of the grandeur of the building and its location didn’t disappoint. We had a Nile View suite with stunning views and very comfortable interiors. The architecture of the building is wonderful and lunch on the cool terrace was very welcome after the heat of the town.
This is where the but comes in - I received a very painful and quite distressing electric shock from the bathroom mirror! The reception staff were not unduly concerned and the only apology I received was from the gentleman who did the “turn down” service!
We had been looking forward to the dining experience in the 1902 restaurant and again the surroundings didn’t fail to impress but the prices were a lot more pricey than we were expecting, so a word of caution, look at the menu beforehand!
But the most disappointing and final issue was being accused of taking an item from the mini bar, which we hadn’t (we had brought a bottle of Coca Cola with us!) and the bureaucratic rigmarole they put us through to cover themselves should we be telling lies!
For an historic location with its wealth of history, it is sad when a Chain has stamped its mark and its “city” mentality on a hotel that has so much more to offer than the norm!

Date of stay: March 2018
4  Thank tigerlily012
MahmoudFathy79, Manager at Sofitel Legend Old Cataract Aswan, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2018

Bonjour
Firstly, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you so much for taking the time to provide our hotel with your valuable feedback.
We are so glad to read that we met your expectations in term of Location,Suite with stunning views,comfortable interiors .Also It is truly a delight to read that you enjoyed your lunch at our Legendary cool Terrace after the heat of the town.
We would love to know which room you stayed in so we can follow up with the Front Office,Housekeeping & Maintenance Departments to address the problem of the electric shock from the bathroom mirror.
If you would be so kind to email me directly on h1666-qc@sofitel.com ,it would be most helpful. This way I can follow up on your most concerning comments made in regards to maintenance & Mini Bar issues.
I do hope to hear from you soon & looking forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Legend Old Cataract Aswan.

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

Beautiful hotel with some of the nicest rooms I have stayed in. Amazing, large and beautiful with stunning views over the nile. Hotel aside, we were disappointed with the restaurants. Food and drinks took a crazy amount of time to arrive every time and the food arrived cold when eating at the Terrace, even though prices were at a premium. Consider eating elsewhere.

Date of stay: February 2018

Bonjour
We are so delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in one of our amazing comfortable room with a stunning view of the Nile.
At Sofitel Legend we strive to be the best in our customer service, therefore it is disappointing to read that you were disappointed with our restaurants. I have shared your feedback with our Food & Beverages Manager & Executive Chef in order for them to ensure consistency in the level of service we offer within the team.