Lol.travel
Perth, Australia

The Start and end of Contiki Nile Cruise

Review of Victoria Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 8 Dec 2012
As pretty much everyone else who stays here we stayed due to it being the start and end of our contiki tour. The staff speak broken english and are super helpful. The bar area is nice and cosy and a good place to meet you fellow contiki family. There is an Internet room were you pay a small amount per 1/2hr intervals. You can either use there computers or plug in your own laptop. The bar staff will serve you alcohol in there internet room. You will be asked if you want a drink and expect to tip all the time. When we arrived a little old man grabbed our bags and carried them up to our room. I'm certain he was pushing 80 years old. Then we had to tip. we being aussie which do not tip and this being the start of our 6 months RTW trip we had no idea on how to tip. So I now know that he got a good tip and wanted to help us were ever we went. The resturant is great and really cheap. The hotel is not hugely cheap for Egypt standards but real cheap for us Aussies.
Date of stay: July 2012
Room Tip: Pay a little more and get a bigger room. All rooms wil be noisey as it is in Cairo. You will here...
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1.5 km from Victoria Hotel
Radissonhotels.com
13.6 km from Victoria Hotel
View more hotels in Cairo
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 November 2012

I stayed at this hotel is August 2012. I was on an organised tour and stayed two night at the beginning of the tour and one night at the end of the tour. The hotel is in a good location and an easy walk to local shops and a short drive to the Egyptian Museum. The staff were very friendly and helpful during my stay. They organised a taxi and a day sightseeing, channged currency for us and gave good local information on where was safe to walk around. Being a female initally traveling on my own I really appreciated their help. The rooms were clean, fairly basic but had everything I needed. The room rate included breakfast, there was a choice of breads, bolied eggs, cereals and juices which were adequate. I ate in the hotel restaurant a couple of times and had good meals. I felt the food and drink prices were very reasonable. I would use this hotel again if i returned to Cairo. Becky from England

Date of stay: August 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
5  Thank BeckyC409
Reviewed 27 October 2012 via mobile

The only reason I stayed here was because it is the start and finish hotel for Contiki.

Try and get the latest flight in if your joining the tour to minimize your stay.

After traveling a long day I arrived at 7pm and was greeted with a large bedroom with air con so that was good but no temperature control. The beds were super flat and rock hard and no international channels on the tv. Seem to only get hot water in the morning.

The breakfast was gross, so stick to a croissant and jam and DON'T DRINK the 'JUICE' I suspect it's Egyptian tape water with some flavor through it, it was one of the last things I consumed and I was extremely sick!!!

One positive note was they did do up a plate of French fries upon request to take to the room to eat which was nice as I wasn't feeling up to going out on the first night

It has a nice foyer but the hall ways and rooms have bit of a spooky,twilight zone feel to it.

Date of stay: October 2012
4  Thank skyske
Reviewed 26 October 2012

OVERALL - 7/10

great hotel in downtown Cairo with wonderful bar, colonial style architecture, splendid interiors and superb staff and service. A big thank you to the bar staff, cleaners, manager, receptionists - you made my time here very memorable and I shall be recommending to my friends BUT - and I discussed this you - you need to have wi-fi (FREE) at least in the lobby area - NOT a separate Internet room where you have to pay - who does this anymore, with everyone having wi-fi enable devices etc. Why havnt you done this Mr DIRECTOR?
Also Coffee facilities - INSTANT - not acceptable for a hotel of this standard POOR.

ROOMS - acceptable - but you need to sort out the TV's in terms of better choice of channels and signal

If you had free wi-fi and good coffee I would not have needed to every morning to have gone to Tahrir for my morning coffee with free wi-fi - you would have got my business and you would also get non-residents coming in spending money.
You have a superb lounge / bar area which other people would love to use if you have these two facilities.
This is an issue that the DIRECTOR/ OWNER of the hotel needs to address. He has already been told about this by the management but seems her does'nt care - usual story with wealthy Egyptian Hotel owners - lots of money, poor management style who doesnt LISTEN and neither cares too much about his employees.

Please remember to tip the wonderful staff. AND mr greedy Director why don't you pay them more?
OVERALL - 7/10
DECOR - 7/10
CLEANLINESS - 8/10
ATMOSPHERE - 8/10
SERVICE - 9/10
DIRECTOR/OWNER - 0/10 (sack yourself)
VALUE - 6.5 / 10
FACILITIES - 6/10 - (no wifi nor coffee machine)
MANAGEMENT - 8/10 (sorry you have such an owner/director)

Date of stay: February 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
4  Thank Jethro672
Reviewed 20 October 2012

If you are looking for a hotel with bags of character, with the most fantastic staff, with shady corners that used to welcome the two great Georges, King George and George Bernard Shaw you get some sense of just how much we enjoyed everything about this hotel which was one of the highlights of our trip to Egypt. A particular highlight was chatting with the bow tied barmen over a glass of cold Cairo beer. Old fashioned service and values that are too often lost in today's hospitality 'industry' and which were shared by housekeepers, doorman and reception manager. If you are looking for a plastic Sharm type of experience before you hop on your Nile cruise you might well be disappointed. However if you want to know that Cairo really is open for business; you want to explore a bit away from the ubiquitous mass tours; and you want to stay in a hotel with old fashioned values as well as terrific provenance, then you should seriously consider the Victoria. Yes, to answer its critics Cairo is huge, dusty, loud, polluted and maddeningly congested. The greatest African and Arabic city doused in equal measures in poverty and revolution, as it has been for 5000 years. But that is also its great attraction. We freely walked around Arabic Cairo, Souks, The Egyptian Museum, The Pyramids and yes, we thoroughly explored Midan Tahrir (Square) talking to lots of people about what it all meant to them. Not a hint of trouble anywhere whilst we were in Cairo between 9-11 October except some pretty strong hints that there might be a bit of trouble on Friday 12th October on Midan Tahrir. Which there was. My strong personal view is that Cairo is very much open for business and welcoming travellers. Be as careful as you would in any city around the world and you will have a really interesting as well as exciting experience. Cap it off with a great guide like we had (Ayman from Emo Tours) and a few days in the Hotel Victoria and you might get just a few more memories packed in than you might have ever hoped for.

Date of stay: October 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Darron1970
Reviewed 9 October 2012

I stayed here with my husband as part of a tour with 18-35 year olds and booked a night the day prior to the tour starting. We did not see any other travellers, guests, tourist in the hotel nor in the surrounding area of the hotel. The hotel is situated in an industrial type area where it is very busy at night for the locals to be out and about, but be warned ladies, You Need to be covered Head to Toe if you want to walk around in this area and dont walk around by yourself. I wore a long strapless maxi dress with a shawl to cover my shoulders and the atmosphere was extremely uncomfortable that we had to return to the hotel for me to get changed into a high neck, long sleeve sweater. Everyone will blatantly stare at you, men will call out and leer at you and its just not nice. The locals around the hotel area do not accept tourist kindly. Once with the tour it was a bit better. The staff at the hotel try to be helpful but most have very poor English and asking for directions or advice is useless. The rooms are very old and dim but relatively spacious. The showers have intermittent hot water that comes and goes. As for breakfast, don't bother. We were up early both days at 7am and the cheese slices put out for breakfast where already sweating and curling at the sides. There is zero ambiance as we were the only ones there, eating stale crissonts in eerie silence as the polite but tired waiter loitered around trying to keep busy. If you are on a budget and need a bed, this is for you, anyone else, stay elsewhere.

Date of stay: September 2012