Gayer-Anderson Museum (Bayt al-Kiritliya)

Ways to Experience Gayer-Anderson Museum (Bayt al-Kiritliya)
from USD 60.00
from USD 68.58
from USD 480.00
More Info
All reviews british army james bond screened windows from room to room free tour worth a visit islamic culture great collection spy ibn collector tolon labyrinth art glimpse era centuries
Selected filters
Reviewed 28 October 2018

If you are an achitecture or design fan, then make this a stop while in Cairo. Loved the feel of this and the collections were wonderful. It is different from the major historical sights but the glimpse into the lifestyle is well worth the visit. Perhaps not for everyone, but a place I want to return to.

Date of experience: October 2018
Reviewed 27 September 2018

The house-museum is great — interesting architecture, fantastic unique collection, quite large. Unfortunately, the staff is terrible. You are not allowed to wander around on your own, so you will have a "guide" the entire time, who will give you poor explanations in broken English while rushing you from room to room so that he can get back to playing games on his phone. Examining things in more detail and taking time to appreciate particular objects is met with "there is much more to see! Please, this way." I was rushed through the entire place in under 40 minutes, which is a shame because there is quite a lot to appreciate. The guide blocked my way and even demanded baksheesh at the end and seemed disappointed with 10 EGP; what, I already paid 60 EGP for the entry and 50 for the photo guide (which I would not have paid for if I had known I would be rushed through), why would I give you baksheesh for something that is worse than if you were not even here at all?

I can understand why they require someone to follow you around—the items are mostly not secured and could be easily stolen by an unscrupulous person if no one was there to watch—but they could be much less obtrusive, or be actually professional and have any idea what they are talking about. There are actually signs in most of the rooms explaining much of the collection, which were more informative than the "guide".

Date of experience: September 2018
6  Thank Egw87
Reviewed 29 July 2018

Collected by British major John Gayer-Anderson between 1935 and 1942 in two 16-th century houses next to the Ibn Tulun mosque. A puzzle of rooms and stairs. Unique mashrabiyya gallery overlooking a large gathering room with a marble fountain in the centre. Decorated ceiling beams, alcoves, collections of tiles, antiquities, artwork..., a small collection of original old-Egyptian artefacts....
Difficult for disabled people.

Date of experience: July 2018
1  Thank cw f
Reviewed 16 July 2018 via mobile

I have heard great things about the G-A museum over the years. But being an Egyptian who lives abroad, I never prioritized it on my visits home. But having moved back to Cairo, I finally got round to it.

The architecture, inside and outside are very nice (especially the roof top terrace with views over Ibn Tulun Mosque). However, I found the objects inside the home did not come together. I neither felt that I was in a Museum nor in a home that was lived in.

There is much to see inside, especially the wonderful art collection, but I was still underwhelmed having expected more.

I definitely recommend a one hour visit to G-A if you are going to Ibn Tulun Mosque anyway. But it’s not a must-see in a city full of amazing history.

Date of experience: July 2018
2  Thank HassanElNahas
Reviewed 10 July 2018

A great collection in a great historical location. The museum deserves a full day at least to appreciate the extensive collection

Date of experience: May 2018