Gayer-Anderson Museum (Bayt al-Kiritliya)

Ways to Experience Gayer-Anderson Museum (Bayt al-Kiritliya)
from USD 60.00
from USD 68.58
from USD 480.00
More Info
All reviews british army james bond screened windows from room to room free tour worth a visit islamic culture great collection spy ibn collector tolon labyrinth art glimpse era centuries
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 December 2017

Somewhat on a whim I asked a cabbie to take me to the Gayer Anderson house, which I'd always read was an incredible slice of life in Old Cairo. Best decision I ever made! This mansion was labyrinthine, sprawling, lush, perfect. Every corner held some new surprise which took my breath away and my tour guide did a lovely job of making me feel like a VIP. Need to go back again (this time with a fully charged iPhone.)

1  Thank Del_Blackwater
Reviewed 20 November 2017

Read the book on Guyer-Anderson so I wanted to see what treasures this man had collected. Not easy to get to. Have to take a cab which can be a wild ride with Cairo cab drivers. I felt safe with the people, but driving in Cairo always a challenge. The people on the street were very friendly and helpful. Museum is a hidden gem, well maintained with a lot of Islamic gems and architecture. We learned a lot. Pay to have a guides tour. We gave him a $10 tip. You have to catch a cab back to your hotel. Know how to wave down a cab. Ask for the price of the trip before you get in the cab. Cabbies smoke. Deal with it. Safe. But if you are uncomfortable with dealing with walking on downtown cairo streets, ask one of your guide to accompany you. Very glad we went.

1  Thank johnbarbaram2016
Reviewed 15 November 2017

one of the best hidden gems in Cairo
Totally worth the visit
awesome old house and amazing art pieces from different ages
MUST GO ;)

Date of experience: October 2017
1  Thank Marwa Z
Reviewed 12 November 2017 via mobile

A beautiful building of the 16th century hosts a museum showing the private collection of a British man from early last century. Beautiful , calm , and giving insight to a palace of ancient times

1  Thank hartmutp310
Reviewed 10 November 2017

We were surprised to be the only visitors of this museum that offers a glimpse into the life of an avid collector of oriental art & architecture. We found out about it in a book about Cats in Ancient Egypt featuring the beautiful bronze Bastet from the Gayer Anderson collection that is now in the British Museum.
The museum is lovely and deserves more visitors.
Bring a guide or guide book though, the museum staff members don't speak English.

2  Thank 1,972