“Wow food cosy atmosphere :)”

Tia Maria Restaurant and Wine Bar
Ranked #591 of 4,276 Restaurants in Cairo
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Great little restaurant, food is so delicious and servings are generous too, i had the steak in garlic and mushroom sauce which i highly recommend :) had cheeky glass of wine which was also nice as not many places in Cairo offer alcohol and atmosphere is very welcoming, also very nice to see the owner Jude is a fellow Brit :) will try desperately to get back before I leave for the chocolate fondue i saw another guest tucking into as it looks very very yummy. Would def suggest this restaurant to anyone!!!!

Reviewed 10 February 2012

The food is deliciooooooous, with big quantities.
It's the Best Italian food in town
Will definitely go there again.

They are a bit slow though and the place is a bit dark.

P.S: You cannot miss the Smoked Salmon Fettuccine & the Chocolate Fondu, but you can skip the Cheese Fondu...

A MUST Go ;)

3  Thank Po87
Reviewed 4 February 2012

I was pleased to learn over a month ago that Tia Maria had reappeared after a disastrous attempt to change their theme and menu. Today, I suggested to my spouse that we drive to my barber of long standing on Zamalek to get an overdue haircut and then proceed to Jeddah Street in Mohandaseen for dinner.

It had been several years since we had been there and we were positively salivating by the time that we arrived. We were warmly greeted but I looked around and saw no guests. Admittedly the restaurant is "cozy;" it seats 32 diners. And it was early for Egyptian diners but this restaurant is always occupied by as many ex-pats as it is Egyptian. But no guests? I was beginning to have my doubts. But we sat down and we were immediately smothered in love. Same old menu that we adored before. Same great service - engaged, friendly and bent on pleasing. And we were saddened to hear that they were suffering from the drop in tourism in Egypt due to the revolution and its hangover.

My spouse chose her usual - sea bass in lemon sauce and I chose the filet mignon. She started with a caprese salad and I chose the tomato soup. Both servings were generous and tasty. The entrees were perfect - vegetables prepared better than I had any place in Cairo and just as good as Europe (well, better than the UK) and the US in their better establishments.

We couldn't resist dessert because their "fudge" cake - loaded with hot chocolate surrounded by a brownie bundt cake with ice cream in the hollowed out top - is prepared from scratch and well worth the 20 minute wait. I risked a spoonful and it was to die for.

We bade the manager, Moheb, a farewell, and promised him we would try to drum up some business for him. So if you are hungry, drive to the Shooting Club on Mohie El Din Abo El Ezz and turn on Jeddah Street. Look for a parking spot because the street has been turned into a one way street - the wrong way if you ask me, but that's the town planners for you. And then prepare yourself for a delightful repast in good company.

1  Thank Douglas A
Reviewed 24 December 2011

I lived in Mohandaseen for 10 years and we LOVED this restaurant. Then they made the mistake of trying a new look and menu. Not! Now it's back and well worth the effort of seeking it out. It's on a side street close to the Shooting Club on Mohie Eldin Abou El Ezz (not on Nadi Sid). Go! Go!

1  Thank Douglas A
Reviewed 22 November 2011

I went there with some friends: We ordered Pizza, Appetizer platter, Fillet, and cheese balls.
All food was excellent as well as the ambiance and the atmosphere.
There is also the opportunity of fully reserving the restaurant for a private party (birthday, etc) and customize the music / food.
Worth to try!