“Best brisket in Itaewon”
Review of Manimal Smokehouse

Manimal Smokehouse
Ranked #117 of 123,847 Restaurants in Seoul
Price range: USD 18 - USD 27
Neighbourhood: Itaewon
Description: Manimal Smokehouse is a new American style BBQ restaurant located in Itaewon, Seoul. All meats are smoked in-house daily over cured Korean oak wood in a custom built offset smoker built in Houston, Texas. Our smoker is 100% wood powered with no electrical components.
Reviewed 25 April 2016

Walking past the stacks of wood to enter on the second floor, you know you are entering an authentic smoke house. And there it is just on the right after you enter -- the smoker! Not a guy puffing a cigarette, but an imported smoker. The place is usually crowded after 7 pm, but there is seating by the door. Service was quick, and the service staff speak excellent English. You can choose sets with two or three meats or ala carte as you like. The sides were generous. We had pulled pork, brisket and chicken. My favorite was the brisket, so tender you could cut it with your fork. The pulled pork was good, but the chicken was average. Next time we would just order brisket. Credit cards are accepted.

Reviewed 29 March 2016 via mobile

Okay so Linus is great but manimal... I was very impressed. Although small, people shuffle in and out quite quickly. You absolutely MUST get the brisket, chicken and the POTATOE SALAD. The POTATOE salad is the best I've ever had.. Might as well get 2 or 3. The chicken is extremely moist as well as the brisket with the perfect smoke ring. We enjoyed the beans and corn bread as well of course :) The staff is very friendly and helpful as well! Choose manimal people

Reviewed 29 February 2016 via mobile

First, the food is delicious, with unique flavors, mouth watering brisket, and scrumptious jalapeño corn bread. So, if you eat like a pigeon, are a petite human, or want to spend 50$ for a toddler's portion, then by all means indulge.

However, when I read MANIMAL, I was duped into believing that this was a proper BBQ joint with hearty portions. My wife bought me another dinner after we ate here, spending 60$. The atmosphere is crammed, the service was fine, and the music was loud Kpop- hip hop, club versions of Biggie Smalls--- which is fine, but at a smokehouse I guess it felt more annoying once I saw my portion. At least 4 groups had DSLRs taking pics and filming around the tiny joint.... and I don't want to be on camera while eating with my wife.

So, great place for hipsters, photographers, or for foodies desiring excellent flavors at $$$. If you're hungry don't go here. However, to be fair, I have a cast iron gut, and I'm a hunky guy, so I eat more than most people, but even my wife started laughing when they gave us our meal because she saw the despair in my eyes. Wives, do not take a hungry husband here.

1  Thank GishyKahn
Reviewed 18 February 2016

Excellent pulled pork, though the Brisket and Pulled Pork dish it came from was 38,000 won. The service was decent, but was really made the trip memorable was how absolutely tender and delectable the meat was, and the big rolls are pretty good for only 1,800 won for two. Absolutely recommended if you want an American BBQ experience in Korea, though keep in mind the side dishes are a bit Koreanified, and others may be a bit odd for southern BBQ (what was with the vinegar coleslaw?).

Reviewed 21 January 2016 via mobile

Very good BBQ. Combines the traditional technique of smoking with wood and some creative sauces and glazes. There are 2 great places to go for American BBQ in Seoul, and this is one of them.