“quite a nice place to stay for a while in Seoul”
Review of KW Pencil Hostel

KW Pencil Hostel
Ranked #304 of 623 Speciality Lodging in Seoul
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed here for 5 days when I was travelling in Seoul with 3 other friends.

Location is not bad in that it's Hongdae which is quite a convenient place to go to other tourist attractions in Seoul from. However, it's quite a walking distance away from the subway station and you might have a bit of a hard time dragging luggage there on your first and last day of stay. Other than that, I would say that it wasn't too bad a location.

Rooms and washrooms are very small, (maybe because I was staying with 3 other people) but there are all the amenities you need- a TV, microwave, washing machine, fridge etc. You can borrow cups, utensils and hot water pot from the office downstairs. Also I wouldn't say that the room was very clean. There's dust under the beds and the sink has a little bit of the drain smell. You can borrow the vacuum cleaner from the basement to clean the floor everyday if you want (which was what I did). Basically you just gotta remember that it's a hostel and not a hotel, I guess.

Service-wise, the people there are very friendly. The guy who totally looks like Tablo from Epik High (if you know who that is) is really nice! The staff speaks good English and offers you help with things like carrying your luggage up to your room.

I would recommend this hostel to people who're looking for a place to stay for a while (I think you'll get tired of the small space if you stay for too long) and for a low budget. The location is quite good because you can go eat or shop at Hongdae with just a short walk (10 minutes), the staff is friendly and they have most of the things you'll need :)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank edcjunice

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Had an awesome stay at Pencil. Stayed for 9 nights with two other friends in a family room of 4 last October 2013.

1. Location- The hostel's location was great. Place was safe and quiet since it was just far enough from the party places in Hongdae but near enough that you could easily access restaurants and other places to hang out at. It's a short 5 minutes walk from Hongik Univ Station in Line 2.

2. Value for Money- For about 55-60 USD/night for a room for 4, the place was a steal. It has free (and very fast!) WIFI, a tv, a ref, an ac and heater, a clean and spacious enough bathroom, a mini kitchen and a washer and dryer. You could easily cook your own food and wash your clothes. Kitchen utensils and cookwares could easily be borrowed from the reception for a minimal deposit of 10,000 Won which would be returned when you check out. Room was also spacious and clean.

3. Service. Service was great. Immediately received an e-mail from them when I did the booking with complete instructions (photos and videos) on how to get to the hostel from the airport. The staff (Jin, Ricky and Grace) were great too and were all very accommodating, they even taught us how to go to places and printed out information for us since we wanted to take the bus to one of our destinations instead of taking the train.

Definitely coming back here again when I come back to Seoul. :D It's the best value for your money

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank KatViacrusis
Reviewed 7 December 2013

The hostel was easy enough to locate with the provided directions. Our room was on the fourth floor and with so much shopping stashed in our luggage, the climb on the narrow steps was agonizing. Facilities-wise, it was great as we had a washing machine, stove and microwave in the room. You can pay a deposit to bring up pots and cutleries, but unfortunately I never got mine back as the staff weren't around when I checked out at about 8am. The cleaning service can be improved.. our entire room and the bin was untouched. There was just piling trash in the bathroom. The hostel is about 8 mins walk from Hongik University Station.. quite a walk with all the bags you'd have earned from shopping at Hongdae and the other places the subway conveniently connect you with. There are some good cafés in close proximity to the hostel to check out.. good for whenever you're feeling peckish. The stay overall had extreme pros and cons. My next visit to seoul would most likely find me in another accommodation.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

Cleaness: dun feel like they provide the cleaning service. Under the bed, it's dusty.

Location: nothing there but 15minutes walk from Hongik Univ station which i find it kinda long diatance after sightseeing n shopping. Going to exit 9 of Hongik Univ is different world. It's a lot more crowded.

Service: after booking the hotel, they send us an email which show how to reach the hotel in detail map, description, n video. The intern i met is super friendly. We place our luggages at 9am since their office opens at 9am. Earliest check in is 11am. The intern help us out a lot during our trip there especially she called to the mobile operator company for us to get the location to get local EG sim :)
The staff there are helpful in providing advice on where to travel around ^^

It's the best value of $ to stay in two with group of friends

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Pencil Hostel 2 has the friendliest and most helpful staff (Jin!), the rooms and bathrooms are clean, spacious, air-conditioned, and even have kitchen appliances, a big fridge/freezer, and a washing machine. I've stayed here several times and will continue to do so when I'm in Seoul. The hostel is a close walk from the Hongik University station which is on several subway lines (including the AREX line which goes from the airport to Seoul train station!)

The Hongdae area is really fun to go out in at night, and there are so many delicious restaurants and cafes (including the famous Hello Kitty cafe) close by. The nightlife is great, and it's so convenient to be able to walk back to Pencil Hostel.

I highly recommend staying here for groups of 2-4 (very economic choice); I've been to other hostels in the area and this one was the best, in my opinion. Book ahead on their site or hostelworld, as it does fill up on busy weekends. The only other advice I'd give is to bring your own toiletries and towels! They do "provide" towels but they're just about big enough to blow your nose with.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends