All reviews noodles public bath free ramen free spa wifi speed free shuttle hot tub restaurants and bars nice room breakfast buffet convenient location pajamas onsen gangnam sauna amenities conditioner
Reviewed 10 March 2018

I live in the US but have plenty of relatives and friends in Seoul to stay with; I choose to stay at hotels when I visit because I can come and go as I please without having to answer to anyone.

In my opinion, this hotel is more for people don't have plans and want to relax, so it's not really my style of hotel, or for anyone who just needs a clean, not-too-cheap place to keep his/her luggage, shower, and pass out for 5-6 hours every day.

I didn't book the smallest sized room here, but it was TINY - claustrophobia-inducing regardless, including the narrow bathroom. It's good that they have a small bath-house you can shower at instead and hang out in all day, with bathrobes in each room that all of the guests walk around in all over the hotel. I definitely saw lots of guests lounging at the hotel at all hours of the day as I came and went.

The other thing is, they have lots of perks you've never considered, like pillows of varying hardness and height that you can just take up to your room from a cubby downstairs and a simple noodle snack offered at nighttime, but lack little things that you would want or expect (I can't recall what they were off of the top of my head, but I remember thinking "X and Y would be nice to have because most hotels would have them").

I tried the breakfast food (it's a casual walk-in-and-seat-yourself buffet) and it was bland but not bad. They definitely try to impress with quantity, and there is nothing I can complain about.

There is also free parking (validated), for anyone who rents a car or has local visitors.

The real CONS I found were:
1) Shuttle service seems very limited in terms of times and locations.
2) Location - the hotel is sort of in the middle of nowhere, not close to any subway; however, bus stops are close by. The buses didn't directly go anywhere I personally wanted to go, but I mostly took cabs, which were easy enough to catch. Unfortunately, it was difficult to tell the cabs exactly where to go when I was returning to the hotel. Not all of the drivers knew the landmarks/points of interest I pointed out.
3) Stuffiness/noise - rooms are quiet enough as long as you KEEP THE WINDOWS SHUT AT ALL TIMES. However, my room was tiny and stuffy even in March, and no amount of AC/dehumidifier seemed to do the trick, so I tried cracking open the windows and leaving them open while I was out (despite the really bad smog reports). As soon as I returned and shut them due to noise, it got stuffy again.

Also, I stayed here for about a week, and unfortunately my dad ended up suddenly getting hospitalized on my first day, so that I mostly shuttled back and forth from a hospital for my entire stay and couldn't take full advantage of the breakfast buffet I had paid for. One morning, I quickly stopped by the buffet and ate as fast as I could so that I could go to the hospital again ASAP. I walked out of the restaurant and a waiter said goodbye as I left, and I said the same. There is a bench in the hallway next to the restaurant, and I sat there for a second to plan out my day, then remembered I had forgotten to grab a yogurt (Yoplait container?), so I went back and grabbed one and sat on the bench next to the restaurant again. I was about to eat the yogurt there with a plastic spoon before heading out of the hotel, but the waiter I had spoken to earlier came running out, stuck out his palm, and said in Korean that I am not allowed to take food from the restaurant, especially after having left the buffet already. He waited in the hallway with his hand held out until I got up and handed the plastic container back to him. This was in full view of other guests and other hotel employees. It was extremely embarrassing, like I was a child being scolded by a teacher at school.

I know he had no idea about my situation of not having slept for days and having shuttled back and forth all day and night from a hospital, and it's really not his problem, but I was really tired/broken down from my vacay-turned-nightmare week and it felt AWFUL to be scolded about a stupid container of yogurt, especially in public. I didn't think it was a big deal, as it was in a plastic throwaway container. Mind you, I am 35 years old. Plus I don't think he would have done this to anyone who looks older or who doesn't speak Korean.

Anyway, although it certainly didn't help, that last part ultimately wouldn't stop me from staying here again. The dealbreaker is more that the location was inconvenient for meeting friends in trendy eating/shopping areas or even for going touring, and that the amenities are more for guests who want to stay in and take baths, or sit around for extended periods of time and eat buffet breakfasts for $15-20, and return to the hotel early in the evenings to get free noodles at 9pm. My agenda doesn't fit with that. BUT it wasn't a terrible stay, either, all things considered.

Room tip: Room shapes are TINY and NARROW, even for Seoul.
Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank anonR9
Reviewed 14 November 2017

My husband, infant son, and I enjoyed our stay at this hotel. We miss it!

We would like to express our gratitude to Choi, the young man who worked at the breakfast everyday we were there. He was genuine, kind, competent, and quick. He would seat us, and when it was a slower period he would come by and check on us. He was amazing with our young son, and even returned the baby spoon we left behind. Please give him a hefty bonus, raise, and appreciation. What a true gentleman you have on your staff. He is definitely memorable.

Anyway... to the meat of this review!

+ THE BREAKFAST - opt in for the breakfast. It was so good and had all the traditional Korean options/side dishes. If you prefer only English breakfast it isn't so good. But YUM it was so worth it. We ate daily and never got bored.
+ 9:30pm - 11pm: nightly complimentary ramen noodles. We never went a night without ramen before bed!
+ Clean and modern bathroom that includes shampoo, conditioner, body wash, razor, and toothbrushes.
+ Free onsen!
+ Everyone speaks English very well.
+ Shuttlebus to Myeongdong daily, shopper's heaven.
+ Middle of Gangnam - a lot of food and shopping - ask the concierge for a map!
+ 2pm - midnight: tea time in the lobby. There is various teas and a brewer that makes fresh Americanos.
+ Dormy Inn pajamas: you can visit onsen and breakfast in your pajamas that are fresh from the maids daily.
+ The shuttle (KAL bus) is right next door at the Novotel for $16,000 WON.
+ The bed is new, firm, and sturdy.

The not-so-great
- Size of the room: if you are travelling with one other person or by yourself it is ok. If you need space, upgrade or pick somewhere else. We could barely fit two luggages in our room and there wasn't much dresser/storage space. It was almost like sleeping in a walk-in closet.
- There are many blinking LED lights - bring something to cover them.
- The linens and blankets are cheap and kind of rough.

**All in all, I would re-book Dormy Inn in Gangnam, again. Our friends booked a simple hotel nearby and they were amazed at all the amenities Dormy had to offer despite such a modest price. Thank you Dormy Inn. Keep it up and we hope to see you again in the future!**

Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Anna M
dormy d, front dest at Dormy Inn Seoul Gangnam, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2017

Dear Anna M,

We would like to express our appreciation to you for staying with us and leaving us thoughtful comments.
We shall keep working hard to provide convenient, comfortable service and also a great selection of various package programs for our guests.
Thank you again for sharing your experience.

We will look forward to seeing you again soon at our hotel, Dormy Inn Seoul Gangnam.

Reviewed 10 November 2017 via mobile

I stayed here one night with my wife.
I think this hotel is most suitable for business travellers and individual tourist.
I stayed in Deluxe double which is larger than normal room and I got 16f the highest and night time view was good. There is not many tall building in front so I could see N tower.
Room was not very big but still cozy and bed and pillows were very comfortable.
This hotel has Japanese onsen style public bath which is great to refresh. You can use it all night for free.
In nighy time, you can have Japanese ramen for free.

Breakfast is buffet style meal with combination of Japanese,Korean and Western dishes. I paid around $20 for 1 person and believe it was good choice to have BK here.
Overall I had a great time here.
Only downside is the location.
It is little bit away from subway station and not many restaurantd and shops near here. (But if you want calm place to stay, this is the one for you)

Date of stay: November 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank dolmindol
dormy d, FRONT at Dormy Inn Seoul Gangnam, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2017

Dear dolmindol,

Reviewed 29 August 2017

This is not a fancy hotel, but everything very efficient and sufficient!
Excellent use of space, friendly staff, good and clean rooms and facility!
Also it is nicely located, though i think the other branch has even better location.

Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
dormy d, front at Dormy Inn Seoul Gangnam, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2017

Dear YaldaM,

Reviewed 8 June 2017 via mobile

I stayed there for 4 nights with my friend in a twin share room. The size of this room is not too big but enough for us. The room is very clean and the hotel is very new and clean too. It's not very easy to get taxi outside the hotel but subway station is not far. In general we both are happy with the stay.

Date of stay: June 2017