“Stark reality of Soviet era”
Review of Brutal Tours

Brutal Tours
Ranked #19 of 271 Tours in Tbilisi
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Tbilisi’s Soviet Concrete Walking Tour - An 8 hours walking tour through the capital of Georgia, spiced up with more concrete and soviet architecture than you could probably handle
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

When we travel we look for tours of the offbeat or unhinged variety. I quickly found brutal tours. It was exactly what we were looking for. Not only were their sites not on the usual tourist track, but this one was conducted at night! The tour showed us the crumbling remains of now abandoned heroic Soviet structures as well as the monstrosities that are inhabited by local citizenry and displaced persons. All topped off by a lively dinner and drinks in a local restaurant (without another tourist in sight). Our guide David was very knowledgeable and showed extensive study of the era was, before he was even born.
Top marks for a wonderful evening!

2  Thank Indstrl
in 3 reviews
"georgia"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

As someone who is very passionate about architecture, this was a must-do on my list while visiting Tbilisi. We went on the second day of our stay and it was a great decision - you become familiar with the city, it’s people and it’s history. Maurice was a great guide and knew a lot of relevant history. Even if you’re not that into architecture, you should do this tour. It introduces you to so much of Tbilisi and Georgia’s incredibly rich history and political development. The buildings are insanely beautiful and I appreciated having the opportunity to get access to them. I highly recommend doing the brutal tour!

2  Thank Rima A
Reviewed 13 November 2017

This is an intriguing look at the modern, monumental concrete and steel soviet legacy in this amazing city. Fascinating to see. Maurice was a pleasure to hang out with.

2  Thank Sepp J
Reviewed 1 November 2017

If you go to Tbilisi you should definitely book a Brutal Tour, for at least two reasons:

1. if you are a concrete/Soviet architecture lover, you will find the gems you are looking for. You will see the most beautiful Soviet buildings in and around the city. You will also have plenty of time to photograph them, as the visit runs from 10am to 5pm.

2. If you are not familiar with Soviet/Brutal architecture, then you can't miss this kind offbeat tour. It will surely enrich your trip and make your experience unique. No other tour provides such breathtaking moments.

I spent an unforgettable day with David, a very talented artist. His knowledge of the place, his passion for it, and his poetry made me fell in love with the city even more deeply than I was before.

I tend not to visit the same city twice, but this was my second time in Tbilisi and I plan to return there in the very near future. I will surely book another Brutal tour, hopefully longer than a single day.

1  Thank irinamarchesini
See more reviews
Reviewed 21 October 2017

I have travelled to Georgia with Brutal Tours twice this year. The first trip fulfilled my lifelong ambition to see the rusting cable cars at Chiatura. I simply couldn't have done this without the help of Maurice and Helene. This was more like travelling with likeminded friends. I had such an amazing time that I rebooked to travel to the other side of Georgia with Brutal Tours in September. If you want to travel off the beaten track and truly get under the skin of the country then these are the guys to make it happen. I really can't wait to travel with them again. For the record, I NEVER return to the same country twice so that is testament to how great Brutal Tours are that I'm planning a third trip.
PS be sure to take very hot chilli oil for Maurice as he can't buy it out there

5  Thank Jivecat