My wife and I stayed at the Vila Chaumieres for a week over Christmas. From the moment we arrived on the late night transfer bus from the airport to the time of departure, our hosts Richard and Ursula made us feel welcome and made every effort to make our stay as enjoyable as possible. Their staff are charming and well trained, and the restaurant lived up to its reputation as one of the best in Port Vila, although I would have liked to have seen a few lower priced additions to the menu which would probably have encouraged us to eat there more often.
Let me say that the Vila Chaumieres isn't for everybody. It doesn't cater for children under 16, has no swimming pool (although one was in the final stages of construction at the time of writing), no noisy disco or TV in the rooms, and is about 4 kilometres outside Port Vila. Drawbacks for some perhaps, but for us they worked in our favour: the atmosphere was lush and tranquil, the lagoon delivered its romantic promise every day, and every foray into town (current fare 150vt) on one of Port Vila's battered but frequent mini-buses was an adventure in itself.
We stayed in one of the lagoon view rooms with a spacious balcony whose great feature was sliding concertina glass doors which when folded back turned the room and the balcony into one big open space. I've read some criticism on this website of the standard of these rooms which I think is unfounded considering we were not paying anything like 5-star hotel prices. Our air-conditioning worked quite well, the bathroom facilities were fine, and above all, we weren't plagued by insects which we had expected in such a tropical location, indeed we hardly saw any mosquitoes during our entire stay.
All in all, a value-for-money comfortable stay in a stylish setting with wonderful food - what more could you want?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Vila Chaumieres is a child-free Resort set in a lovely tropical garden on the banks of Erakor Lagoon. Renowned for its excellent restaurant, and situated just 4 km from the centre of Port Vila, it offers a peaceful retreat to the discerning traveller seeking an alternative to the large tourist resort, but still within easy reach of all facilities and holiday amenities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, lastminute.com.au, Hotels.com, Expedia APAC, Wotif.com, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Vila Chaumieres reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vila Chaumieres Hotel Port Vila
- Vila Chaumieres Port
- Vila Chaumieres Vanuatu/Port Vila