“2nd time back...”

Ranked #12 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Sydney, Australia
“2nd time back...”
Reviewed 19 December 2011

Love this place to bits.... just had another 4 days there. Such an awesome, relaxing place to stay. Any Aussie would love it. Great music, great staff, tasty food. The snorkeling is incredible.
The only think lacking is air con, but you get over it quick with the view, and everything else there.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Australia
Reviewed 29 November 2011

We absolutely loved away, to the point where we were booked in somewhere else for an odd night during our stay and decided to forego the cost of being a "no show" and spend an extra night at Hideaway (at full rate instead of our normal discount pre-booked rate) instead.

The staff are so friendly we got lots of hugs from the local employees before we left. Even allowed us to leave luggage here for 4 days while we flew to another island for a volcano viewing side trip. Particular thanks to Alice, the bar staff and Sue, the once English manager - you were all wonderful. Everybody else was very friendly, too.

While the underwater Post Office is a bit Ho-Hum (I had to retrieve a bunch of mail off the ocean floor and perform a temporary repair to the letterbox), the snorkelling is unbeatable. Unfortunately a lot of the coral is dead and bleached, but the fish are fantastic. While the Yasawa Islands in Fiji have greater numbers, the fish here are far larger and of greater variety.

The BBQ was great, and the trip through Mele village is not to be missed. Happy hour from 4 to 6 was my wife's favourite though!

Anytime we go back to Efate, we will spend most of our stay at Hideaway.

Room Tip: east facing rooms don't get as much wind and are closer to the bar.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AussieAlf
Campbelltown, Australia
Reviewed 20 November 2011

We have just spent 8 wonderful nights at Hideaway island. This was our second stay here and we chose again to stay in the 2 bedroom Villa. As well as my husband, we took my parents for their first overseas holiday in 25 years. Dad has just turned 70 and mum is 68. On arrival there was a nice bottle of wine on ice with 4 glasses sitting on the dining table with beautiful flowers.

The villa was as beautiful as before and it is so nice to have your own private pool that is cleaned daily. The villa also has a house keeper that comes in everyday. We always came back after being out to find the villa spotlessly clean, beds made, our clothes folded, fresh towels etc. The view is to die for from all the glass doors of the villa and the private deck.

I cannot speak more highly of the staff. Coming down to the restaurant of a morning for breakfast you would hear the staff singing and laughing, it was always such a great start to the day. My Parents were quickly named Papa and Mama, an endearing term for older people. My mum isn’t very agile and everytime we had to go across to the mainland or back to hideaway there was always help to get her on and off the boat. The security guards on the mainland were fantastic. The boat driver always helped as well and any other staff that were around ran over to make sure she got on and off the boat ok. The staff always took the time to stop for a chat and a laugh.

All of the staff work tirelessly to make sure all the guests are happy. In particular Stella and Rachel quickly became special people to us. They are such beautiful happy people. Helinda and the girls at reception were always so helpful and nothing was a problem.

I could not recommend a more enjoyable place to stay for your holiday.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank jodybelinda
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 29 October 2011

My sister and I have just come back from a week on Hideaway Island staying in the two bedroom villa. The villa is lovely with two rooms, two bathrooms, a spa and it's own private pool. It was perfect for two single girls wanting our own space. The only slightly negative thing about the villa is that it is not overly well maintained. There were a number of things not working in it such as a ceiling fan, outside flood lights and a ventilation windows winder. The management of Hideaway should spend a little more time and money on ensuring the smaller things are maintained because it really is a lovely place, full of character.

Hideaway Resort itself is delightful. The staff are very friendly and accommodating. It's great to know that the resort is owned and run by Mele Villagers and the money goes directly to the locals, not some rich overseas investor. You don't get 5 star luxury but you do get a relaxed, no fuss, friendly place to chill out and enjoy. The Mojito cocktails are to die for!! Especially during happy hour 4-6 every day when all cocktails are half price! :)

The snorkelling is fabulous. Although, having snorkelled there three years ago, this time I did notice a lot of storm damage to the inner coral reefs. I am sure this will repair itself slowly over time. But, the outer reef is as impressive as ever and the abundance and variety of fish is staggering.

As seems to be the case in most places in Vanuatu, the food is very basic and standard 'Western' fair like burgers and chips. Don't expect any nice seafood here (like we did) and you won't be dissappointed.

Overall a great place and highly recommended.

Room Tip: The two bedroom villa is very private, with it's own full size kitchen, air conditioning, tv, wa...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank jules1009
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed 24 October 2011

I stayed at Hideaway for 7 nights in Twin Share #2. The room was a generous size with a double bed and twin bunk bed, mini bar fridge, sink basin, mirror, wall mounted fan, floor fan and hangers to hang up clothes. The wrap around balcony had a clothes line and pegs to dry towels, togs, and clothing. My room was serviced daily and I really liked arriving home to towels shaped as serpents, star fish, etc and the bouquet of flowers on the table. These rooms share a toilet and shower block. I never had to wait to use these facilities and there were always tidy (I am guessing that they were serviced several times a day).
The restaurant and bar were excellent. Continental breakfast was included in the room cost - 4 types of cereal, freshly baked banana muffins, toast, pressed coffee, tea, and juice. The hot breakfast menu looked good with options like omellettes, bacon and eggs, french toast, pancakes (ranging in price from 550Vt to 850Vt). Lunch was delicious - beef burgers, chicken burgers, hot chips, steak sandwich, toasted sandwhiches, salads -- I only had one lunch from the "adult" menu because the portions were massive. The kids menu portions were ample for my appetite. Dinner was always delicious - for the All Blacks/Australia RWC semi final game, the special was pizza for 1000Vt (it was a full dinner plate!). I recommend the grilled chicken with creamy gnocchi (I had it twice!). I had the t-bone steak with mash potatoes and seasonal vegetables which wasn't as nice as it looked (the steak was well done [I ordered medium], the mash potatoes were over worked and the vegetables were water logged but the mushroom sauce was lovely).
Tuesday - go on the Mele Village walk and take some individually wrapped lollies for the children who give you flowers as you walk through the village. And be sure to try the kava.
Tuesday - Manager's night. It was a fantastic to chat with Sue and Stella about Vanuatu, their lives, our lives.. and to chat more over drinks with some of the other guests.
Thursday - the Melanesian Feast was a good experience.Welcomed with a flower crown and offered a cup of kava, a band from the village played some music. Food was plenitful and and they even arranged for Joe the barman to come to us with drinks as needed. Heaps of dancing around the fire.
I went into Vila twice - both times in the morning. From Hideaway it is a 5 minute boat ride, and a 300Vt 10-15 minute bus ride depending on where the locals you pick up along the way are heading. I also went to the Cascade Water Falls which was a 200Vt bus ride in the other direction. I didn't really want to go anywhere else so I didn't. The beach is a coral beach - bring reef shoes or flip-flops (jandals) and be sure to wear them in the water too. I went swimming every morning at 6am, staked out my place on the beach (under the trees) early in the morning and went snorkelling whenever the heat and humidity got to me. The snorkel safari was fun and the glass bottom boat was neat. Definitely send a postcard in the underwater post office (its only 50m off shore and about 1.5m under the surface). The 'dive boys' are good fun and hilarious to joke around with.
I aimed to escape reality and I certainly did so. Away from the hustle and bustle of a city, and without the glitz and glamour of the high end resorts, this is the place to stay on Efate. Everyone who works there is friendly and is more than willing to go out of their way to help you out. They are genuinely interested in getting to you know you and want you to have the best possible experience in Vanuatu. If I didn't have to go back to work tomorrow, I would be back on a plane and staying at Hideaway.

Room Tip: The two twin- queen- share rooms that overlook the water have more windows as they are on the corner...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo