New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“A beautiful place and fun way to see it.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Edge Vanuatu - CLOSED

Edge Vanuatu
More attraction details
Owner description: EDGE Vanuatu is a multi-award winning Adventure Tourism Company featuring the Cascades Abseil. Our clients are transferred to the beautiful Mele Cascades, after the briefing and gear fitting you are taken on a walk to our Practice Cliff, first stopping out our Lookout. We have an 8m Practice Cliff where we teach you the basics of abseiling beside a lovely rock pool. Then it's 50 m down the waterfall in two 25 m pitches, the first passing a cave and on the second you cross underneath the waterfall before landing in the pool at the bottom and being guided back through the spectacular Mele Cascades for refreshments and a chance to view the photos from your tour.
Melbourne, Australia
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“A beautiful place and fun way to see it.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

Firstly, even if you don't do the abseil, do go to the cascades. The park is beautiful and even the little touristy area down the bottom is a nice place to spend some time. We were there in July so it wasn't very hot, but in summer this would be a great place for a swim.

The abseil was a good experience. If you've never abseiled before or haven't done much climbing, abseiling, or the like you'll have a ball. The guides are friendly and professional. Everything is provided, the equipment is all Petzl (a good quality European brand of climbing gear) and there is a practice session on a small cliff before you go down the cascades.

If you've done a bit of this stuff before, it's still worthwhile, but the 50m abseil is actually two 25m pitches and it goes by fast. You start down the cliff hauling rope through your device to get going, then step over a couple of uneven rocks to get a good position then a couple of jumps and you're done. When I got to the bottom I though I was halfway down and we were just getting ready for the next pitch.

That said, I would still recommend going as it is a beautiful place and the cascades are pretty cool viewed from right in the middle of them.

As I said, we were here in July and though it was a nice sunny day, standing in the water, soaked, waiting to do the last pitch I was a bit cold. I was just wearing board shorts and a rashie, but I noticed the guides were all wearing short wetsuits. If I was doing it again at the same time of year I reckon I would wear a neoprene vest for a bit of extra warmth. But I'm sure in summer the cool water is a welcome relief from the heat and humidity.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank jonmerry

Melbourne, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“I didnt want to, but I'm so happy I did”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2011

This was my husbands idea of a good time, not mine. But I am so happy that I did it. Troy and the rest of the team were so professional and made it seem so easy that I was actually nearly calm. It was the most amazing experience. I am scared of heights and not too happy about water and I loved it. So if you want to do something a bit different, give this a go, you wont be disappointed. Definately a highlight of our trip and one we will repeat when we come back. Plus I get to brag to everyone that I abseiled down a 50 metre waterfall. Thanks Troy.

Visited March 2011
1 Thank thorus7
Sydney, Australia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Should be ranked higher”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2011

I can't even begin to explain how amazing this was, I have travelled to a lot of places but this is one of my favourite days and I would do it again tomorrow. The climb to the top is hard but definitely worthwhile, the view is amazing. The practice site was great and Max gave the most impressive safety demonstration I have ever seen. The team, the day, the abseil down this amazing waterfall is something that I will never forget and if anyone asks me about it I would tell them this is a must for anyone's bucket list. Thanks Troy, Max and the crew for a beautiful day that I will never forget.

Visited April 2011
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Amazing experience, wonderful guides!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2011

Our 4 teenagers (aged 20 and 17-year old triplets) did the abseiling with Edge, and what a great experience it was! All the guides were such lovely people, and such experienced abseilers. My son has mild cerebral palsy, but was keen to give it a go, On the walk up he was struggling, but all the guides (especially Jimmy) coaxed and motivated him, and physically helped him to make it to the top of the falls. They were so friendly and helpful with the girls as they abseiled down the cascades, and when my son's turn came, Tim actually came down with him, supporting him all the way. Frank, Caith and their mate were all fantastic, too, and we came away feeling it was one of the highlights of our holiday in Vanuatu.

Visited January 2011
Wagga Wagga, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2010

I went to Vanuatu in November with a group of 4 and this was one of the main things we wanted to do, and it didn't disappoint. We got picked up from our hotel and taken to the Mele Cascades. They are very beautiful and whether you do the abseiling or not, they are definately worth a visit. A rundown of the safety side of things is done before a 20minute hike up to the top of the waterfalls, this is done with many breaks especially as it gets steeper which we were all thankful for. There are some great photo opportunities as you head up with great views of the sea and hideaway island. The guides take you down the pratice wall and then to the big waterfall, they are very professional and make you feel very comfortable and safe. You can tell how confident the guides are with the abseiling which really put me at ease - as I had never abseiled before.
The whole tour is a wonderful experience, particularly for those who are adventurous. The only complaint I have is the abseiling harness dug into my 'love handles' which burt a bit the next day, but the tour was well worth it.