“Best flying fox ever”

Ranked #13 of 89 Restaurants in Port Vila
Price range: USD 12 - USD 35
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The typical French Restaurant in Vila since 1973Well known for it's tender grilled steaks,it's delicacies such as fresh-water prawns flambe,coconut crab, lobsters, wild pigeon and it's famous marinated flying fox in red wine.
Adelaide, Australia
“Best flying fox ever”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Ok its the only time I have had a flying fox, and following snails you can't say I held back. Actually it was delicious with a really rich red wine sauce to combat the gaminess - although the patron was astounded when I said it was less strong than rabbit.

The owner of 40 years knows his stuff and you do feel as if in a bistro in the centre of France here. The décor and menu haven't changed in 40 years and that is part of its charm. Not the best wine list but caters to Australians well.

This is a must visit restaurant and overall was very good value and fun.

• Visited June 2013

Launceston, Australia
“Good food, nice atmosphere”
Reviewed 28 May 2013 via mobile

Went to L'Houstalet for dinner on the recommendation of a long time Australian expat. resident of Port Vila. My wife and I were not disappointed. The owner greeted us and suggested the inside, air conditioned, non smoking area. The waitresses were polite and attentive. The menu was comprehensive, well presented and prices were reasonable. Both of our meals were very good. Drinks were served promptly. We were staying at the nearby Kaiviti Motel and when informed we were to walk back to our accommodation, the restaurant owner very kindly offered to drive us. We accepted this very nice and unexpected gesture. L'Houstalet is well worth a visit.

• Visited May 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“If you are game”
Reviewed 24 May 2013

The speciality of this restaurant is pigeon and flying fox (photos below) - warning these dishes can have adverse effects on a sensitive stomach as we discovered later in the night! I had coconut crab soup as an entree - it was in fact mushroom soup and no crab was to be seen. My experience of the food was dissapointing but others in our party found it great. The owner, Clement, has been in business 40 years - he is brusque but very efficient.

• Visited May 2013
“Interesting Place, Great French Onion Soup”
Reviewed 5 May 2013

The place is a little bit run down and old skool, had a cat running around... but also had some old school charm to it as well.

The food was not presented the best, but was VERY nice, had a great time eating here. would recommend people to try it.

• Visited June 2012
Adelaide, Australia
“Disapointing- wouldn't go back-arrogance”
Reviewed 4 May 2013

On recommendation from a French national in Port Vila and on the look out for good french cuisine in a nice French restaurant, L'Houstalet was suggested. When my husband asked the gentleman taking our order (I thinkit was the owner) if the dish he was placing an order for was 'a large serve' being very hungry and wanting to know if he should order additonal sides or a different dish that may be more satiating, he was met with a 'smug' and arrogant response "none of my dishes are large, but it is a main course" to which my husband sought to obtain further clarification on the size of the dish by seeking the owner's definition of 'not large'...the owner then responded with further arrogance and made some comment such as "Christ, large? it will be enough it is a main course". My husband felt humiliated and was inclined to stand up and walk out but as he is not a confrontational type of person stayed seated but was seething. The glass of red wine I ordered was served chilled, I sent it back requesting another one to be served at glass of room temperature, this was provided with no fuss. The meals were good quality food and tasty but nothing spectacular. We were disappointed to see that creme brulee did not feature on the Desert menu has we had hoped being a French restaruant?

• Visited April 2013