See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 5 January 2014

we stayed at the lodge for a total of 9 days and it was 9 days too many!
we arrived at the lodge to be shown to our rooms that had a total of 3 doors that did not have locks on them and being women we did not feel safe only to be moved to another room that had a shower with a blocked bath tub!!!
the sheets on the bed had blood stains on it and the brochure stated free WIFI and hot water but they were nowhere to be seen!
The second room that we were taken to had food on the table that was half eaten and still steaming so i'm sure the hotel staff were using these rooms for their own personal use!
The TV that was in our room was broken and when we asked the reception for someone to have a look she informed us that the cable guy will be here on Monday but he never showed for the duration of our stay the room service was very poor!
The barking dogs were another head ache keeping you awake every night with their wolf like howls!!!!
I will not recommend this place to anyone it needs a lot of attention and upgrading for it to be anywhere worth the money we paid!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank SallyLane T
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Check in day one: No doors locked, dirty rooms and dirty linen and a barely working fan. Be prepared to walk up three flights of stairs with no help with your luggage. We were moved after complaining that we did not get what we asked for and did not feel safe. We wanted a refund. A refund was refused. The young secretary put up with everything, while the actual owners were a no show. Was moved to another two rooms, both rooms had their own problems but we paid to all be together. Got one room to share with 2 beds for 4 women. This room was not clean and their was hot food sitting in the lounge room area. When questioned why it was not clean and why hot food was sitting in it. We were told it was the cleaners? Asking for more bedding seemed more of a drama and everything was about more money. To get any more mattresses put in the room would be at another cost to us. We had one mattress brought to us. Which meant myself and another person shared in turns sleeping on a small blood stained cane lounge; very uncomfortable. I still have a sore back and neck! Dogs howl and fight all through the night; very restless sleeps and we were up high on one of the floors. The stove did not work so we could not cook, tv did not work, shower did not work and blocked on first use, no hot water. Was asked to use the room next door for the shower. Only cold water again. Was told somebody would come and fix the tv. That did not happen. Telephone calls were very steep and be prepared to pay for calls that do not get through. You pay even if nobody picks up on the other end. Save your money and do not pay for their continental breakfast, you will have cornflakes and be making your own breakfast. Not happy at all! The owners need to answer to all our queries but we received nothing. Will never stay here again and will not recommend this place to anybody. It is a shame that they do not fix up any of these areas including the views from the balcony as this place has real potential. The day we turned up their was rubbish and alcohol bottles all through the back yard views of the lagoon. It is just a pitty that they do not look after the place inside and outside. An even bigger pitty that they did not look after their paying customers either.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank Viena F
Reviewed 16 October 2013

After reading the reviews on this place I was not sure if this would measure up. The lead up to staying was a little dubious with the lodge not having a place for me to stay the first night, so I stayed at Ut'one. I then went to the Lodge, after climbing 3 flights of stairs, the views were magnificent!. This place was great, it allowed for you to fully relax in your own space. It was large and spacious, with it's own kitchen, bathroom, dining area, lounge and outside balcony deck area.
It had been modernised with free wifi in the room and lovely bright walls and furnishings. I stayed for a week, and my daughter and grandson joined me. It was fabulous! There were a few tricks to hot showers, mainly don't try and have one in the morning when the lodge is full, but wait until the evening, but that was nothing.
Having the Lunarossa right next door made for easy dining if you didn't feel like cooking and the meals were reasonably priced.
I would stay here again!

Room Tip: Top floors seem to be the best, but I was prejudiced, because that's where I stayed
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Donna H
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We were really excited to be coming to visit Tonga for a family wedding & celebration, but once the shuttle left the paved road, I had a feeling the "lodge" was not going to be in quite the area I expected. Speaking of 'shuttle' it is the dirtiest, rattle trap I've ever ridden in and they will charge you $25 TOP a person.
So, we check into the 'deluxe suite' to find a mildewed shower ( I think it is mildew rather than dirt) anyway, I did not want to go in the shower without my jandals, and a refrigerator that was so moldy & dirty it was truly disgusting. The manager on duty agreed that it was unacceptable and agreed we would stay in another smaller unit. This was a 2 story downstairs unit, with a clean refrig-- but for being an apartment type set up, there is no coffee maker, not a single supply to start you off and absolutely no hair dryers. Not to mention a lack of hot water-- we had 2 hot showers in 7 days!!!!
Once we realized this was no fancy resort, even though it is not inexpensive, we resigned ourselves to the peaceful surroundings, until that is, the neighborhood doggie pack started up. What ever anyone else has mentioned about the barking roaming dogs I can confirm--- they bark furiously & non-stop any time of day or night. This is one of the most disappointing places I've ever stayed in and totally overpriced for what they offer. It may be typical for Tonga but I so wish I had stayed at Little Italy!!! Thank goodness the bed was great-- if you can sleep through all the noise!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Red F
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We stayed for two nights in an upstairs deluxe room. Our expectations of Lagoon Lodge were far from met. The bathroom was not clean and in desperate need of upgrading. The gas didn't work so we had no hot water and the shower head was so bad even a decent cold shower was a challenge. On a positive side the balcony was large and very inviting. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Luna Rossa next door saved our stay. For light sleepers the neighbourhood dogs that bark and fight all night may be a challenge. Please upgrade this lodge as it has a lot of potential.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple