All reviews tongan experience self catering across the road unit accommodation fiona island ferry wharf sunday
Reviewed 25 September 2017

I had a mixed experience, but I can confidently say that if you have a car, are with another person and are only there for a night or two, you will be fine.
The lady who runs the place is kind and helpful. I was by myself without a car and had booked 5 days - which all led to a bad experience. It was a good 25 mins walk to the closest shop (not town centre - but shop). The rooms looking out to the water don't show it in the picture, but were looking over the road, so very noisy for me. Some people wouldn't mind it though. The garden bungalows were quieter. The one I stayed in had a really hard bed and the toilet didn't flush well. But other than that is was fine. Other people staying there were quite happy (but again, they had only booked 2-3 days and had a car). The pool looked nice but the weather wasn't so great when I was there - not hot enough for a swim. The 'bar' area wasn't open and no food cooked on premises, which was okay if you are self catering (but I didn't have anything with me). The Wave cafe up the road (not open on Sunday or in the evenings) was close and did nice food. Across the road is a swimming area, but it's not a beach - rather a grassy area with stairs in to the water.

Room Tip: If you don't like noise, don't book a room looking over the water.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank ellebee2000
Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

This hotel is cheap but it's a bit rundown. It does the job if you need to overnighter somewhere but I wouldn't be basing any long term stays here. We stayed in a studio room and went for the place because it wasn't too far from the wharf (we got a ferry to another island). The town centre is about a 5-10min drive and probably 30 min walk. Not a lot out near the hotel itself. Wifi available in reception. The lady at the front desk was helpful.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 June 2017

Very friendly, quiet, clean, and a very local feeling. We spent two nights on arrival in Tonga, and chose to come back here for three more nights before we left. Fiona could not have been more kind and helpful to us, with suggestions for excursions and activities, and even arranging transport as needed. Our room was very comfortable and had everything we required. We arrived feeling like tourists and left feeling like family.We would certainly go back and stay here again.

Room Tip: Garden fales were quiet and charming. Tonga at its best!
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pandj1502
Reviewed 26 June 2017

Its comparatively cheap here compared with other options in town - it was T$100 for a double with sea view (T$80 without) but the rooms are in need of some modernization, painting or at least cleaning. There was a small ill equipped kitchenette if you needed one but I didn't use it. Security was poor as the french doors had no locks. I wouldnt go back but perhaps the garden Fales are better at T$150?

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2017

When we inquired in February about accommodation we also wanted to confirm if there was a free shuttle service from the airport as stated on their website which they affirmed by email. When we booked the accommodation a few days later, we were told that they had updated their website, thus charging now a $30.00 fee.
We then emailed back quoting their email but they did not reply. So we cancelled the booking with a request of confirmation and free of charge, again no reply.
Instead, we now booked an airbnb place.
We found their behaviour very unprofessional.
When we had a look over the fence at the place recently, we were glad we had not booked it...

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple