All reviews cable car king solomon pizza home away from home high commission in town cafe next door bamboo bar the past months fun place to stay bar and restaurant cultural dancing air conditioning noodles baked beans week stay live music
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Hotel is located within walking distance to main street and local markets. Staff are very friendly and speak good english. The food is great and caters to tourists. Hosts are extremely friendly and helpful. Great swimming pool and gym for guests. Cable car to take guests up to their rooms and runs 24/7.

Date of stay: November 2012
Reviewed 7 November 2012

Had another fabulous holiday at the iconic King Sol, known locally amongst expats as the place to be. Famous for its hospitality with long time Australian owners Shane and Sue, who work hard to make your stay as comfortable as possible. They have kept the hotel to its traditional polynesian theme with tropical gardens, waterfall pool and a gym and for your comfort have added a fabulous licensed coffee shop and a new cocktail bar, both with air con. All rooms have air con and are kept clean and tidy by wonderful helpful local staff and the restaurant food is fabulous. Over the 10 years I have been visiting, I have never found a room to be dirty. Electrical items from time to time need repair/replacement and this can sometimes be problematic but that just reminds me that I am in a third world country and not to expect everything to be perfect all of the time. I can't wait until my next visit.

Room tip: You might want to ask for a room with a balcony as they all balconies overlook the tropical gardens
Date of stay: October 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 21 October 2012

The King Sol is now quite an icon in Honiara...when first opened many years ago indeed the facilities were basic..but it was clean and comfortable ..as it is now with working TV and frig in room and a balcony above the pool. This hotel is indeed a haunt for local expats and locals alike so if you want to experience the real Honiara..stay here! I have also found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The bed was comfy, shower worked well and WiFi is available with the purchase of a Bumble Bee card...$50 NZ for 7 days / 250 GB...so quite adequate for email clearing...also the Bamboo Lounge next door ( owned by hotel ) is VERY good for breakfasts and lunches.

Remember ...you're in the Solomons...chill and deal with it!

Date of stay: October 2012
Reviewed 18 August 2012

After eating in both of the restaurants I was looking forward to a night staying after being in Gizo for two weeks. What a surprise. The reception is clean and staff are lovely. But the room was the surprise.
It was dark, two single beds and grungy. I lifted a pillow off the bed I didn't use to find dust and dirt on the bed. The bed I used was ok and it was late and I couldn't be bothered searching for a new room. The bathroom was frightening. One night was all I could stay and I would not return.

Date of stay: August 2012
3  Thank MarieS1
Reviewed 20 July 2012

I stayed here back in 2004 as part of the RAMSI peace keeping mission when there was lots of unrest in Honiara. There were 7 of us and we stayed at the King Solomon for 4 months so it had to be a home away from home for us. They really looked after us for most of this time. The cable car did not work for the first 2 months of our stay so we all got very fit running up and down the millions of stairs as our rooms were at the very top. The hotel is built on a steep hill so be prepared if the cable car is faulty! The food was very westernized too even though the only bakery in town went bust while we were there so no more fresh bread for us for the last 4 weeks of our stay. The rooms are basic but air conditioned and we all had a balcony with a great view of Honiara bay. The pool was the best in town at that time even though I kept getting ear infections which I'm sure were from the pool. The staff were helpful and friendly and put on a great Xmas day feast for us as we were there for Xmas and New Year! No internet at this hotel (back in 2004 anyway) so the local internet cafe got used regularly and stuff was cheap to buy. The hotel was ok for us as long term tenants but don't expect 5 star and you won't be disappointed. The location was close to town also and you could walk to most places. I wouldn't visit Solomon Islands again as it was very 3rd world back in 2004 and I'm sure it hasn't changed that much after reading the news. The place needs some big $ injected into it and the government are too corrupt to do this I think.....If you have to stay here for business and its paid for, its ok but I wouldn't choose it for a holiday destination.

Room tip: Go for the rooms at the top of the hill, the views are great.
Date of stay: July 2012