All reviews cable car king solomon pizza high commission in town cafe next door bamboo bar the past months walk up noodles baked beans other hotels breakfast buffet well equipped gym week stay post office flat screen tv
Reviewed 7 November 2012

Had another fabulous holiday at the iconic King Sol, known locally amongst expats as the place to be. Famous for its hospitality with long time Australian owners Shane and Sue, who work hard to make your stay as comfortable as possible. They have kept the hotel to its traditional polynesian theme with tropical gardens, waterfall pool and a gym and for your comfort have added a fabulous licensed coffee shop and a new cocktail bar, both with air con. All rooms have air con and are kept clean and tidy by wonderful helpful local staff and the restaurant food is fabulous. Over the 10 years I have been visiting, I have never found a room to be dirty. Electrical items from time to time need repair/replacement and this can sometimes be problematic but that just reminds me that I am in a third world country and not to expect everything to be perfect all of the time. I can't wait until my next visit.

Room Tip: You might want to ask for a room with a balcony as they all balconies overlook the tropical gardens
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 October 2012

The King Sol is now quite an icon in Honiara...when first opened many years ago indeed the facilities were basic..but it was clean and comfortable ..as it is now with working TV and frig in room and a balcony above the pool. This hotel is indeed a haunt for local expats and locals alike so if you want to experience the real Honiara..stay here! I have also found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The bed was comfy, shower worked well and WiFi is available with the purchase of a Bumble Bee card...$50 NZ for 7 days / 250 GB...so quite adequate for email clearing...also the Bamboo Lounge next door ( owned by hotel ) is VERY good for breakfasts and lunches.

Remember ...you're in the Solomons...chill and deal with it!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 August 2012

After eating in both of the restaurants I was looking forward to a night staying after being in Gizo for two weeks. What a surprise. The reception is clean and staff are lovely. But the room was the surprise.
It was dark, two single beds and grungy. I lifted a pillow off the bed I didn't use to find dust and dirt on the bed. The bed I used was ok and it was late and I couldn't be bothered searching for a new room. The bathroom was frightening. One night was all I could stay and I would not return.

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank MarieS1
Reviewed 20 July 2012

I stayed here back in 2004 as part of the RAMSI peace keeping mission when there was lots of unrest in Honiara. There were 7 of us and we stayed at the King Solomon for 4 months so it had to be a home away from home for us. They really looked after us for most of this time. The cable car did not work for the first 2 months of our stay so we all got very fit running up and down the millions of stairs as our rooms were at the very top. The hotel is built on a steep hill so be prepared if the cable car is faulty! The food was very westernized too even though the only bakery in town went bust while we were there so no more fresh bread for us for the last 4 weeks of our stay. The rooms are basic but air conditioned and we all had a balcony with a great view of Honiara bay. The pool was the best in town at that time even though I kept getting ear infections which I'm sure were from the pool. The staff were helpful and friendly and put on a great Xmas day feast for us as we were there for Xmas and New Year! No internet at this hotel (back in 2004 anyway) so the local internet cafe got used regularly and stuff was cheap to buy. The hotel was ok for us as long term tenants but don't expect 5 star and you won't be disappointed. The location was close to town also and you could walk to most places. I wouldn't visit Solomon Islands again as it was very 3rd world back in 2004 and I'm sure it hasn't changed that much after reading the news. The place needs some big $ injected into it and the government are too corrupt to do this I think.....If you have to stay here for business and its paid for, its ok but I wouldn't choose it for a holiday destination.

Room Tip: Go for the rooms at the top of the hill, the views are great.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Kia orana Sue and Shane, and all the wonderful King Solomon Hotel staff for giving me a "home away from home" for my first visit to the Solomons. I stayed for 10 nights while attending the 11th Festival of Pacific Arts as part of the NZ delegation, along with 2 other delegation members and we all thoroughly enjoyed our time there. My room was clean, comfortable bed, great shower, nice little balcony and the laundry service was great (and cheap!). I loved the pool, and the prompt attention paid by staff to any requests I had.It was great to be greeted each morning by happy and friendly staff (and owners!). I would also like to thank you for opening the hotel to my fellow delegates who appreciated having somewhere to come and swim, and to have time-out from Camp Panatina! And the night you had some of our musos including bands Pacific Underground, KOILE and singer Toni Huata perform in your bar was one of our best nights in Honiara! We also loved the Bamboo Cafe next door - best smoothies in town! My only suggestions for improvements would be:
1 Improve internet access for the rooms on the 7th floor as I could not access the wifi from 706
2 Have a couple of power adapters available at reception
3 Consider late night room service for snacks or maybe a vending machine?

Thanks again for giving me a lovely Honiara experience, best wishes, Caren Rangi

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends