All reviews cable car king solomon pizza high commission in town cafe next door bamboo bar the past months walk up noodles baked beans other hotels breakfast buffet well equipped gym week stay post office flat screen tv
Reviewed 12 April 2012

This hotel came as a relief after the week I had spent at a hotel on the outskirts of the city. Not only did I not need to drive to the office (a few minutes walk was all that was required) but the hotel was quiet, clean comfortable and had the internet connection that I needed in the room. The TV was a disaster but I was not seeking to watch other than on the odd occasion. The pool was pleasant and the facilities were fine for my needs. This is not a vacation hotel other for those on a working holiday. Food and bar facilities (complete with ex-pats) were also good, but the restaurant adjoining the hotel was indeed the highlight as recognisable western-style meals (breakfast and lunch) and coffee (caffe latte) were available.

I also enjoyed the local entertainment on Thursday evening - a nice companion to my meal.

On my short experience of Honiara I would strongly recommend this hotel to those travelling on a tight budget (the food is good!) or travelling for work related purposes where their contact location is in Central Honiara.

Room Tip: The hotel is set into the side of a hill with its own fenicular rail service to the rooms - the higher rooms have a better view if this is what you are seeking. My room had a view of the internal garden - this was sufficient for me.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 April 2012

The King Solomon is not the nicest hotel in Honiara but it is very adequate. Clean and comfortable, with decent security and above average service (for the islands). BUT . . . at what price???

It seems that anything that is adequate is considered a luxury in the Solomon Islands, for luxury prices are what they want to charge you. I would stay there again, but I would want to make sure I was on a business expense account, for I, personally, would not want to pay the price out of my own pocket.

What the whole country of the Solomon Islands needs to realize is that half the reason that tourism is not all that popular is that tourists can go to other islands (think Fiji, Vanuatu, Samoa, Tonga, or the Cook Islands) and get twice the value for half the money.

When presented with such a choice, most people will want to give the hot and sweaty Solomons a pass . . . and simply go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Go to Fiji instead.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Rooms are comfortable and clean, and have air conditioning! The pool is great. Staff are very friendly, remember your name and help you with travel rearrangements.
Good for a few days stay while waiting for flights.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 February 2012

King Solomon is not a high end hotel but it is a nice, clean hotel with a nice pool. A lot of expats live here as well. The rooms are big and clean. If you are looking for a hotel where you can spend your time for a holiday, this is not the place. It is just a clean place in Honiara, very good for a few days while doing business in town or waiting for your flight.

Room Tip: Opt for a standard room. They always give you the luxury room (I don't think there is a standard room anymore) but you get it for the price of a standard room (SBD 750)
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Anna188590
Reviewed 4 February 2012

The rooms are basic but clean and the pool area was nice. It is not the sort of place that you would go for a holiday but was a good place to crash when passing through Honiara. I had a couple of flights delayed and the staff were very helpful in helping me change my travel arrangements. There was also entertainment with dinner and free breakfast for the children.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family