“Great motel for divers”
Review of Guest Lodge Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Koror
Guest Lodge Motel
Ranked #22 of 29 Hotels in Koror
San Diego, Ca, USA
“Great motel for divers”
Reviewed 11 February 2012

I discovered family owned and run, Guest Lodge Motel last year and liked it so well I went back this year for 17 days. They have airport pick-up and delivery which is important as the flights mostly arrive and depart in the wee hours of the morning. The rooms are quite large and spacious with free TV, air conditioning, hot water shower and tub, one double bed, one single bed, couch, coffee table, another table and chair for your laptop, fridge and best of all-free WiFi, all at very reasonable prices. Most restaurants, the post office and markets are within a few blocks, but the motel is off the main street and is very quiet. I never once needed a taxi or rental car as the dive shop-in my case, Sam's Tours-provided transportation to and from the motel and everything else was in walking distance. If you do need a rental car to sight see or any tour information the very friendly motel staff will find you a very reasonable deal.
Note that if you are not in Palau for scuba diving or have a non-diving spouse that this motel has no swimming pool and is not on or near a beach.
Included some interior photos of the room I stayed in this year. All rooms are the same (half are reversed). Exterior is rather plain and humble but they do have a great balcony surrounding the exterior of all the rooms with a table with coffee and hot water available all the time as well as chairs and table for sitting outside.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank RingAroundTheWorld

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 12 August 2011

I debated very seriously where to stay in Palau for my vacation and felt that this hotel was going to give me the best value for the money, and having stayed there, I feel that I made the correct choice. The room was spacious and comfortable with a wicker couch and chair and a double bed and an additional single bed. The air conditioner (quite important!) was quite powerful, to the extent that I would turn it off after a while and the room would remain cool all night. I also appreciated having the small refrigerator, into which I put bottled water and several cans of soda that I guzzled quite a bit of. One of the very best features was the large balcony that surrounded the second floor (where all the rooms are). This was a great place to relax and share adventures with the other friendly guests, if you are so inclined (which I was). Also, the service there, from being picked up and then taken back the airport (at all odd hours), from fixing something that maybe needing fixing, to receiving a tray of coffee, to obtaining a rental car or other services, was always great and perfectly helpful. I think you will feel well-cared for.

While I did have a rental car for some of the days I was there which I needed for some of the things I wanted to do, such as visit the island of Babeldoab or treat myself to a dinner buffet at the Palau Pacific Resort, much of what I wanted to do was (for me) within walking distance, and for other things (such as scuba diving or Rock Island tours), the tour operators will pick you up at the hotel, so depending upon what you want to do, you may just not need a rental car at all. The post office is right there on the corner of the main street (where I mailed postcards) and next door is a collector stamp store, where I bought some beautiful souvenir stamps. Also right there is the fire station, police station, and jail building, useful for those who want to look at and maybe buy a Palauan storyboard from the jail gift shop (carved by the prisoners), but while my guidebook said that storyboards at the jail were the least expensive, I found that they were actually the MOST expensive and the cheapest (and best quality) storyboards were found at the gift shop of the Etpison Museum (a museum I loved), to which I also walked (I think it was about a twenty-minute walk, but if that is too far for you, there is a shuttle bus that stops there).

My favorite meal in Palau was at the Taj Indian restaurant, across the main street from that same "post office" corner, and also nearby are many other restaurants. I ordered a beef and rice stir fry lunch from the hamburger "hut" (that is in the architecture of a small Palaun house) right there in that vicinity.

What would have been an "upgrade" for me (but would have probably cost three times as much as The Guest Lodge) would have been a swimming pool, but for people who have been diving all day, or, like me, had been on excursions to the Rock Islands, maybe a pool isn't all that essential. (If you are traveling with children, a pool might be much more important.) I did discover, by the way, a free white sand public beach in the park beneath the large bridge between Koror and Babeldoab, although I did not swim there because it was a very rain-stormy day that day (welcome to Palau!).

Of course, you could have an entirely different trip, one more luxurious by staying at a place like the Palau Pacific Resort ($350, $500 a night?), but if that is what you are looking for, you probably wouldn't be reading this review, anyway.

One bit of advice--if you have scheduled a ride back to the airport at some ungodly time in the early morning (2 AM?), find out what number to call to rouse someone in case the driver oversleeps. The front office will be closed and locked tight. Just for your peace of mind, so that you can get some sound sleeping time prior to your long flight home.

Room Tip: Probably the best rooms are in the front because the balcony there is more spacious and sociable.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
8 Thank thomasdosborneii
Vanvouver, WA
Reviewed 6 April 2011

This is a basic motel, but for the price, location and service, it is hard to beat. We flew into Palau at about 11 pm and they were there to pick us up for the 15 minute ride to the motel. The room was large, basic, and worn down, but the linens were clean and everything was in working order. We even got to share our room with a cute 2" gecko. Didn't bother us one bit. We immediately went to bed after the long trip.

Each morning they served us free coffee(tasty) and helped answer every question we could come up with. We walked the block or so to the main street and visited several restaurants and stores. One day we got a taxi ride to a public beach (not very impressive), on another day we took a boat tour (fantastic) and another we rented a car for the day. The motel staff was very helpful in each case.

If you are looking for very basic accommodations at very reasonable rates, I would highly recommend Guest Lodge Motel.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank ejthomp
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 3 April 2011

If you want a clean, comfortable, affordable hotel with excellent service then you can;t do better than this. Sure, it is a bit shabby, but the rooms are spotlessly clean and the lovely woman who runs the place more than makes up for it. It's a tiny bit off the beaten track but you can still walk easily to restaurants and we walked to Fish n Fins a few times where we were diving. Best of all we had a big terrace where we could sit in the evening and drink beer and watch the rain. And it's cheap so it attracts other young laid-back traveller types. Rooms have A/C, cable TV and a little fridge and there's a laundry room.

Room Tip: You could ask for a room at the front
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
7 Thank mefloquine
Rocky Mountains
Reviewed 5 December 2010

Can't add too much that other reviewers haven't said. Despite the horrible hours that we arrived and departed from Palau, the Guest Lodge picked us up and dropped us back off at the airport (we stayed more than 2 days). The management was very helpful, always asking if we needed anything. On our first day it poured and they arranged to have a car delivered for a reasonable rental fee so we could sightsee without getting soaked. The car was from dj Rent a Car and was in good working condition and roomy. The Guest Lodge also provides free hot and cold water, and hot coffee and tea in the morning. There are picnic tables outside the rooms and we enjoyed socializing with the other guests over breakfast. Yes, the WiFi is slow and discontinuous but it works to receive and send your email. The rooms are nothing special but the location is fantastic for walking to restaurants and if you are diving (and there's not much else to do here), you don't spend much time there anyway. The a/c worked great and the fridge is handy for inexpensive happy hour after diving.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple